Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

easypazz wrote: »
    Why will it improve?

You can have all the rules and regulations you want but it won't stop illegal practices polluting the rivers on an ongoing basis.

Of course it will improve it will only go so far until the relevent authorities step in for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/just-20-of-ireland-s-rivers-are-pristine-down-from-500-in-1980s-1.4110018

20 pristine rivers left, down from 500 in the 80s. Agriculture the biggest polluter followed by treatment plants and septic tanks. How bad is it going to be in another 50 years? But nothing to see here folks, Ireland is insignificant.

Water pollution is very significant and is an indictment. However it has nothing to do with climate catastrophe and the war on carbon.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Water pollution is very significant and is an indictment. However it has nothing to do with climate catastrophe and the war on carbon.

It has a lot to do with saving the planet as mentioned in the subject of this thread

That recent volcano eruption will contribute to a significant amount of c02 emissions into the higher atmosphere, thought that was worth mentioning ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Micky 32 wrote: »
    That recent volcano eruption will contribute to a significant amount of c02 emissions into the higher atmosphere, thought that was worth mentioning ;-)

Don't know if you are of a religious persuasion, but if so, you might consider this in the context of the environmental discussion. Last 5 words are key.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

• Advertisement

Don't know if you are of a religious persuasion, but if so, you might consider this in the context of the environmental discussion. Last 5 words are key.

I wouldn’t expect you to get my last post anyway but i’ll educate you a little. Volcanos are one of the main contributors of c02.

But like all the other so called climate warriors they always try to steer away from the actual point, to suit their own agenda.

I wouldn’t expect you to get my last post anyway but i’ll educate you a little. Volcanos are one of the main contributors of c02.

The US Geological Society disagrees with you.
    According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide. Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Its actually predominantly SO2- pretty nasty...…..

Volcano’s spew the carbon dioxide higher into the atmosphere than cars do so volcano c02 absorbs less than C02 from cars.

80 mackerel is nothing!

Jesus these fellas would weigh yr ****in porridge portion if they could

• Advertisement

80 mackerel is nothing!

Jesus these fellas would weigh yr ****in porridge portion if they could

Which fellas?

Volcano’s spew the carbon dioxide higher into the atmosphere than cars do so volcano c02 absorbs less than C02 from cars.

What in the f*ck is the point of this nonsense statement?

Its actually predominantly SO2- pretty nasty...…..

The c02 is actually quite significant. When earth was covered by 3 mile thickness of ice it was the c02 from volcanos that managed to melt it.

Not much more nonsense from some of your posts.

Micky you should go and speak at the UN yourself begorrah

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Mach Two

When the ice caps melt and the oceans rise she will be able to sail forever. There will be so much ocean to sail on. Win win situation for everyone.

Micky you should go and speak at the UN yourself begorrah

Maybe you should venture outside Dublin to see what it’s like, it’s not as scary as you think, you’ll be fine.

C02 gasses from volcano’s are spewed up a lot higher and quicker into the upper atmosphere than car emissions do due to the high mountains and forces. Low lying c02 like from cars have a better chance of getting absorbed due to the sea, plants etc before they reach the upper atmosphere, whereas volcano c02 takes longer to fall back down to get absorbed so comparing ton for ton produced isn’t accurate overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

agree....plus

For example, in 1991, the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines spewed 20 million tons of sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere,

This caused global temperatures to drop by about 1 degree F (0.5 degrees C) from 1991 to 1993, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

agree....plus

For example, in 1991, the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in the Philippines spewed 20 million tons of sulfur dioxide into the stratosphere,

This caused global temperatures to drop by about 1 degree F (0.5 degrees C) from 1991 to 1993, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

You should research how the earth was freed from “snowball earth”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Of course it will improve it will only go so far until the relevent authorities step in for sure.

Not a chance.

Watch the programmes on primetime on illegal dumps and quarries recently.

The authorities are way behind, even buying their own material from them and using them to dump their waste.

And that's stuff that's above radar that councils are aware of.

I know of failed septic tanks where people just trenched straight into the nearest stream, or pump them over the wall into a field.

Its going on all over the place and the authorities will never catch up.

Then you have fuel laundering and illegal disposal of waste into watercourses and many other things which are below the radar so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm from the Midlands and some of the local rivers have been overfished , I won't point the blame at anyone.

Is there a translation required here ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

You should research how the earth was freed from “snowball earth”

You should research how co2 is needed for photosynthesis in plants and crops

Reduce it too much .....what happens?

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

You should research how co2 is needed for photosynthesis in plants and crops

Reduce it too much .....what happens?

Exactly, snowball earth was freed due to the c02 that came from erupting volcano’s.

Exactly, snowball earth was freed due to the c02 that came from erupting volcano’s.

Sulfur Dioxide is SO2

Sulfur Dioxide is SO2

I’m not talking about S02!. I guess you’re not capable of understanding how the 3 mile wall of ice melted milions of years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

biko wrote: »
    Greta Thunberg says school strikes have achieved nothing
    Activist says 4% greenhouse gas emissions rise since 2015 shows action is insufficient

https://amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/06/greta-thunberg-says-school-strikes-have-achieved-nothing

I wonder if we could organize a Greta vs Michael face-off.....

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/michael-o-leary-objects-to-f-king-dutch-people-telling-us-to-pay-more-taxes-1.4111084
    Leading the delegation from Airlines 4 Europe (A4E) to meet Romanian transport commissioner Adina-Ioana Valean was the group’s chairman, Michael O’Leary of Ryanair. On his way in he said “the last thing we need is a bunch of f**king Dutch people telling us to pay more taxes”.

Good Man yerself :D

He's almost alone in standing up for the position of those of us who live on a remote island outpost of Western Europe...
    Mr O’Leary deplored what he called discrimination against those for whom direct road and rail transport, or indeed cycling direct to Brussels, are not options.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I’m not talking about S02!. I guess you’re not capable of understanding how the 3 mile wall of ice melted milions of years ago..
    The glaciers over much of Europe only receded 10 - 100,000 years ago, not millions of years ago, though there's been several ice ages so i don't know which one you are specifically talking about

The glaciers over much of Europe only receded 10 - 100,000 years ago, not millions of years ago, though there's been several ice ages so i don't know which one you are specifically talking about

No , the event i’m talking about supposedly happened approx 700 million years ago. The earth was covered in approx 2/3 mile high ice. Plates started moving and volcanoes burst up through the ice sending out tons of C02 into the atmosphere that warmed the earth enough to melt the ice.

There’s a documentary on youtube called “ The story of earth”, quite interesting.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    Not a chance.

Watch the programmes on primetime on illegal dumps and quarries recently.

The authorities are way behind, even buying their own material from them and using them to dump their waste.

And that's stuff that's above radar that councils are aware of.

I know of failed septic tanks where people just trenched straight into the nearest stream, or pump them over the wall into a field.

Its going on all over the place and the authorities will never catch up.

Then you have fuel laundering and illegal disposal of waste into watercourses and many other things which are below the radar so to speak.

I went through one of those garda mandatory breath tests over the weekend. They hand you the plastic mouth piece afterwards. I can see the sides of the road and ditches being littered by them eventually with all the harrassing breath tests.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement