Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s a new Green Debt, it didn’t exist before.

This is the point, Greta hasn’t a clue what she’s doing. A wealthy family of 4 will end up paying as much in increased carbon tax as a poor family of 4, for the most part.

Won’t effect her because she isn’t weaned yet, but it will effect adults.

You didn't answer the question.

How do you propose dealing with whatever debt may come from tackling current climate damaging practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Did The Times also make Greta and Obama their person of the year? What a happy coincidence!

Adolf Hitler and Ayatollah Khomeini as well! As you say happy coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You didn't answer the question.

How do you propose dealing with whatever debt may come from tackling current climate damaging practices.

Don’t take on the debt in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

So making faces at Trump and having temper tantrums about ruined dreams are the criteria for becoming Time magazines person of the year it seems.

You'll have to do more than that I'd imagine Galwayguy.

"influencer" is such a nebulous concept isnt it.

greta responsible for everything good that ever happened since she first decided, or had it suggested to her, that she should sit outside and see if any documentarians passed her.

mad stuff.

mad.

seriously. i think that if you believe any of it, you're bloody mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,711 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

"influencer" is such a nebulous concept isnt it.

greta responsible for everything good that ever happened since she first decided, or had it suggested to her, that she should sit outside and see if any documentarians passed her.

mad stuff.

mad.

seriously. i think that if you believe any of it, you're bloody mad.

Well, if you believe she's responsible for everything good that has happened, you're definitely mad.

But, if you think she has had no impact or value then, you're something else. Maybe madder, or most probably just ignorant, or bitter. Not sure which. Definitely one I'd say, maybe a bit of all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Is this kid still getting under the skin of "grown adults"?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,578 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tony EH wrote:
    Is this kid still getting under the skin of "grown adults"?

Tis weird out, isn't it! A lot of sensitive adults around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

You wouldn't even put out a pittiful 0.6% GDP of government bonds a year - presently around ~0% interest EU wide - to work on resolving climate change? Seriously?

Fr_Dougal wrote:

Tis funny, we seem to have no problems accumulating private and corporate debts largely to fund rising asset prices, but taking on debt to tackle environmental issues is bad! The world is a weird place!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Why didn’t Greta go to China and put in a few days lecturing the government there on pollution.
    They love their coal burning power plants.

Speaking of Chine, I’ve seen a good argument that Person of the Year should go to the Hong Kong democracy protestors. That said, I understand the PotY goes to “influential”, not “great or brave”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think I'll ever understanding why an autistic teenage girl triggers so many people here.

I'm glad she got some recognition for her efforts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I don't think I'll ever understanding why an autistic teenage girl triggers so many people here.

does it show the fragility of humanity?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think its more adults using a kid to push a cause.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

KyussB wrote: »
    You wouldn't even put out a pittiful 0.6% GDP of government bonds a year - presently around ~0% interest EU wide - to work on resolving climate change? Seriously?

No, not without having all the facts first.
    The challenge, the commission said, was the need to find €260 billion in additional annual investment from the state and private sectors, the equivalent of 1.2 per cent of EU GDP in 2018.

Where is this additional annual €260 billion going to come from?
    How will the private sector be involved? What will they get in return for their investment? How will the state raise this money?

Ultimately it will be the citizens of the EU who fund that €230 billion annually, what will that look like?

If you can answer all of those questions satisfactorily I’m all in, if you can’t then no thanks.

From what I can see it’s all carbon taxes, or carbon border taxes.

The deciding factor on whether or not we have all the facts, is determined by climate scientists, not by politicians or people who keep on nudging the goalposts to infinity as more and more evidence/facts come out.

There is ready access to ~0% interest money - the EU can easily afford 10x that per year, more even.

No, not without having all the facts first.

Where is this additional annual €260 billion going to come from?
    How will the private sector be involved? What will they get in return for their investment? How will the state raise this money?

Ultimately it will be the citizens of the EU who fund that €230 billion annually, what will that look like?

If you can answer all of those questions satisfactorily I’m all in, if you can’t then no thanks.

From what I can see it’s all carbon taxes, or carbon border taxes.

theres nothing stopping eu institutions such as the eib in creating the funds needed to start such initiatives

KyussB wrote: »
    The deciding factor on whether or not we have all the facts, is determined by climate scientists, not by politicians or people who keep on nudging the goalposts to infinity as more and more evidence/facts come out.

There is ready access to ~0% interest money - the EU can easily afford 10x that per year, more even.
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    theres nothing stopping eu institutions such as the eib in creating the funds needed to start such initiatives

You haven’t answered my questions regarding the private sector. It’s rare that we see the private sector carry out acts of altruism.

As a taster, let’s bring back water charges; that would be a move in the right direction. But see how that goes down with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What's being autistic got to do with it? Oh right - that's what absolutely everyone is commenting about!

I suppose like any public figure - theres going to be some commentary. Some seem not to like that. Odd no?

Though I'd say anyone having a temper tantrum in public whilst blaming everyone else for a crappy childhood etc is going to get the odd comment for sure. As for the rubbish about civilisation ending and other frankly odd utterences - well absolutely that needs some recognition! I'm not sure what award that would be though?

You haven’t answered my questions regarding the private sector. It’s rare that we see the private sector carry out acts of altruism.

As a taster, let’s bring back water charges; that would be a move in the right direction. But see how that goes down with the public.
    I don't agree with the structure of the European Green Deal - it's nothing like the GND, it's pitiful - my question was a general one, about allocating money to work on resolving climate change.

It doesn't seem to matter what framework would be used to resolve climate change - you seem to oppose any level of government spending on it.

• Advertisement

i personally cant see much coming from the private sector regarding this problem, even though investment will be required from private investors, lowering interest rates hasnt really energised the private sector, i truly believe, we have no choice but to mobilize public institutions such as the eib etc

i do actually believe in things such as metering of water etc, but as you said, that aint gonna happen here anytime soon, water protesters were also correct at the time

gozunda wrote: »
    What's being autistic got to do with it? Oh right - that's what absolutely everyone is commenting about!

Though I'd say anyone having a temper tantrum in public whilst blaming everyone else for a crappy childhood etc is going to get the odd comment for sure. As for the rubbish about civilisation ending and other frankly odd utterences - well absolutely that needs some recognition! I'm not sure what award that would be though?

autism, meltdowns and catastrophisation, yea i cant see the link either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

does it show the fragility of humanity?
    Ah that pathetic childish argument because an adult won’t share Greta’s views and opinions or don’t want to join her cult.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ah that pathetic childish argument because an adult won’t share Greta’s views and opinions or don’t want to join her cult.

only that they are not just gretas views and opinions

only that they are not just gretas views and opinions

Yes everyone has different views and opinions and i respect that but using her age and autism against a person because they disagree with her is pathetic.

Yes everyone has different views and opinions and i respect that but using her age and autism against a person because they disagree with her is pathetic.

come again?

This childish argument i’m talking about when it’s absolutely got nothing to do with her age and autism.

This childish argument i’m talking about.

id have to agree with it, im finding it somewhat disturbing that this girl is upsetting so many adults, im wondering, whats really wrong with all these adults?

id have to agree with it, im finding it somewhat disturbing that this girl is upsetting so many adults, im wondering, whats really wrong with all these adults?

I find it more disturbing adults using the above nonsense against other adults who won’t join her cult. Stop talking bo****x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,975 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

gozunda wrote: »

I suppose like any public figure - theres going to be some commentary. Some seem not to like that. Odd no?

Nah. There's a weird, bordering on perverse obsession with this girl that I've been seeing here for ages. It's just a bit sad that so many people have so little to do with their time.

I gave pretty much all the info I have on her in my previous post. I know nothing else about her but if she elicits so much hatred from the libertarians here then she must be ok.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement