Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Ah right i get you, because i’m not interested in the climate change doomsday i’m not entitled to post here?

It did concern me because you implied people who don’t care are immature etc.

We were discussing why there wasn't a thread dedicated to COP25. We didn't mention you at all as part of that discussion and what your entitlements are? Why are you asking me? Can't you ask a moderator?

Is it possible, on reflection, that you now see you were completely wrong in your presumption, and that the mature thing to do would be, at least, to admit to your error in judgement ,as that would be sufficient in terms of an apology.

it might help in your reflection to consider these words:

"Offence can never be given, only taken.
    In other words, before you can offend me, I have to allow you to do so."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    We were discussing why there wasn't a thread dedicated to COP25. We didn't mention you at all as part of that discussion and what your entitlements are? Why are you asking me? Can't you ask a moderator?

Is it possible, on reflection, that you now see you were completely wrong in your presumption, and that the mature thing to do would be, at least, to admit to your error in judgement ,as that would be sufficient in terms of an apology

Apologise to you ? Lmao. Get off that high horse before you fall off and cause yourself an injury.

If you were paying attention to my posts you would see i never said it was me you were talking about but your comments were directed at the “ deniers “ and “haters” on the thread so my presumption stands.

So keep waffling on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

It’s coming to personal attacks now because we don’t agree with the cult. We can’t have grown up discussions now because our views are different lol
    Apologise to you ? Lmao. Get off that high horse before you fall off and cause yourself an injury.

If you were paying attention to my posts you would see i never said it was me you were talking about but your comments were directed at the “ deniers “ and “haters” on the thread so my presumption stands.

So keep waffling on...

You asked of me,even though I wasn't talking to you:
    Are you saying i’m not all grown up because i differ from your views?

Since, as I explained to you,I haven't paid any attention to your posts, it's therefore implied I would not have any idea what your views are, and as I clearly didn't direct a question at you since i wasn't in conversation with you, then the only thing to conclude is, that since you can't admit you're wrong but rather hide behind rudeness as a defense mechanism, rather than take ownership of your own behaviour you have demonstrated a lack of maturity in this instance and possibly let your community down at the same time,whoever they might be. That however is neither my problem or concern. I can only suggest that maybe you should consider whether social media brings out your best qualities or if it's a more deep seated problem then maybe you should consider a behavioural therapist. I'm afraid i'm not qualified in that field so I can't help you any further.

• Advertisement

You asked of me,even though I wasn't talking to you:

Since, as I explained to you,I haven't paid any attention to your posts, it's therefore implied I would not have any idea what your views are, and as I clearly didn't direct a question at you since i wasn't in conversation with you, then the only thing to conclude is, that since you can't admit you're wrong but rather hide behind rudeness as a defense mechanism, rather than take ownership of your own behaviour you have demonstrated a lack of maturity in this instance and possibly let your community down at the same time,whoever they might be. That however is neither my problem or concern. I can only suggest that maybe you should consider whether social media brings out your best qualities or if it's a more deep seated problem then maybe you should consider a behavioural therapist. I'm afraid i'm not qualified in that field so I can't help you any further.

I think someone has been on the sauce tonight lmao, but i forgive you it gave me a chuckle ;-)

I think someone has been on the sauce tonight lmao, but i forgive you ;-)

Well as well as being trigger happy and consistent in your default behaviour, you at least know when you're beaten. Take that as a positive and a sign of hope.

Well as well as being trigger happy and consistent in your default behaviour, you at least know when you're beaten. Take that as a positive and a sign of hope.

Beaten? Lol. You just gave me a great laugh with that last post.

Beaten? Lol. You just gave me a great laugh with that last post.

What you didn't realize was that what was meant by a 'grown up conversation about COP25' was more about having the opportunity to discuss the details of that event and its outcomes with reference to the documents and videos produced by the forum without having the thread derailed by a discussion about whether anthropogenic climate change is a reality or not. That's being discussed in other threads.You know it's like that Dublin ting where after a while you get bored of constant smart arsed comments and you begin to wonder if we're even able any more to have more serious discussions. God knows this country needs it. So in reality 'grown up conversation about COP25' was not meant in a pejorative sense but more a sense of frustration.

However since you weren't to know that and following the advice of Lao Tzu
    “Water is the softest thing, yet it can penetrate mountains and earth. This shows clearly the principle of softness overcoming hardness.”

I will happily concede a draw as it's not the destination ..now that's waffling or is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Akrasia wrote: »
    Do you know what spin is?

Greta posts that she was on an overcrowded train. Train company responds saying but she didn’t say we eventually gave her a 1st class seat. The response does not negate the initial complaint. It just spins it to make the train company look better and the complainant look ungrateful/disengenuous

Which she is,or rather her pr team are.

Such a disappointment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Oh dear. What a liar. She really needs to start taking her meds again.

What was the lie?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What was the lie?

She had a first class seat, in the picture she is clearly implying she sat on the floor for the duration of the journey..The initial tweet was artificially constructed to portray a certain image.

Serious own goal by her PR team, and fair play to DB for calling her our

Anyways it's all opinion on this one. I think her PR team have made a mistake. Note in the follow up she/they never mention DB.

The hullabaloo about everything Greta does is gas.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"Our train from Basel was taken out of traffic. So we sat on the floor on 2 different trains. After Göttingen I got a seat.

"This is no problem of course and I never said it was. Overcrowded trains is a great sign because it means the demand for train travel is high!"

I'm sure we can all agree on one thing though, let's unite behind the science! Go science!

She had a first class seat, in the picture she is clearly implying she sat on the floor for the duration of the journey...

Ah I get ya. I didn't think that when I seen the tweet. Presumed a few different trains would have been involved in the journey.

As you say all opinion.

I travel a lot by train and often have been without a seat even with one booked haha. Love train travel though!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

The hullabaloo about everything Greta does is gas.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"Our train from Basel was taken out of traffic. So we sat on the floor on 2 different trains. After Göttingen I got a seat."This is no problem of course and I never said it was. Overcrowded trains is a great sign because it means the demand for train travel is high!"I'm sure we can all agree on one thing though, let's unite behind the science! Go science!

Ah you agree with shrugman again. Good stuff bro ;)

But you know If you use social media for PR - people going to comment, especially where a story doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

#no comment allowed!

Gas... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

gozunda wrote: »
    But you know If you use social media for PR - people going comment,

Oh of course. It's just how they comment is gas.

"She really needs to start taking her meds again."

Its actually a bit like the louise o neill thread in here haha

Ah I get ya. I didn't think that when I seen the tweet. Presumed a few different trains would have been involved in the journey.

As you say all opinion.

I travel a lot by train and often have been without a seat even with one booked haha. Love train travel though!

It's just so disingenuous, where are the rest of her party etc? It's the sort of Ill advised photo opportunity you would associate with a politician , like the Corbyn example.

I also don't like the nasty comments but if Trump, Johnson, Varadker had done similar, they would be getting alot worse. That is horrible social media

I also don't like the nasty comments

Me neither. We can agree on that. Shows people up for what they are though, so can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She had a first class seat, in the picture she is clearly implying she sat on the floor for the duration of the journey..The initial tweet was artificially constructed to portray a certain image.

Serious own goal by her PR team, and fair play to DB for calling her our

Anyways it's all opinion on this one. I think her PR team have made a mistake. Note in the follow up she/they never mention DB.

All of this “own goal” thing is in your own head

You need to look at your priorities if you are up at the crack of dawn posting on boards about GT and her so called PR team.

Have a read of her short and accessible book over Christmas and you will see where she is coming from and what she is campaigning for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Akrasia wrote: »
    The fact that the staff were nice and she eventually got a seat doesn’t change the reality that she spent a long time sitting on the floor because the train was overcrowded

Which part of her tweet was a lie?

So overcrowded that there wasn’t a single other soul in the corridor that Gertie found herself sitting in.

Her book has been read by a 10 year old and a 87 year old (among others) in my extended family and they are tuned into the climate change emergency like never before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Fair play to Greta. By setting herself up as a lightning rod for climate change denying fruitloops, she is forcing them to become aware of climate change. She probably doesn't give a rat's ass about the mockery and just sees it as people venting their incoherent rage at the world.

HOW DARE YOU!!

Oh of course. It's just how they comment is gas.
    "She really needs to start taking her meds again." Its actually a bit like the louise o neill thread in here haha

Yeah you never know what social media can turn up. But as you said gas. I think someone in gretas PR team needs an arsekicking for sure ;)

Edit: Didn't louise o neill break from Twitter for a while? Maybe there's a lesson there for the people around greta tbh.

Yeah you never know what social media can turn up. But as you said gas. I think someone in gretas PR team needs an arsekicking for sure ;)

Why are ppl desperate to spin this when in reality she has a simple message and she is effectively putting that message across to millions.

And it’s working. Long may she continue.

Yeah you never know what social media can turn up.

Unfortunately the ignorance and nasty comments are only too common on social media these days.

Unfortunately the ignorance and nasty comments are only too common on social media these days.

Yeah that seems to be part of it for sure and stupid comments too. Edit above to add - didnt louise o neill break from Twitter for a while? Maybe a lesson for the people around greta tbh

didnt louise o neill break from Twitter for a while? Maybe a lesson for the people around greta tbh

Sorry no idea on Louise actually.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that anyway. Should never.

Why are ppl desperate to spin this when in reality she has a simple message and she is effectively putting that message across to millions.
    And it’s working. Long may she continue.

Don't see the spin tbh. I see a reaction to a story that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. And on social media - thats going to happen regardless of anyones opinions on gretas 'message'. Which I'm not convinced is working tbh. But no matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I was actually joking about Ireland being under water for a bit of humour.. But do a google search and scientists years ago did predict areas underwater that thankfully never happened.

I know you can find all kinds of ludicrous claims and claims about claims on google. I asked for your source because I want to know if you’re getting your information from somewhere reliable or from an echo chamber

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement