Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

gozunda wrote: »
    Furious smiley faces? Hows that work? Like are they happy and furious at the same time? :

Apologies.. the smiley face was me finding the furious tweets funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    She is just a distraction. As long as she is grabbing the headlines the less anything will get done.

The tasks get rearranged. All the PR teams now combat the Greta girl as opposed to combatting climate change.

She is a waste of time.

As I said, as long as she grabs the headlines their is less time to expose climate change …. easy game for the bad guys.

Well, since she started her protest, the EU has declared a Climate Emergency and NZ has also done similar.

I'm not saying that that's it the hard work is done, but I think it is entirely plausible that they have been supported by if not outright swayed by the attention which Greta and the global marches have done to show where public sentiment is on the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Furious smiley faces? Hows that work? Like are they happy and furious at the same time?

Mood swings?

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yes i did, for good reason.

Have you 11,000 scientists signing a letter supporting your argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Well, since she started her protest, the EU has declared a Climate Emergency and NZ has also done similar...

There was also earthquake in the Mediterranean and a volcanic eruption in New Zealand - should we attribute those to St Greta as well? Wow she really is amazing eh!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Well, since she started her protest, the EU has declared a Climate Emergency and NZ has also done similar.

I'm not saying that that's it the hard work is done, but I think it is entirely plausible that they have been supported by if not outright swayed by the attention which Greta and the global marches have done to show where public sentiment is on the topic.

As I said. The climate has now been saved because the 16 year old girl is in the news.

Yippidy do dah.

Ding dong the wicket witch is dead. Happy ever after everybody. The EU and New phucking Zealand are going to sort it all out , guess why ? Cause Greta the great got a few photos taken at a global " think tank " last week.

Phew , I taught for a second that nothing is being done, at all.

"Oh look there's another picture of that girl with the weird accent again, whats this her name is?"

Anyone else for a vacuum packed espresso served in a disk of plastic? On me this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Why didn’t Greta go to China and put in a few days lecturing the government there on pollution.
    They love their coal burning power plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Why didn’t Greta go to China and put in a few days lecturing the government there on pollution.
    They love their coal burning power plants.

It’s probably because they’re a great bunch of lads and Greta didn’t want to upset them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s probably because they’re a great bunch of lads and Greta didn’t want to upset them.

Because she’d be told where to go, or put to work in a mine.

Better go to the soft touch countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Because she’d be told where to go, or put to work in a mine.

Better go to the soft touch countries.

Pretty much. Shes doing what she can in the more civilised countries, so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Pretty much. Shes doing what she can in the more civilised countries, so far.

What,I wonder,will happen as Greta gets older,and hopefully matures ?

Will the World's Media remain true to her ethos,and continue to give her unrestricted coverage ?

Will the U.N. and other agencies be as quick to receive lectures from the 26/36/46 year old Woman as it has been to listen to the young girl ?

Climate is not the only thing capable of negatively changing.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,591 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So making faces at Trump and having temper tantrums about ruined dreams are the criteria for becoming Time magazines person of the year it seems.

There was also earthquake in the Mediterranean and a volcanic eruption in New Zealand - should we attribute those to St Greta as well? Wow she really is amazing eh!

I posted this yesterday as I thought it would be useful to some to help understand what can and cannot be done.
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Although, maybe, simply, the wisdom to differentiate is lacking. I mean, that's the only thing that makes sense reading your post.

Or maybe you discount all things religious in a similar manner to all things scientific.

I posted this yesterday as I thought it would be useful to some to help understand what can and cannot be done.Although, maybe, simply, the wisdom to differentiate is lacking. I mean, that's the only thing that makes sense reading your post.
    Or maybe you discount all things religious in a similar manner to all things scientific.

Prayers? :pac:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serenity_Prayer

Nah not into religous mumbo jumbo tbh. Most scientists aren't either funnily enough ...

I note a bit of the old ad hominem again there. But no worries - but if you would like to reflect on the question asked that would be great ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So making faces at Trump and having temper tantrums about ruined dreams are the criteria for becoming Time magazines person of the year it seems.
    Hey, if Hitler can get this accolade so can Greta.

Have you 11,000 scientists signing a letter supporting your argument?

What are you on about? Greta’s cult followers didn’t sign anything. Regardless of who is right or wrong people are entitled to have an opinion without being blocked or accused of being a troll. It’s a cult period.

I’m actually quite surprised it wasn’t blamed on climate change.

Nah not into religous mumbo jumbo tbh. Most scientists aren't either funnily enough ...

I note a bit of the old ad hominem again there. But no worries - but if you would like to reflect on the question asked that would be great ;)

If you think asking is Greta responsible for natural events, I'm going to disappoint you by giving it the non-answer it deserves.

No ad hominem by the way, just reacting to your specific comments and contribution accordingly. Ignoring that the publication of the quote was in a religious context, the content can still be considered in terms if analysis of how people view things. As was done here.

When i saw that post yesterday with that prayer crap i always think of the farting preacher on youtube for some reason.

If you think asking is Greta responsible for natural events, I'm going to disappoint you by giving it the non-answer it deserves.No ad hominem by the way, just reacting to your specific comments and contribution accordingly. Ignoring that the publication of the quote was in a religious context, the content can still be considered in terms if analysis of how people view things. As was done here.

It's called humour btw - as attributing any event in the EU or NZ to gretas influence is clearly hilarious . :D

As for this - "Or maybe you discount all things religious in a similar manner to all things scientific" . :pac: :pac: :pac:

Do tell exactly where any science is 'discounted'

But yeah in context of actual science - the prayer amounts to religious mumbo jumbo - but hey there we are

Again if you would like to reflect on the question asked that would be great ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Congratulations Greta! Well deserved.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Greta’s cult followers didn’t sign anything. Regardless of who is right or wrong people are entitled to have an opinion without being blocked or accused of being a troll. It’s a cult period.

Nobody suggested you are a troll. Well, I certainly didn't anyway.

I said that you are misinformed on the climate issue if you don't think there is a problem or that the effort Greta is doing is not to be applauded.

Also, do you see any hypocrisy in getting bothered about being called a troll (which, again, I didn't do) and repeatedly calling people who support Greta as being cultists.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The one trillion euro climate debt generated today will filter down to the poorest in society and make them even poorer

Wake up working class you are getting fcuked

Nobody suggested you are a troll. Well, I certainly didn't anyway.

I said that you are misinformed on the climate issue if you don't think there is a problem or that the effort Greta is doing is not to be applauded.

Also, do you see any hypocrisy in getting bothered about being called a troll (which, again, I didn't do) and repeatedly calling people who support Greta as being cultists.

Eh? I never said i was being called a troll lol. What made you think that?. Are you paying attention at all to the posts on here, or maybe you are trying to wind me up? Lol

I said i visited Twitter to see Greta’s tweet about her new found fame on Time. I was looking through the posts on twitter and it seems that anyone that posts an opinion other than agreeing with Greta the cult on there it’s like “ block them they are trolls”. It’s a total cult on there. I’ll clarify, i didn’t post anything therefore i wasn’t called a troll.

I’m not misinformed about climate change, even though i know we contribute to it i’m sceptical on how much we do. Furthermore it’s quite far down on my worry list to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Furious smiley faces?
    :pac:
    Have you not met Greta ?

The one trillion euro climate debt generated today will filter down to the poorest in society and make them even poorer

Wake up working class you are getting fcuked

How would you propose dealing with the debt?

Do you think Greta is advocating for making the poor even poorer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How would you propose dealing with the debt?

Do you think Greta is advocating for making the poor even poorer?

It’s a new Green Debt, it didn’t exist before.

This is the point, Greta hasn’t a clue what she’s doing. A wealthy family of 4 will end up paying as much in increased carbon tax as a poor family of 4, for the most part.

Won’t effect her because she isn’t weaned yet, but it will effect adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

This is almost as bad as Obama getting a Nobel peace prize when he first became president...for no reason at all except because he is Black, it is all politics and proping up your own political beliefs over any sense of integrity, the TIMES should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

That €100 billion over 10 years is less than 0.6% percent of GDP per year - that's fuck all, people don't seem to realize how big the EU-wide economy is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

This is almost as bad as Obama getting a Nobel peace prize when he first became president...for no reason at all except because he is Black, it is all politics and proping up your own political beliefs over any sense of integrity, the TIMES should be ashamed.

Did The Times also make Greta and Obama their person of the year? What a happy coincidence!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement