Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Akrasia wrote: »
    Who took the picture then?

Her PR staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tuisceanch

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Think it was one of those misunderstandings due to being able to speak multiple languages.

Yes the phrase ''att ställa någon mot väggen' in Swedish literally means to put somebody up against the wall but it is an idiomatic expression which means to make people accountable for their words or actions. In english,which I only learned because of her tweet,an equivalent expression would be:

hold feet to the fire
    hold (one's) feet to the fire
    To put pressure on one to do, say, or consent to something.

In german they would say 'jemanden auf etwas festnageln' Again I learned that from looking at her tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Micky 32 wrote: »
    More brainwashing i suspect.

It was pointed out however at least this time there were no plastic bottles or plastic wrapped food items to view. Just two reusable water bottles and a cardboard food carton of some description with greta sitting on the floor, all by herself wistfully looking out the window.

I hate crowded trains ....

gozunda wrote: »
    It was pointed out however at least this time there were no plastic bottles or plastic wrapped food items to view. Just two reusable water bottles and a cardboard food carton of some description with greta sitting on the floor, all by herself wistfully looking out the window.

I hate crowded trains ....

Me too. Those sweaty, heaving bodies invading my space really is a unacceptable. Think I’ll stick to my gas guzzling vehicle instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Me too. Those sweaty, heaving bodies invading my space really is a unacceptable. Think I’ll stick to my gas guzzling vehicle instead.

I too find the general run of the hoi polloi to have, to put it politely, questionable personal hygiene standards and thus prefer to drive. In my defence, these days I run a little turbodiesel that does 60mpg. You wouldn't bate it with iron. :D

• Advertisement

Tuisceanch wrote: »
    Yes the phrase ''att ställa någon mot väggen' in Swedish literally means to put somebody up against the wall but it is an idiomatic expression which means to make people accountable for their words or actions. In english,which I only learned because of her tweet,an equivalent expression would be:

hold feet to the fire

In german they would say 'jemanden auf etwas festnageln' Again I learned that from looking at her tweet.

Yeah I believe that happened regularly during quite a few revolutions - lots of people put up against the wall in order to make them 'accountable' for their words or actions :(

But thanks for the explanation - I get what your saying. Babel eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You and me both lady! All those germs, flu’s colds and viruses etc lol. Can’t beat the auld gas guzzler ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Tuisceanch wrote: »

hold feet to the fire

Ha I feel some people haven't put as much thought into it as you. I think it's a, we don't like the message so we must attack the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Do you know what spin is?

Greta posts that she was on an overcrowded train. Train company responds saying but she didn’t say we eventually gave her a 1st class seat. The response does not negate the initial complaint. It just spins it to make the train company look better and the complainant look ungrateful/disengenuous
    It's in the eye of the beholder. I will confess I really don't get this need to explain the vacuous space that is Twitter. X tweets something, people react, Y responds, people react. I read, lose interest and I move on.

I think it's a, we don't like the message so we must attack the messenger.

Ah you mean if someone doesn’t like the message and they criticise they automatically get upgraded for free as an attacker? Ah i get you ;-)

• Advertisement

Ha I feel some people haven't put as much thought into it as you. I think it's a, we don't like the message so we must attack the messenger.

Sadly that happens quite a bit too for sure ...

Ah you mean if someone doesn’t like the message and they criticise they automatically get upgraded for free as an attacker? Ah i get you ;-)

You mean if they criticise the messenger and not the message.. Yeah? No?

You mean if they criticise the messenger and not the message.. Yeah? No?
    Both

Both

Ah I get you. Ha

Ah I get you. Ha

I mean you will get genuine haters and attackers toward Greta, i don’t agree with that for sure. But when i posted a video of her car with plastic bottles that i got lectured about, i got upgraded to hater and attacker status.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I mean you will get genuine haters and attackers toward Greta, i don’t agree with that for sure. But when i posted a video of her car with plastic bottles that i got lectured about, i got upgraded to hater and attacker status.

When her supporters were shown a photo of the car they were disgusted, went on a rant. Then when it was pointed out that it was Greta’s car they shut up.

Someone mentioned that it’s like a cult, it’s becoming more and more like that each day. They’re extremists.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,429 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Ppl would do well to focus on the message that GT focuses on

And not who took a pic of her in a train.

I’d suggest a passer by took the pic but it matters little in the big scheme of things.

Priorities people !!
    My point was that people are saying ridiculous things about her staging photos and their own claims not even evidence free but are often contradictory

Yeah a bit like some of your climate change buddies on here getting pissed and spouting personal insults. Got a good laugh out of it though, shows how pathetic someone is.

You’re complaining about being subjected to personal insults on a thread aimed entirely at personally attacking a16 year old girl. It’s not an insult to call someone wilfully ignorant when they happily declare that they don’t care about the topic and refuse to educate themselves

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    When her supporters were shown a photo of the car they were disgusted, went on a rant. Then when it was pointed out that it was Greta’s car they shut up.

Someone mentioned that it’s like a cult, it’s becoming more and more like that each day. They’re extremists.

Yeah it was hilarious watching them stutter and stammer and lost for words. Then the denial kicked in that it wasn’t her car blah blah

Gozunda your inbox is full, tried replying to you there.

That goes for anything especially your neurotic doomsday prophecies.

It’s common knowledge scientist some years back were spouting bs about everywhere being submerged.

Lots of things are ’common knowledge’ and also completely untrue

• Advertisement

You’re complaining about being subjected to personal insults on a thread aimed entirely at personally attacking a16 year old girl. It’s not an insult to call someone wilfully ignorant when they happily declare that they don’t care about the topic and refuse to educate themselves

Can you change the record and go away? Did you read the immature rant your buddy wrote? He threw his toys out of the pram because he can’t convert me. You’re paranoid to think this thread was about attacking.

You’re the one that needs educating. I’ll try and educate. I know all about the climate changing but i’ll repeat. I don’t give a toss. Now hopefully that educated you.

I appreciate people who create awareness but i won’t tolerate people trying to shove something down someones neck.

Lots of things are ’common knowledge’ and also completely untrue

A bit like the climate change doomsday prophesies

I've no idea what you're trying to say. Sorry man. We'll agree to not understand each other :) have a nice day

Arkasia - this is a long standing and topical thread and where afaik no one is forced to participate. Sure we should all report anything which breaks any ToU but you're absolutely wrong if you think this thread is "aimed entirely at personally attacking a16 year old girl".

It's a thread regarding gretas travels across the world. Yes theres some humour involved but lots of other frankly good and odd stuff in equal measure. Plenty of other public figures are getting discussed atm on boards including Dimmy Tooley, the Healy Raes and Gemma Doherty. And like them - yes this thread concerns another public figure who is an activist in the public shere and commenting regularly on social media . Yes she's 16 - old enough to figure **** out but that hasn't stopped her doing or saying just about anything she wants as far as I can see. And here we are. Fine if you dont like that but tbh its a bit idiotic to think that no one can comment or criticise anything that she says or does in that role as an activist. And that's where we're at....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

A thread aimed at personally attacking a 16 year old? Jaysus you’re a bigger drama queen than Greta. I’d call it criticism and if you are going to put yourself out there pushing an agenda you will get criticised whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sounds plausible though- it would represent taking her campaign in a new direction- but if its fizzling out- after the excuse of a UN declaration- perhaps ratcheting things up a notch- or even threatening to- will keep her in the news? I'm sure it would be explained away as a misunderstanding if anyone actually followed through on it- or indeed, if they were caught, they'd have a new martyr? Not that it would be likely to be followed through on anyway- I'm sure politicians get threats every day of the week, a 16 year old Swedish girl threatening them should be water off a ducks back...……..

You really should take the 2 seconds to research things before posting on them.

It will make people less likely to think you don't know what you are talking about.

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1205863994881400832

jimgoose wrote: »
    I too find the general run of the hoi polloi to have, to put it politely, questionable personal hygiene standards and thus prefer to drive. In my defence, these days I run a little turbodiesel that does 60mpg. You wouldn't bate it with iron. :D
    You and me both lady! All those germs, flu’s colds and viruses etc lol. Can’t beat the auld gas guzzler ;-)

Gotta laugh at people being proud of being stuck in the past.

I mean, there's needs must, but then there's this. Guess that's some of the humour Gozunda is crying out for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You really should take the 2 seconds to research things before posting on them.

It will make people less likely to think you don't know what you are talking about.

I don't follow Greta's twitter feed.
    I read about her alleged threat on Il Giorno- in Italian, not English.
    I accept that she is rowing backwards and it may mean something different in Swedish than it does in Italian, English- and however many other languages. However, if you're making pronouncements to as many followers as she has (and I'm not one of them)- you have to exercise a modicum of cop and make sure you're not saying something that is open to bad misinterpretation, if that is indeed what happened.

You really should take the 2 seconds to research things before posting on them. It will make people less likely to think you don't know what you are talking about.

Interesting tweet that. I'd presume the entire school strike movement she refers to is also against going to school no?

Ok she said the wrong thing there but there was also gretas speech in Parliament Square in London where she called for 'civil disobedience' and for people there to 'rebel'. Rebellions and civil disobedience normally end up with people getting seriously hurt. Rabel rousing generally not a good idea imo..

• Advertisement

I don't follow Greta's twitter feed.
    I read about her alleged threat on Il Giorno- in Italian, not English.
    I accept that she is rowing backwards and it may mean something different in Swedish than it does in Italian, English- and however many other languages. However, if you're making pronouncements to as many followers as she has (and I'm not one of them)- you have to exercise a modicum of cop and make sure you're not saying something that is open to bad misinterpretation, if that is indeed what happened.

She's not rowing backwards. She's explaining why some misinterpreted it.

Don't know what relevance it has whether you read it in Italian or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement