Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Is it that you think the UN climate change summit is stupid? Raising awareness about climate change is stupid?

Not at all, I think this particular campaign and the way the adults have gone about it is stupid though. I’ve already made it clear I don’t hold the child in any way responsible for their actions. I hold the adults around her responsible for their actions. Her parents could have gone to the UN when Greta refuses to travel by air, rather than the sheer stupidity of putting a child on a yacht and sailing across the Atlantic. It’s unnecessary to put a child at risk like that. There are a million other ways the adults involved could have made their points. They probably wouldn’t have been entertained, but at least they wouldn’t be putting a child at risk either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Not at all, I think this particular campaign and the way the adults have gone about it is stupid though. I’ve already made it clear I don’t hold the child in any way responsible for their actions. I hold the adults around her responsible for their actions. Her parents could have gone to the UN when Greta refuses to travel by air, rather than the sheer stupidity of putting a child on a yacht and sailing across the Atlantic. It’s unnecessary to put a child at risk like that. There are a million other ways the adults involved could have made their points. They probably wouldn’t have been entertained, but at least they wouldn’t be putting a child at risk either.

You said if she wasn't a child you would still find what she is doing stupid.

You said if she wasn't a child you would still find what she is doing stupid.

Yes, and I stand by that. What she’s doing is stupid.

Raising awareness of climate change is not stupid. How one goes about raising awareness of climate change can be though, and in the case of using a child to promote their beliefs, I don’t think much of the adults who are promoting Greta as though she is the Messiah either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Russia today. Quality stuff. Also considering you are a conspiracy theorist. Wouldn't that make you a useful idiot for climate change denial and other propaganda?.

Other propaganda? This stunt is part of a propaganda campaign itself.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Yes, and I stand by that. What she’s doing is stupid.

Raising awareness of climate change is not stupid. How one goes about raising awareness of climate change can be though

So you think adults sailing is stupid then? Is that where the issue is for you? Sailing?

• Advertisement

So you think adults sailing is stupid then? Is that where the issue is for you? Sailing?

Am I gonna have to break out the Cathy Newman meme? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Other propaganda? This stunt is part of a propaganda campaign itself.

Climate change is propaganda? By the way where did you copy and paste that post from earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Russia today. Quality stuff. Also considering you are a conspiracy theorist. Wouldn't that make you a useful idiot for climate change denial and other propaganda?.

Only conspiracy theorists use that term.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Only conspiracy theorists use that term.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, you'd know better since you are one.

Am I gonna have to break out the Cathy Newman meme? :pac:

haha I'm not sure what that is :)

But I mean. You don't think raising awareness about climate change is stupid. But it's the how. The how here is sailing across the Atlantic. So I'm assuming you think sailing across the Atlantic is...stupid.

• Advertisement

Climate change is propaganda? By the way where did you copy and paste that post from earlier?

Your ma

haha I'm not sure what that is :)

But I mean. You don't think raising awareness about climate change is stupid. But it's the how. The how here is sailing across the Atlantic. So I'm assuming you think sailing across the Atlantic is...stupid.

I think adults taking a child with them on a sailing trip across the Atlantic is stupid.

It’s the taking the child with them part.

Some posters don’t seem to understand the definition of propaganda.

I think adults taking a child with them on a sailing trip across the Atlantic is stupid.

It’s the taking the child with them part.

But remember - you've said you'd find it stupid if she was an adult. You're not hung up on the age - stupid regardless - remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

We disagree.
    This has not happened as hoc, overnight.
    The idea 16 year olds are not capable of rational thought is insulting to them, as a demographic.

(I'm not suggesting they are fully mature but to suggest that they are all as flighty as to ignore all the other elements which led to Greta getting on the boat is not the case (not withstanding Gretas parents still authorised it)
    The results from these studies do not mean that a teenager will always make irrational decisions. They do, however, suggest that teenagers need guidance as their brains develop, especially in the realm of controlling emotional impulses in order to make rational decisions. It is becoming clear that the adolescent brain is a work in progress, and that parents and educators can help this progress along through open communication and clear boundaries.

https://brainconnection.brainhq.com/2013/03/20/decision-making-is-still-a-work-in-progress-for-teenagers/

Bizarre that some appear so hung up on the idea of the necessity of a child travelling across the Atlantic in Hurricane season by racing yacht owned by a millionaire to attend a conference of experts. I'm fairly sure that Sweden is already more than adequately represented....

Climate change is a fact and always has been. The real conspiracy theory is catastrophic anthropogenic global warming (CAGW), a theory that activists have not been able to prove scientifically or use to make reliable predictions especially with regard to temperate levels, weather patterns or sea levels.
    The constant predictions of doom by activists have never materialised in the decades they have been pushing their agendas.

One consequence that is measurable though are the taxes collected and the increased costs of energy which works its way into everything we do and has become a wealth redistribution exercise from less well off to those vested interests that gain financially due to the promulgation of the CAGW conspiracy theory.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

But remember - you've said you'd find it stupid if she was an adult. You're not hung up on the age - stupid regardless - remember?

Yes, I remember.

I have tremendous patience with someone who doesn’t appear to understand what I’m saying, but I’m wondering is there a point you’re trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How am I hung up on her age when the fact she is a child is the reason why she was chosen in the first place by adults to promote their cause?

This is a falsehood.

She was not chosen by adults. She led by example and attracted the adults to her, you're suggesting as if they auditioned for a child and choose her.

This is a falsehood.

She was not chosen by adults. She led by example and attracted the adults to her, you're suggesting as if they auditioned for a child and choose her.

You will find it’s exactly the other way round in reality.

gozunda wrote: »

That is insulting to those who are exceptionally advanced interns of cognitive development.

I'm not suggesting Greta is per say but that she is certainly competent enough to be in control of what has happened to her over the last 12 months.

Such studies are understandably speaking in generalities but there also exists those with both reduced and increased development for the age range.

• Advertisement

Yes, I remember.

I have tremendous patience with someone who doesn’t appear to understand what I’m saying, but I’m wondering is there a point you’re trying to make?

I've understood your posts.

You have said if she was an adult you would find it stupid and when I asked what would be stupid about it you said bringing a child is the stupid thing about it.
    In the scenario where she is an adult there is no child.

I was asking you what is stupid about adults sailing to the UN climate change summit to raise awareness about climate change. No children involved remember.

Thanks for your patience .

Based on what evidence. She went on strike from school on her own for a number of months before anyone heard of her.

This is a falsehood.

How is it a falsehood? She was chosen by adults as she was approached by Bo Thoren who suggested a school strike -

Then in May 2018, Thunberg won a writing competition about the environment held by Svenska Dagbladet, a Swedish newspaper. The paper published her article after which she was contacted by Bo Thorén from Fossil Free Dalsland, a group interested in doing something about climate change. Thunberg attended a few of their meetings, and at one of them, Thoren also suggested that school children could strike for climate change. Thunberg tried to persuade other young people to get involved but "no one was really interested" so eventually, she decided to go ahead with the strike by herself.

From Greta Thunberg Wikipedia page

Based on what evidence. She went on strike from school on her own for a number of months before anyone heard of her.

You make an assertion without evidence and then ask for evidence? And please don’t cite Wikipedia.

I feel legitimately sorry for her, she's being exploited and yet she doesn't know that. This modern day version of the Children's Crusade is distasteful and it's distressing that a confused young life is being messed up by parents and other adults who ought to know and do better Its sad to see an autistic 16 year old become some Green poster girl so her parents can rake in the money. Hopefully once her 15 minutes of fame are up she may be able to move onto something better with her life.

I've understood your posts.

You have said if she was an adult you would find it stupid and when I asked what would be stupid about it you said bringing a child is the stupid thing about it.
    In the scenario where she is an adult there is no child.

I was asking you what is stupid about adults sailing to the UN climate change summit to raise awareness about climate change. No children involved remember.

Thanks for your patience .

You’re being incredibly disingenuous there. It wasn’t hard to understand that I was saying I think the whole idea of how they’re going about raising awareness of climate change is stupid. There are millions of other ways to do it, and there are more practical ways to travel than sailing across the Atlantic in a yacht. I do get it of course that the idea is because the child won’t travel by air, but why does she need to travel at all? The adults could travel, I’d still think it was stupid, but at least they wouldn’t be putting a child at risk.

Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,738 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I feel legitimately sorry for her, she's being exploited and yet she doesn't know that. This modern day version of the Children's Crusade is distasteful and it's distressing that a confused young life is being messed up by parents and other adults who ought to know and do better Its sad to see an autistic 16 year old become some Green poster girl so her parents can rake in the money. Hopefully once her 15 minutes of fame are up she may be able to move onto something better with her life.

As you say... A modern version of the Childrens Crusade.
    It is morally disgusting the way this girl is being abused in this manner
    Parental abuse.
    Should be taken into care.
    Zero chance of that with such connected parents.
    Anyone who encourages this riduculous stunt is complicit in parental abuse.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

How is it a falsehood? She was chosen by adults as she was approached by Bo Thoren who suggested a school strike -

Then in May 2018, Thunberg won a writing competition about the environment held by Svenska Dagbladet, a Swedish newspaper. The paper published her article after which she was contacted by Bo Thorén from Fossil Free Dalsland, a group interested in doing something about climate change. Thunberg attended a few of their meetings, and at one of them, Thoren also suggested that school children could strike for climate change. Thunberg tried to persuade other young people to get involved but "no one was really interested" so eventually, she decided to go ahead with the strike by herself.

From Greta Thunberg Wikipedia page
    You make an assertion without evidence and then ask for evidence? And please don’t cite Wikipedia.

OEJ, you are correct that Greta started the strikes after being involved in conversations with Bo amongst others (not that Thoren asked her to strike as such).

From Greta's Facebook
    Many people love to spread rumors saying that I have people ”behind me” or that I’m being ”paid” or ”used” to do what I’m doing. But there is no one ”behind” me except for myself. My parents were as far from climate activists as possible before I made them aware of the situation.
    I am not part of any organization. I sometimes support and cooperate with several NGOs that work with the climate and environment. But I am absolutely independent and I only represent myself. And I do what I do completely for free, I have not received any money or any promise of future payments in any form at all. And nor has anyone linked to me or my family done so.

That still strikes me very much as someone working off their own initiative.

It wasn’t hard to understand that I was saying I think the whole idea of how they’re going about raising awareness of climate change is stupid. ....

To me it just seemed a good way to get media coverage and raise awareness. I even feel its been done before or something similar?
    Obviously there are more practical ways to travel but generally raising awareness tends to be something like this no? People go on impractical cycles, cycling to electric picnic :) etc.
    And it taking a while keeps it in the media each day. From a raising awareness point of view it's going quite well.

I was actually more, sailing to the climate change summit on the other side of the ocean, meh makes sense haha

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement