Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

is_that_so wrote: »
    She keeps saying don't listen to me yet continues to assume people will listen to her. It's quite the conundrum.

Where has she said that?

She has said she doesn't have the answers. That is quite different to implying that she is suggesting that people discount her message entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She keeps saying don't listen to me yet continues to assume people will listen to her. It's quite the conundrum.

Another example of how ppl are willfully spinning her message incorrectly. It’s not working folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Where has she said that?

She has said she doesn't have the answers. That is quite different to implying that she is suggesting that people discount her message entirely.
    She doesn't have any answers but still wants to be listened to. That's fine and it's perfectly normal activity for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Akrasia wrote: »
    The fact that the staff were nice and she eventually got a seat doesn’t change the reality that she spent a long time sitting on the floor because the train was overcrowded

Which part of her tweet was a lie?

And yet not a word mentioned about that. Funny eh?

Was the word 'lie' mentioned except by your good self?

But yes there is such a thing as lie by omission.

https://www.thecut.com/2016/12/lying-by-omission-isnt-any-more-honest-than-plain-old-lying.html

But you probably think that's ok no?

She doesn't have any answers but still wants to be listened to. That's fine and it's perfectly normal activity for kids.

Ok. You've obviously just heard about her and have no knowledge of what has been going on, what she has done, or what her message is.

Take some time to review and catch up, it's a bit embarrassing to be so far behind.

• Advertisement

Another example of how ppl are willfully spinning her message incorrectly. It’s not working folks.
    Hmm. From the horse's mouth!
    "I am submitting this report as my testimony because I don't want you to listen to me, I want you to listen to the scientists," Thunberg said.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hmm. From the horse's mouth!

There you go. She’s not the expert but She wants You to look at the established science and then take action on climate change. I don’t see what’s so hard in all of this.

Ok. You've obviously just heard about her and have no knowledge of what has been going on, what she has done, or what her message is.

Take some time to review and catch up, it's a bit embarrassing to be so far behind.
    Nah I'm fine. I find information from people who actually know something about a topic is a far better use of time. I lost interest in her quite some time back. She does nothing for me at all but good luck to her.

There you go. She’s not the expert but She wants You to look at the established science and then take action on climate change. I don’t see what’s so hard in all of this.
    Pretty much what I said. In other words, absolutely no reason whatsoever to listen to her at all.

See the above doesn't wash when it is misrepresenting the whole thing and ignoring her follow up tweet.
    Even without which, it's forced outrage. I thought you'd giver her kudos for the 2 refillable bottles in her bag but, nah, they're just there for more spin.

Yeah so you keep saying. It's not outrage though. It's simply pointing out the PR shenanigans of all this ****e.

Afaik the photo was posted by greta inc. I'm sure they're wise to the whole plastic news story by now

And yeah it's funny too :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

Has that bit finished now or is there more to come?

She is pointing to established climate science yet it seems that some of the least academically/technically qualified boardsies have a problem with the science.

Nah she is screaming that civilisation is going to end in a decade and that the adults have ruined her childhood or wtte. Hardly needs either academic or technical qualifications to understand none of that is 'science' despite all the promotion...

Nah I'm fine. I find information from people who actually know something about a topic is a far better use of time. I lost interest in her quite some time back. She does nothing for me at all but good luck to her.

Ok, cool, so you'll listen to the scientists she is advocating for.

Excellent.

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    Has that bit finished now or is there more to come?

No there's a new episode 'Greta on a Train' mark 3 which is coming next ;)

Travelling the world really gives wonderful opportunities for PR ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

1.5c above preindustrial temperatures has for decades been the target to avoid dangerous climate change because of the risks that positive feedbacks can amplify warming beyond human influences. Any warming above 1.5c increases the risk that we will trigger more of these known feedbacks and some we don’t even know about yet.

2c is the next round number to aim for and the scientific evidence is that we are on target to exceed our carbon budget required to stay below 2c so our best chance is to aim to be carbon neutral ASAP and then begin removing some carbon by becoming net carbon negative sometime in the 2nd half of this century

There is broad scientific consensus with this, it’s less certain than the unequivocal human cause of the warming, but it’s also the best available scientific hypotheses on the matter, vastly surpassing and alternative put forward by any climate skeptics

There is no consensus of this. Its so dishonest to imply there is. Some experts feel a 3 C increase is a better target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

She is pointing to established climate science yet it seems that some of the least academically/technically qualified boardsies have a problem with the science.

Yet Greta constantly misrepresents it.

So a Twitterstorm generated a post storm in this thread. Interesting! An algorithm is controlling your responses.
    Dr Naomi Wolf
    @naomirwolf
    ·

People shd realize that there is now technology to direct a "tweetstorm", using AI, at any influencer who threatens established interests; using any silly pretext at all. You can see the influencers who've been targeted with this but you may not know a lot of it is an algorithm.

Greta has taken over your minds. She has won!!!

Governments should borrow based on the future strength of the economy. If current borrowing wither reduces future costs or boosts future income, then it is justified. Borrowing now to stop climate change is totally justified on both counts

total non sequitur to append this to my post tbh.

So a Twitterstorm generated a post storm in this thread. Interesting! An algorithm is controlling your responses.Greta has taken over your minds. She has won!!!

Is that similar to a sh1tstorm? ;)

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/****storm
    The public relations ****storm would end your career if anyone ever found out about this!

Dont know about you - I read it in a news report

But yeah make a comment in a thread about greta and others seem to loose their frillies...*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

*sp corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jackboy wrote: »
    No.

What was it then?

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    Is that similar to a sh1tstorm? ;)

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/****storm

Dont know about you - I read it in a news report

But yeah make a comment in a thread about greta and some people seem to loose their fillies...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

There's a newspaper report as well! How did the horse come into it? Was it on the train telling people to listen to the science? Is that why Greta didn't have a seat? If the horse is concerned should we be? So many questions.

The posts go by so fast it's hard to keep track of all the different dimensions to this propaganda statement. I have to hand it to you guys. You've certainly got a handle on the nuances of social media. I need to have a look at this Twitter thing.

Actually I just googled that story. It was certainly picked up quickly by mainstream media.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Hmm, and I thought you were looking at all the facts rather than making them say what you want to read. This is an incredibly subjective biased view of it and my own biased view is they said it would have been nice if ....

Do you know what spin is?

Greta posts that she was on an overcrowded train. Train company responds saying but she didn’t say we eventually gave her a 1st class seat. The response does not negate the initial complaint. It just spins it to make the train company look better and the complainant look ungrateful/disengenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

What was it then?

Seriously. Can anyone look at that picture and deny that it is clearly carefully staged and posed for a purpose. Also the tweet going on about an overcrowded train. She is sitting in a massive empty corridor. It’s just a poorly thought out PR job.

Do you know what spin is?

Greta posts that she was on an overcrowded train. Train company responds saying but she didn’t say we eventually gave her a 1st class seat. The response does not negate the initial complaint. It just spins it to make the train company look better and the complainant look ungrateful/disengenuous

Was she complaining? It just seems to me that she was making an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

she is forcing them to become aware of climate change. .

The poor result of the summit seems to suggest otherwise.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The poor result of the summit seems to suggest otherwise.

It's clear the political will or co-operation isn't there. That's what prompted her activism. If you don't believe any meaningful action is required then the failure of the COP25 is irrelevant or perhaps good news otherwise it's not good news. This really isn't as complicated as you seem to suggest. People interested in climate change should be discussing COP25 and solutions such as the GND as focusing on trivia like this is a diversion.

It's clear the political will or co-operation isn't there. That's what prompted her activism. If you don't believe any meaningful action is required then the failure of the COP25 is irrelevant or perhaps good news otherwise it's not good news. This really isn't as complicated as you seem to suggest.

I never suggested it was complicated. Greta has been around for a while now and the political will is still not there.

Like i said unless there’s an alternative that doesn’t affect peoples lifestyles or the economy she’s wasting her time.

I never suggested it was complicated. Greta has been around for a while now and the political will is still not there.

Like i said unless there’s an alternative that doesn’t affect peoples lifestyles or the economy she’s wasting her time.

Shes trying to promote finding alternative solutions.
    She is advocating for dedicated efforts to be prioritised for this. That is her whole MO.
    If the alternatives were available, she might not even be protesting.

If every advocate or creator waited until the solution was obvious, we'd still be living in the dark ages.

If the alternatives were available, .

Exactly, they aren’t available.

• Advertisement

Exactly, they aren’t available.

Read the last line again. Bold added for your benefit.
    Shes trying to promote finding alternative solutions.
    She is advocating for dedicated efforts to be prioritised for this. That is her whole MO.
    If the alternatives were available, she might not even be protesting.

If every advocate or creator waited until the solution was obvious, we'd still be living in the dark ages.

What do you suggest? Do nothing?

Do you think it is a waste of time searching for cure for serious diseases which kill people and which existing treatment solutions aren't adequate?

I don't think you have thought this through.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement