Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,708 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ok, if you had the power right this minute what would you do right now

We don’t have the technology currently to facilitate the quality of life that hard working people have come to expect.
    We don’t have the technology currently to facilitate the quality of life that hard working people have come to expect.

It boils down with Greta and Co by grounding flights, taking cars away from people isolating them from the outside world including from family abroad. Yeah sure get an electric car but most people in Ireland can’t afford a new car let alone an electric car at rip off prices.

This is why i have absolutely no interest in climate change. I’d rather take on climate change and adapt until better alternative technology takes it’s place rather than being trapped in my own home. i’ll fight it to the end. I won’t be isolated from my family in the USA.

Ok firstly, again, Greta and others are aware that people have to travel. No one is saying kiss goodbye to friends and loved ones as you'll never see them again. Many very strong advocates of climate action still travel by plane. But, if you must do so, you can offset the carbon cost through donations to worthwhile causes. Once again, it's not all or nothing.

If I had the power? Say, if I was writing a manifesto for the next Government and was guaranteed it would be attempted? I would consider some of the following.
    • I would take some of the 13B which is in escrow for Apple's Tax Bill.
    • I would create a subdivision of the NRA with a responsibility for cycle lanes with a goal to get to a point where 50% of all single person journeys under 5km are by bike. I would provide funding or incentives to companies to encourage cycle to work initiatives and would build public bike parking facilities a la Holland.
    • I would further subsidise public transport to make it more attractive for people to use.
    • I would fund an education scheme specifically targeted at those in the farming and energy industries to consider alternative careers in renewable energies and sustainable food sources (Bill Burr (red blooded male, was talking on his podcast this week how good the no meat burger tasted).
    • I would lobby at EU level that all CE certified components and products be designed for minimum life spans, ability to be repaired/updated with new features and for ease of disassembly and reuse of materials.
    • I would hire the media team behind the Wild Atlantic Way to create an information and awareness campaign to consistently provide metrics of what has been done.
    • I would direct local authorities that one off housing be aimed to be located in clusters of at least 2 house sharing ESB, water, broadband supply lines.
    • I would provide funding to encourage collaboration between major universities to develop IP for sustainability solutions.
    • I would add a €1 tax to all plastic disposable bottles to promote alternative options and to provide funding for some of the above.
    • How much of the 13B is left?

Now, how many of them could be done tomorrow without uproar? None. Probably. The government would even be concerned about the impact on fuel revenues to the exchequer for example.

That is what Greta is saying about needing to develop the solutions and the economies to support sustainable use of the environment.
    It's very difficult. But what's the alternative?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Is veruca salt still knocking about? Ffs

Give it a few years she be taking selfies for instagram at cosmopolitan pool in vegas telling us how her life is great and her new job as a blogger on fashion is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Ok, if you had the power right this minute what would you do right now

There is no end of solutions for workng towards this goal (the Green New Deal is the most prominent) - it's just receiving only a pitiful amount of effort - it's not being prioritized.

The very people who want to maintain our current quality of life, are usually the ones most strongly against supporting the scale of action necessary for sustainably achieving that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is why i have absolutely no interest in climate change. I’d rather take on climate change and adapt until better alternative technology takes it’s place rather than being trapped in my own home. i’ll fight it to the end. I won’t be isolated from my family in the USA.

Burying your head in the sand I rather than facing a known crisis is a notoriously bad strategy

On an individual level you can wish to go about the life to which you have become accustomed but governments have a responsibility and a duty to plan for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

KyussB wrote: »
    There is no end of solutions for workng towards this goal (the Green New Deal is the most prominent) - it's just receiving only a pitiful amount of effort - it's not being prioritized.

The very people who want to maintain our current quality of life, are usually the ones most strongly against supporting the scale of action necessary for sustainably achieving that.

Largely because its primarlily political posturing and a big pile of pooh. But there we go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

People should really put some effort in to listening to what Greta has said on some of these topics.

She commented on a recent award that the environment doesn't need awards, it needs action. She has donated prize money to environmental causes. She clearly doesn't care about them.
    She commented that she doesn't expect everyone to travel by boat across the Atlantic but the purpose of her trips were to show that each individual should consider what they can do and source alternative options if they are available to them.
    She said that effort needs to go to finding alternative solutions to current damaging scenarios which will still facilitate the quality of life which people have cone to expect.

There are statements here like as if the only way she has any validity is if she lives in a cave in Sweden and never uses any processed or synthetic material.

Do people see any room for a position between that scenario and the blatant disregard for the environment practised today? Does it have to from one extreme to the other?

Some of the posts are closer to Danny Healy Rae outbursts than being remotely related to fact based commentary.
    She is not an expert, (by her own admission) she's being made look like one by the words of some of her detractors.

Have you any link on what she said? Funny How she has trouble answering a simple question about the main reason of her protest when she doesn’t have a script to read from. The fact of the matter is that without a script she’s speechless and I doubt she writes her scripts.

KyussB wrote: »

We have the technology to live well in a sustainable world we just need to spend a lot of money on transitioning to a non carbon based energy system. A lot of money, but still much less than it will cost in damages if we fail to invest now. The stern report said all of this 14 years ago but denialists and lobbiests forced it off the agenda

gozunda wrote: »
    Largely because its primarlily political posturing and a big pile of pooh. But there we go.

Do you have a scientific study to back up your claim that the need to tackle climate change is ‘a pile of pooh’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Akrasia wrote: »
    Do you have a scientific study to back up your claim that the need to tackle climate change is ‘a pile of pooh’

I think you may be expecting too much from this thread. Its a more of a "it's easy to criticise.. And fun too!" mixed with some name calling ha

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Have you any link on what she said? Funny How she has trouble answering a simple question about the main reason of her protest when she doesn’t have a script to read from. The fact of the matter is that without a script she’s speechless and I doubt she writes her scripts.

She doesn’t have to answer the scientific questions or provide the answers herself. Her message is to listen to the science and dedicate the resources needed to tackle the problem.

Greta is not the contrarian, you are. She does not have to back up her opinion with evidence that the scientific consensus is wrong, you do.

• Advertisement

Akrasia wrote: »
    She doesn’t have to answer the scientific questions or provide the answers herself. Her message is to listen to the science and dedicate the resources needed to tackle the problem.

Greta is not the contrarian, you are. She does not have to back up her opinion with evidence that the scientific consensus is wrong, you do.

There’s no such thing as scientific consensus. There are plenty scientists that don’t agree with man made climate change.

There’s no such thing as scientific consensus. There are plenty scientists that don’t agree with man made climate change.

As a percentage though they are very small, no?
    What are the figures exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

Can you provide a link to one whose arguments you have found particularly impressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    As a percentage though they are very small, no?
    What are the figures exactly?

Small yes but many dont agree with the apologetic visions of Greta. Even PrimeTime recently interviewed a Irish climate academic who attacked the climate rebellion for misrepresenting them.

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    Can you provide a link to one whose arguments you have found particularly impressive?

There are plenty and would have more credibility than Mickie Mouse or dumbeldore who’s names appeared on the list of 11k scientists that face the latest dire warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

There are plenty and would have more credibility than Mickie Mouse or dumbeldore who’s names appeared on the list of 11k scientists that face the latest dire warning.

Well I've listened and read about many of the well known sceptics such as Richard Lindzen etc so I'm just interested to find out who you would recommend. I'm only asking out of interest as I'd like to know as much about this subject as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Ok firstly, again, Greta and others are aware that people have to travel. No one is saying kiss goodbye to friends and loved ones as you'll never see them again. Many very strong advocates of climate action still travel by plane. But, if you must do so, you can offset the carbon cost through donations to worthwhile causes. Once again, it's not all or nothing.

If I had the power? Say, if I was writing a manifesto for the next Government and was guaranteed it would be attempted? I would consider some of the following.
    • I would create a subdivision of the NRA with a responsibility for cycle lanes with a goal to get to a point where 50% of all single person journeys under 5km are by bike. I would provide funding or incentives to companies to encourage cycle to work initiatives and would build public bike parking facilities a la Holland.
    • I would further subsidise public transport to make it more attractive for people to use.
    • I would fund an education scheme specifically targeted at those in the farming and energy industries to consider alternative careers in renewable energies and sustainable food sources (Bill Burr (red blooded male, was talking on his podcast this week how good the no meat burger tasted).
    • I would lobby at EU level that all CE certified components and products be designed for minimum life spans, ability to be repaired/updated with new features and for ease of disassembly and reuse of materials.
    • I would hire the media team behind the Wild Atlantic Way to create an information and awareness campaign to consistently provide metrics of what has been done.
    • I would direct local authorities that one off housing be aimed to be located in clusters of at least 2 house sharing ESB, water, broadband supply lines.
    • I would provide funding to encourage collaboration between major universities to develop IP for sustainability solutions.
    • I would add a €1 tax to all plastic disposable bottles to promote alternative options and to provide funding for some of the above.

Now, how many of them could be done tomorrow without uproar? None. Probably. The government would even be concerned about the impact on fuel revenues to the exchequer for example.

That is what Greta is saying about needing to develop the solutions and the economies to support sustainable use of the environment.

Decent effort, you’ve come up with more/better ideas than Greta so far.

Your idea for the €1 tax on disposable bottles is a good one, I’d probably limit it to any bottles less than 5litres.

Definitely agree on better public transport, but at present we actually have a supply issue with the likes of new trains etc.

The €13bn is in escrow, as you pointed out, that can’t be touched yet. If Apple lose, the €13bn will be divided between EU member states, it won’t go directly to our own coffers.

Disagree with you regarding the likes of the no meat burger, it’s super processed food and I’d imagine the health implications won’t be great long term.

Minimum lifespans, great idea. If the EU made it mandatory to offer a 5 year warranty on certain goods I think that would be a start.
    The downside now is with the change over to electric cars etc., you’ll see a lot of roadworthy cars being dumped in favour of this new technology. That will have a short/medium term negative environmental impact.

I’d tackle producers and their packaging, far too much waste. A few months ago consumers staged a mini-protest where they dumped the excess packaging in supermarkets. I’d make it mandatory for all retail outlets to offer this facility. A few months of that and they won’t be long putting pressure on their supplies to reduce waste/improve packaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    It’s a loner and an EV, so ticks all the sustainable boxes for touring the US and Canada.

She’s in Madrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Interesting point.

For a 16 year old who,as far as we know,is not claiming genius status,Ms Thunberg appears to have a full & complete grasp of every aspect of the Sciences,and even life itself.

Whether she herself claims this,or it is being claimed on her behalf,her wide ranging knowledge and understanding of Life is indeed to be marvelled at.

I note the arrival of another young genuis on the scene,although this young man does indeed appear to be a Thinker of some note....

https://www.thejournal.ie/laurent-simmons-child-prodigy-drops-out-4926806-Dec2019/
    A NINE-YEAR-OLD Belgian boy who was due to graduate in electrical engineering has dropped out of his Dutch university due to a dispute over the end date of his degree, his father said today.

Interesting how this young lad (or his Parents) does'nt seem to have grasped the Greta thing yet...he wants to design and manufacture Artifical Organs to prolong life.

If I were a promoter,in the old "Barney Eastwood" style,I'd be lining up the bookings asap ! ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

She’s in Madrid.

She's in Italy.

• Advertisement

You do know that the €13bn in escrow isn’t Ireland’s to take, it’s owed to other EU countries?? That renders the rest of your nonsense obsolete.

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Decent effort, you’ve come up with more/better ideas than Greta so far.

Your idea for the €1 tax on disposable bottles is a good one, I’d probably limit it to any bottles less than 5litres.

Definitely agree on better public transport, but at present we actually have a supply issue with the likes of new trains etc.

The €13bn is in escrow, as you pointed out, that can’t be touched yet. If Apple lose, the €13bn will be divided between EU member states, it won’t go directly to our own coffers.

Disagree with you regarding the likes of the no meat burger, it’s super processed food and I’d imagine the health implications won’t be great long term.

Minimum lifespans, great idea. If the EU made it mandatory to offer a 5 year warranty on certain goods I think that would be a start.
    The downside now is with the change over to electric cars etc., you’ll see a lot of roadworthy cars being dumped in favour of this new technology. That will have a short/medium term negative environmental impact.

I’d tackle producers and their packaging, far too much waste. A few months ago consumers staged a mini-protest where they dumped the excess packaging in supermarkets. I’d make it mandatory for all retail outlets to offer this facility. A few months of that and they won’t be long putting pressure on their supplies to reduce waste/improve packaging.

Greta is an uneducated 16 year old. I would not fault her for not having answers. As she has said, 'How could she'.

Agree most definitely on packaging.

On cars being dumped, for new technology. Hopefully we'll get to a point where items are retrofitted/upgraded rather than dumped. As a preferred option.

She's in Italy.

Same difference, she isn’t using the Tesla to tour US and Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You do know that the €13bn in escrow isn’t Ireland’s to take, it’s owed to other EU countries?? That renders the rest of your nonsense obsolete.

What EU countries?

Boggles wrote: »
    What EU countries?

The ones they never paid sales tax in. I believe they have already come to a deal with Italy over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The ones they never paid sales tax in. I believe they have already come to a deal with Italy over it.

So other EU countries have stuck a claim on the 13 billion including Italy.

First I heard of it.

Have you a link for it?

Wrong.
    Apple appeals record €13 billion tax payment demanded by European Commission. Tech giant Apple is appealing a 2016 EU ruling requiring that it pays a record €13 billion in back taxes in Ireland. Apple says the ruling "defies common sense." Unusually, Ireland doesn't want the extra tax revenues. Sep 17, 2019

You're doing well this morning. Aren't you.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Interesting point.

For a 16 year old who,as far as we know,is not claiming genius status,Ms Thunberg appears to have a full & complete grasp of every aspect of the Sciences,and even life itself.

Whether she herself claims this,or it is being claimed on her behalf,her wide ranging knowledge and understanding of Life is indeed to be marvelled at.

The only ones saying this, are greta detractors.
    She has literally said she has not got the answers.

Also, on the other guy. Well done to him, but again, its Greta detractors/climate issue deniers, who are suggesting doing something to not have as many people around.

If you want to argue Greta, why not argue what she says, not what you think she's saying.

Small yes but many dont agree with the apologetic visions of Greta. Even PrimeTime recently interviewed a Irish climate academic who attacked the climate rebellion for misrepresenting them.

Cool how small is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

She’s in Madrid.

Yes she is, but that car wasn’t. It was in Alberta.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement