Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

Akrasia wrote: »
    For the hard of thinking amongst you, Check the full facts of this story. Greta was found a seat 4hours into her journey that happened to be in 1st class. She didn’t have a 1st class ticket, she didn’t lie about the train being overcrowded, and she did say that she wasn’t angry about trains being overcrowded because it means there is a high demand for eco friendly travel.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/15/greta-thunberg-in-twitter-spat-with-german-rail-firm

Do you really think she is responsible for the picture or that she wrote those tweets? Look again. It wasn’t a random picture and tweet. Clear as day it is propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have to wonder though, if it was ordinary joe soap like myself would i have been alocated that seat?

I mean isn’t climate change about sacrifices?

You might have been. People get upgraded sometimes on planes or trains if their class of ticket is overbooked. She still sat on the floor for 4 hours before getting a seat.

It’s also probable that she sent the tweet before she got a seat and the train company saw it and wanted to avoid bad publicity

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I have to wonder though, if it was ordinary joe soap like myself would i have been alocated that seat?

I mean isn’t climate change supposed to be about sacrifices?

Yes. When the cull begins, the Great Unwashed such as yourself will be the first to be sacrificed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

And yet this somehow doesn’t count as mocking her. Right

Nope. More Bah humbug right?

Didn't make Christmas card or the image. But yup her shouting at the adults in the room "How dare you" has gone viral and yeah people find it funny...

Apparently not just on Christmas cards but Christmas Jumpers. That's it really ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    Back to the topic - Looks like greta is spouting again and it's backfired ... ;)

Greta on a Train Mark 2 ...

How has 'it' backfired?

What is 'it'?

• Advertisement

For the hard of thinking amongst you, Check the full facts of this story. Greta was found a seat 4hours into her journey that happened to be in 1st class. She didn’t have a 1st class ticket, she didn’t lie about the train being overcrowded, and she did say that she wasn’t angry about trains being overcrowded because it means there is a high demand for eco friendly travel.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/15/greta-thunberg-in-twitter-spat-with-german-rail-firm

And more soft soaping and grasping of straws eh?

Following the tweets:
    The company pointedly added: "It would have been even nicer if you had also reported how friendly and competent you were looked after by our team at your seat in first class."

Not a word or a dicky bird on that from the pr team ...

A train? I hope it's not one of those diesel ones...

She should just walk everywhere, but not on roads, cause they’re made of asphalt, she is only allowed to walk through pristine native woodland in sandals made from the bark of a naturally fallen tree ( just the bits of bark that the insects and fungi don’t like to eat or live in) and she’s only allowed to eat food she gathers herself locally in said woodland, and only if she sh1ts out the seeds of those berries to help sustain the forest

If she does all of this, then you’ll finally listen to her.. you definitely wouldn’t call her a crazy extremist and ignore her anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is 'it'?
    I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was.
    Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

jackboy wrote: »
    Do you really think she is responsible for the picture or that she wrote those tweets? Look again. It wasn’t a random picture and tweet. Clear as day it is propaganda.

What's the propaganda point she was trying to convey?

Nope. More Bah humbug right?

Didn't make Christmas card or the image. But yup her shouting at the adults in the room "How dare you" has gone viral and yeah people find it funny...
    Repeating the mockery created by others doesn’t make it less mocking

People finding mockery funny doesn’t stop it being mockery. Why don’t you just admit that you’re mocking her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Yes. When the cull begins, the Great Unwashed such as yourself will be the first to be sacrificed.

Stop talking nonsense, that talk is what’s brainwashed into your brain.

biko wrote: »
    Sadly her many followers will only remember her picture, not the company's correction.

Her tweet
    9,409 Retweets 172,729 Likes

The correction
    2.8K Retweets 10.2K Likes

091.png

https://twitter.com/DB_Presse/status/1206182674949382145

Was the train company correcting her, or just putting forward their own spin?

Nobody is saying Greta didn’t have to sit on the floor on an overcrowded train

Stop talking nonsense, that talk is what’s brainwashed into your brain.

Not sure what you mean. I'll assume you want me to stop talking.

How has 'it' backfired?

What is 'it'?

See above comments on the story

Dont think you would get it tbh. But no worries ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why is it "spin"? They found her the seat by all accounts.

And more soft soaping and grasping of straws eh?

Following the tweets:

Not a word or a dicky bird on that from the pr team ...
    The fact that the staff were nice and she eventually got a seat doesn’t change the reality that she spent a long time sitting on the floor because the train was overcrowded

Which part of her tweet was a lie?

See above ....

Dont think you would get it tbh. But no worries ...

See the above doesn't wash when it is misrepresenting the whole thing and ignoring her follow up tweet.

Even without which, it's forced outrage. I thought you'd giver her kudos for the 2 refillable bottles in her bag but, nah, they're just there for more spin.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Why is it "spin"? They found her the seat by all accounts.

It’s spin because it doesn’t change the fact that the substance of her tweet was true, it was designed to make them look good and her look bad

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    What's the propaganda point she was trying to convey?

More pushing of the Greta messiah image. Suffering on her mission to save the world.

She is not trying to convey any point herself. Her team are responsible for the picture and tweets. She did not write those tweets and the picture was not her idea.

Fair play to Greta. By setting herself up as a lightning rod for climate change denying fruitloops, she is forcing them to become aware of climate change. She probably doesn't give a rat's ass about the mockery and just sees it as people venting their incoherent rage at the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She is pointing to established climate science yet it seems that some of the least academically/technically qualified boardsies have a problem with the science.

More pushing of the Greta messiah image. Suffering on her mission to save the world.

She is not trying to convey any point herself. Her team are responsible for the picture and tweets. She did not write those tweets and the picture was not her idea.

Or, it was just another message of her travels which she has been on for the last several months with accompanying images.

She is pointing to established climate science yet it seems that some of the least academically/technically qualified boardsies have a problem with the science.

It's ok. They're just joking. They don't actually have a problem with her message.
    Going by the posts of one of them at least anyway, as much as I can figure out.

Or, it was just another message of her travels which she has been on for the last several months with accompanying images.

No.

It’s spin because it doesn’t change the fact that the substance of her tweet was true, it was designed to make them look good and her look bad
    Hmm, and I thought you were looking at all the facts rather than making them say what you want to read. This is an incredibly subjective biased view of it and my own biased view is they said it would have been nice if ....

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

Aren't you reading a lot into that particular tweet? I mean we live in a culture obsessed with taking selfies ..some just prior to falling over a cliff.

No.

How do you know?
    How does it differ from all other pictures and messages?

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    Aren't you reading a lot into that particular tweet? I mean we live in a culture obsessed with taking selfies ..some just prior to falling over a cliff.

It wasn’t a selfie, clearly.

She keeps saying don't listen to me yet continues to assume people will listen to her. It's quite the conundrum.

• Advertisement

Repeating the mockery created by others doesn’t make it less mocking. People finding mockery funny doesn’t stop it being mockery. Why don’t you just admit that you’re mocking her?

Lol. Nope and would ye fek away off with that nonsense. People bizarrely claiming mockery doesn’t stop something being funny. But yeah theres a humour chip missing somewhere I reckon - eitherway It's funny and its gone viral. Deal with however you like after that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement