Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I personally feel no hate toward Greta at all to be honest.

A that's good. A lot of people got very personal :)
    It was gas.

They are all up in arms again on twitter about the TIME POTY now too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

lalababa wrote: »
    How many times do I have to post in this God awful thread.....

Climate change believers , don't waste your time here, it's pointless,
    go and do your own thing🌞
    The problem is most of them are more worried what others are doing than doing their own thing, especially if there’s a brand new car in someones driveaway or that nice extra holiday a year.

surely should have been Trump again so?

Yeah probably. He's taken up most of the news I read anyway! What a wally ha

Or HK protestors, in people's vote they got the most votes.

But greta is in or abouts, with the numbers she had marching and with climate change becoming such an issue for the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1204743717132914688?s=19
    No surprise really given impact she has had.
    Haters still gonna hate of course.

I just love the simplified thinking that anyone who may not agree is a 'hater' :pac:

As others have pointed out and truth be told Times magazine points out that the nomination is not an award rather but rather an occasion to feature and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object "for better or for worse...

So perhaps unsurprisingly greta now joins some other noteworthy and rather "controversial figures such as Adolf Hitler(1938), Joseph Stalin (1939 and 1942), Nikita Khrushchev (1957) and Ayatollah Khomeini(1979) oh and more recently Bono and the Gates's

Among other strange choices for the nomination were a selection of inanimate objects and events.

I think I'm going to nominate my pet rock next year for its ongoing contributions to the geological record ...

She's enjoying it anyway

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1204795860401434624

Others.. Not so much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    I just love the simplified thinking that anyone who may not agree is a 'hater' :pac:

Well, seeing as those defending Greta are presumed to be fanboi's, but moreso, given the hatred is obvious from many, it's fairly accurate I reckon.
    Truth be told Times magazine points out that the nomination is not an award rather but rather an occasion to feature and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object "for better or for worse...

So perhaps unsurprisingly greta now joins some other noteworthy and rather "controversial figures such as Adolf Hitler(1938), Joseph Stalin (1939 and 1942), Nikita Khrushchev (1957) and Ayatollah Khomeini(1979) oh and more recently Bono and the Gates's

Among other strange choices for the nomination were a selection of inanimate objects and events.

I think I'm going to nominate my pet rock next year for its ongoing contributions to the geological record ...

Well done on figuring out that it is not an award.
    It is an acknowledgement that the winner is, in the view of the magazine, the most significant person of the year. Nothing more, but also, nothing less.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    She's enjoying it anyway

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/120479586040143462
    Others.. Not so much

Ah no - I think its hilarious tbh

But she sure seems to like getting her photo plastered all over the place anyway :D

I hope those magazines are all going to be recycled... ;)

Well, seeing as those defending Greta are presumed to be fanboi's, but moreso, given the hatred is obvious from many, it's fairly accurate I reckon.

You reckon wrong my friend ... but yeah in general the fanboi moniker does certainly seem to be a thing for sure.
    Well done on figuring out that it is not an award.
    It is an acknowledgement that the winner is, in the view of the magazine, the most significant person of the year. Nothing more, but also, nothing less.

Yup as detailed "an occasion to feature and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object "for better or for worse"

So like some of the other recipitents of the title - time should tell ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    When you have people congratulating her for it, it’s good to remind them of the company that she’s keeping.

All that’s going to happen here is an increased Carbon Tax.

My bet is that Greta will assume the mantle of our own Coleen bán,Mary Robinson when Mrs R decides to call it a millenium.

It's all about the necklace :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Ah no - I think its hilarious tbh

Yep sure is, the reaction on twitter is funny. All the digs are coming out haha.

They are furious :)

• Advertisement

Well, seeing as those defending Greta are presumed to be fanboi's, but moreso, given the hatred is obvious from many, it's fairly accurate .

I think there’s more hate towards the unbrainwashed non believers. I just looked at the tweet posted and anyone who disagrees or of a different opinion they are like “ block them, they are trolls bla blah blah)

It’s basically a cult lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Better that than the conspiracy theorists, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think there’s more hate towards the unbrainwashed non believers. I just looked at the tweet posted and anyone who disagrees or of a different opinion they are like “ block them, they are trolls bla blah blah)

Funny you should say that...

I was in London on Sunday,and just happened to wander past 146 Queen Victoria Street EC4V 4BY when that "cult" connection suddenly crossed my mind.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It really epitomises for me the amount of genuine neglect the environment has been placed in , when the globe has focused its' attentions and ramblings ,via media or otherwise, on a 16 year old girl.

Time person of the year my hole.

Talk about a misfiring or back firing gun. The entire world sits back on their laurels and goes " awe , isn't that so sweet, the liddle girl giving all the bad guys in business and government a bollicking , awe , isn't she so adorable ? "

In the meantime shoulders are shrugged and the ice belt melts.... there is nothing to see here.

I had to laugh at the media chasing her around the train in Madrid last week, talk about a welcome distraction for the bad guys.

The sooner she is ignored and action is taken, the better, I have never witnessed a more false dawn in climate change action in my life. Fawning over a teenager and her ( admirable ) exploits will not save the environment this time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

A that's good. A lot of people got very personal :)
    It was gas.

They are all up in arms again on twitter about the TIME POTY now too :)
    Well there was a lot of people up in arms when Trump got it,, guess that kind of negates your point.

I don't believe in blocking people. For the most part, but one side (if you are to try to put everyone in to one of two teams) on this, has the vast majority of scientists supporting their argument that action is needed.

The other has a variety of people saying one or more of the following.

We don't have enough data.
    The climate always changed.
    It's all a sham in order to introduce more taxes.

And so on.

Pretty sure it's easy to see where the cultish behaviour is.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It really epitomises for me the amount of genuine neglect the environment has been placed in , when the globe has focused its' attentions and ramblings ,via media or otherwise, on a 16 year old girl.

Time person of the year my hole.

Talk about a misfiring or back firing gun. The entire world sits back on their laurels and goes " awe , isn't that so sweet, the liddle girl giving all the bad guys in business and government a bollicking , awe , isn't she so adorable ? "

In the meantime shoulders are shrugged and the ice belt melts.... there is nothing to see here.

I had to laugh at the media chasing her around the train in Madrid last week, talk about a welcome distraction for the bad guys.

The sooner she is ignored and action is taken, the better, I have never witnessed a more false dawn in climate change action in my life. Fawning over a teenager and her ( admirable ) exploits will not save the environment this time either.

Like the action taking over the last couple of decades when it was already known there was a problem?

She's not going to save the planet. But she is trying to encourage the people on the planet to do so. At least so it doesn't fail prematurely because of human use.

Well there was a lot of people up in arms when Trump got it,, guess that kind of negates your point.

I don't get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Lotta haters, not so many suggestions on who else should have gotten it. Climate change is the issue and she is the face of it. Simple as that really.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

The sooner... action is taken, the better.

You sound like Greta, I'd be careful with those views around here :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

just looking up past winners,

in 1998 Bill Clinton and Ken Starr (the lawyer whose investigation led to Clinton's impeachment) were joint winners

2001 'person of the year' should have gone to Osama bin Laden, but as they felt it wouldn't be right, they gave it to the Mayor of New York at the time, Rudy Giuliani...

edit
    1973 was John Sirica, "as Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Sirica ordered President Nixon to turn over Watergate-related recordings of White House conversations."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Like the action taking over the last couple of decades when it was already known there was a problem?

She's not going to save the planet. But she is trying to encourage the people on the planet to do so. At least so it doesn't fail prematurely because of human use.

She is just a distraction. As long as she is grabbing the headlines the less anything will get done.

The tasks get rearranged. All the PR teams now combat the Greta girl as opposed to combatting climate change.

She is a waste of time.

As I said, as long as she grabs the headlines their is less time to expose climate change …. easy game for the bad guys.

howye folks had a busy day

did i miss anything

Pretty sure it's easy to see where the cultish behaviour is.

No it’s not . It’s called a difference of opinion and you Just labeled it a cult for your own agenda.

I can understand the doubters though. Climate change has happened since the dawn of time. The sun has gotten hotter in the last 100 years. Not to mention all the predictions the scientists made 30/40 years ago that never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

No it’s not . It’s called a difference of opinion and you Just labeled it a cult for your own agenda.

I can understand the doubters though. Climate change has happened since the dawn of time. The sun has gotten hotter in the last 100 years. Not to mention all the predictions the scientists made 30/40 years ago that never happened.

Which predictions are you referring to?

you Just labeled it a cult for your own agenda.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but didn't you just do that too?

Which predictions are you referring to?

Internet is your friend, search for it. I believe there was a few places mentioned that were supposed to be under water by now. Never happened.

Maybe I'm reading wrong, but didn't you just do that too?

Yes i did, for good reason.

Yes i did, for good reason.

Haha brilliant

• Advertisement

Yep sure is, the reaction on twitter is funny. All the digs are coming out haha. They are furious :)

Furious smiley faces? Hows that work? Like are they happy and furious at the same time? But yeah Time POTY - either way certainly hilarious considering
    :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement