Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,738 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I was actually more, sailing to the climate change summit on the other side of the ocean, meh makes sense haha

It might if...
    It wasnt hurricane season.
    You had serious sailing experience or were capable of crewing the yacht.
    You werent planning on flying back.
    You werent flying crew over just so they could sail the yacht back.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It might if...
    It wasnt hurricane season.
    You had serious sailing experience or were capable of crewing the yacht.
    You werent planning on flying back.
    You werent flying crew over just so they could sail the yacht back.

I presume the crew are capable :)
    Again I've sponsored cycles were they didn't cycle back - it's nothing unique to this.

I just found the backlash strange as it's quite a common concept for me when it comes to impractical projects to raise awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OEJ, you are correct that Greta started the strikes after being involved in conversations with Bo amongst others (not that Thoren asked her to strike as such).

From Greta's Facebook

That still strikes me very much as someone working off their own initiative.

Oh yeah Greta is certainly working off her own initiative and I don’t doubt her sincerity in what she believes in. That’s why I say I do admire her dedication at least. It’s clear she is passionate about getting people to change their attitudes and behaviours.

That being said, Greta wouldn’t have captured the public consciousness had it not been for the adults I do agree with you she has attracted to herself who are enabling her to do what she’s doing and while Greta herself is making no money from her endeavours, the people involved with her certainly are -

A Swedish entrepreneur who claims to have been “the first to pay attention to” Swedish child climate activist Greta Thunberg, used her name to bring in almost SEK 10m for a new share issue, according to an investigation by the Svenska Dagbladet newspaper. Ingmar Rentzhog, founder of We Don't Have Time, asked Thunberg in October if she wanted to sit a Youth Advisory Board for his social media start-up We Don't Have Time, which she accepted.

He then used her more than eleven times in the promotional material for a share issue announced on November 27. The prospectus promised investors that the venture, which channels just 10 percent of its profits to a charitable fund, has potential to be "extremely profitable” by creating viral environmental content to pull in money via digital adverts.

Thunberg's father Svante Thunberg told the newspaper that Rentzhog, who has a background in financial PR, had never informed the family that her name would be used. “No, we haven't received any information about that. Neither has Greta,” he told the newspaper. “It is unfortunate if she was used commercially. But she hasn't known anything about this. None of us have known this.”

Rentzhog founded the company in 2017, aiming to create “the world´s largest social network for climate action". On the same day that Thunberg started her school strike last August, he came with a freelance photographer, posting her photo on his Facebook page and Instagram account, and making a video in English that he posted on the company's YouTube channel.

The film has been watched almost 88 000 times.

In the 120-page prospectus, the company makes a claim to have discovered Thunberg.

Start-up used teen climate activist to raise millions: Swedish paper

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That is insulting to those who are exceptionally advanced interns of cognitive development.
    I'm not suggesting Greta is per say but that she is certainly competent enough to be in control of what has happened to her over the last 12 months.Such studies are understandably speaking in generalities but there also exists those with both reduced and increased development for the age range.

And you know better than experts - exactly how? Afaik It's a fairly well known phenomenon of adolescent brain development - so how is that 'insulting' (sic)? Not only is she an adolescent - she also has aspergers.

There is intelligence and full cognitive development - basic biology indicates that the two do not nescesssrily develop consecutively.
    but that she is certainly competent enough to be in control of what has happened to her over the last 12 months

Tbh I am fairly astounded that anyone can make such a glib subjective judgement of an adolescent regarding competency and 'being in control'.

Tbh It remains bizarre that some are so adamant In their support of her sailing across the Atlantic in a racing boat to attend a conference during hurricane season...

Of note one of the entourage sailing with Greta is a documentary filmmaker named Nathan Grossman - who is there to film the next PR episode of this dog and pony show ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That being said, Greta wouldn’t have captured the public consciousness had it not been for the adults I do agree with you she has attracted to herself who are enabling her to do what she’s doing and while Greta herself is making no money from her endeavours, the people involved with her certainly are -

One thing we can agree on is that you never have to look too far to find opportunists.

See US ambassador to Kenya who posted a picture to his twitter account of two fine young Kenyans, whose applications for visa's to visit america were denied.

https://twitter.com/USAmbKenya/status/1143895000121585666

Or the president of the US who posed for a picture after the El Paso shooting of himself and his wife with a baby like it was a campaign photo except the baby had been brought from hospital for the picture after having lost both their parents in the shooting.

Or a million other examples.

But, that does not mean, that the majority of those working with Greta are as self serving. Not even close.

• Advertisement

I presume the crew are capable :)
    Again I've sponsored cycles were they didn't cycle back - it's nothing unique to this.
    I just found the backlash strange as it's quite a common concept for me when it comes to impractical projects to raise awareness.

It depends what you are raising awareness of I think.
    If your return flight directly contradicts the purpose of your outward journey leg... then it is self defeating hypocrisy.

It would be like a charity cycle in aid of AA that culminates in a p*ss up when first leg complete.

gozunda wrote: »
    And you know better than experts - exactly how? Afaik It's a fairly well known phenomenon of adolescent brain development - so how is that 'insulting' (sic)? Not only is she an adolescent - she also has aspergers.

There is intelligence and full cognitive development - basic biology indicates that the two do not nescesssrily develop consecutively.

Tbh I am fairly astounded that anyone can make such a glib subjective judgement regarding an adolescent regarding competency and 'being in control'.

Tbh It remains bizarre that some are so adamant In their support of her sailing across the Atlantic in a racing boat to attend a conference during hurricane season...

Of note one of the entourage sailing with Greta is a documentary filmmaker named Nathan Grossman - who is there to film the next PR episode of this dog and pony show ...

Maybe if you listened to Greta when she speaks on camera in interviews, you might realise her cognitive strengths instead of expressing outrage over what you deem to be glib statements while packing your post with same.

This faux outrage is tiring.

It would be like a charity cycle in aid of AA that culminates in a p*ss up

Ha I imagine this has happened :)

Maybe if you listened to Greta when she speaks on camera in interviews, you might realise her cognitive strengths instead of expressing outrage over what you deem to be glib statements while packing your post with same.
    This faux outrage is tiring.

The whole Greta circus is based on faux outrage.
    This whole enterprise has generated more emissions than an average citizen will in a lifetime.
    Her handlers should be in jail for abuse.
    She should never have been put on a racing yacht in the Atlantic in hurricane season with no sailing xp.
    Anyone who puts her in that position doesnt give two hoots about her or the planet the rest of us live on.

Maybe if you listened to Greta when she speaks on camera in interviews, you might realise her cognitive strengths instead of expressing outrage over what you deem to be glib statements while packing your post with same. This faux outrage is tiring.

I have watched a bunch of the videos - where she speaks without scripted lines - she comes across in speech etc much like many other youngsters I've listened to public speaking etc. The scripted ones where her father / others have had a hand are quite something else. It's not 'outrage' (sic) to highlight that you appear to claim better knowledge than development experts.

The continued support of this type of illogical stance is truely bizarre.

• Advertisement

Just looking at videos of the yacht. Pretty impressive feat to get across the Atlantic on such a vessel isn't it? personally I'd need a cruise ship with some pools to pass the two weeks :)

This whole enterprise has generated more emissions than an average citizen will in a lifetime.
    She should never have been put on a racing yacht in the Atlantic in hurricane season with no sailing xp.
    Anyone who puts her in that position doesnt give two hoots about her or the planet the rest of us live on.

Send that to Daily Mail or Spectator and you might end up with a job out of it.

Just the right amount of empty statements with the barely concealed vitriol behind it.

Just looking at videos of the yacht. Pretty impressive feat to get across the Atlantic on such a vessel isn't it? personally I'd need a cruise ship with some pools to pass the two weeks :)

I don't know looks just perfect for a two week stay...

3874s5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

One thing we can agree on is that you never have to look too far to find opportunists.

Or a million other examples.

But, that does not mean, that the majority of those working with Greta are as self serving. Not even close.

They are serving themselves though because they wouldn’t be where they are either nor would they have the opportunities they have now without Greta. They have to keep Greta going in order to keep gaining from the movement themselves. I think we’re all aware that Greta isn’t going to stop and that’s exactly what they’re banking on too - politicians are getting great exposure from the whole thing too looking like they give a damn about the environment by fawning over Greta and pretending to be interested in anything she has to say.

It’s all genuinely a bit transparent, and it’s unfortunate that a child is being put in that position, and anyone who is critical of the child being put in that position is condemned because nobody wants that golden goose to be slated. The irony of it is that rallying against climate change and capitalism has become a very profitable industry full of opportunities to make money.

Are politicians supposed to take this seriously or something?

The teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg has chided EU leaders for holding three emergency summits on Brexit and none on the threat posed by climate change.

In a clarion call to Europe’s political leaders ahead of European parliament elections in May, the founder of the school strike movement said if politicians were serious about tackling climate change they would not spend all their time “talking about taxes or Brexit”.

Forget Brexit and focus on climate change, Greta Thunberg tells EU

I don’t think Greta understands either the science, nor the economics of what she’s talking about, and her interests would be best served by being encouraged to go back to school when the term starts and focus on her studies. Then when she’s older she can engage in all the activism she wants when she has a better understanding of the issues involved herself and isn’t just taking her cues from the adults around her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The latest news is that 5 new crew members are taking a flight to NY to sail the boat home.

I don’t think Greta understands either the science, nor the economics of what she’s talking about, and her interests would be best served by being encouraged to go back to school when the term starts and focus on her studies. Then when she’s older she can engage in all the activism she wants when she has a better understanding of the issues involved herself and isn’t just taking her cues from the adults around her.

I don't think you understand how Greta has helped to drawn attention to the need for action in this space since she started. (Don't say we knew about it already, we did, but were giving in piecemeal attention as the situation escalated)

It's insulting to suggest she needs to wait until she's older when time is such a critical element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Climate change is a fact and always has been. The real conspiracy theory is catastrophic anthropogenic global warming (CAGW), a theory that activists have not been able to prove scientifically or use to make reliable predictions especially with regard to temperate levels, weather patterns or sea levels.
    The constant predictions of doom by activists have never materialised in the decades they have been pushing their agendas.

One consequence that is measurable though are the taxes collected and the increased costs of energy which works its way into everything we do and has become a wealth redistribution exercise from less well off to those vested interests that gain financially due to the promulgation of the CAGW conspiracy theory.

Jaysus. I'm going to trust the thousand upon thousands of scientists. Thanks.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Your ma

Where did you copy and paste that post though?.

I feel legitimately sorry for her, she's being exploited and yet she doesn't know that. This modern day version of the Children's Crusade is distasteful and it's distressing that a confused young life is being messed up by parents and other adults who ought to know and do better Its sad to see an autistic 16 year old become some Green poster girl so her parents can rake in the money. Hopefully once her 15 minutes of fame are up she may be able to move onto something better with her life.

That is insulting to anyone reading this intelligence. Are are you really comparing the child crusades to this?. Wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Greta is receiving ferocious criticism, which means a nerve has been struck. The personal attacks from some quarters highlighting her autism are unwarranted. I don't doubt her sincerity for a minute. Good luck to the young woman.

The brave men attacking a child is deplorable. Bo doubt she's achieved at 16 is more than what her detractors will do in their sad, sordid lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't think you understand how Greta has helped to drawn attention to the need for action in this space since she started. (Don't say we knew about it already, we did, but were giving in piecemeal attention as the situation escalated)

It's insulting to suggest she needs to wait until she's older when time is such a critical element.
    There is that concept of world knowledge she just can't have at that age(Look at what I'd tell my teenage self thread for evidence of it!). Piecemeal is also part of it, in thousands of different little ways because it is actually being done. Every day some small change emerges and it all helps. I also think you're insulting a lot of people if you imagine nobody ever talked about or knew about it before this child appeared.
    As for her comments on Brexit it has the potential to immediately affect an awful lot of people. A lot of adults would be quite concerned if the EU weren't talking about Brexit all the time- but it doesn't mean other things have been discarded.

When is Ireland going to warm up.

That is insulting to anyone reading this intelligence. Are are you really comparing the child crusades to this?. Wtf.
    Well, if you're a Guardian reader she has been the anointed one for some time!

is_that_so wrote: »
    Well, if you're a Guardian reader she has been the anointed one for some time!

If you actually read the guardian you'd know 99% of articles about man made climate change don't mention her and have nothing to do with her.

I suppose you wouldn't know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The brave men attacking a child is deplorable. Bo doubt she's achieved at 16 is more than what her detractors will do in their sad, sordid lives.

https://media3.giphy.com/media/WceJhr8WHsz1C/giphy.gif

If you actually read the guardian you'd know 99% of articles about man made climate change don't mention her and have nothing to do with her.

I suppose you wouldn't know that though.
    Nah , been a reader a very long time. All very OTT on it these days IMO - a veritable crusade. But it's been that way for a while on a whole lot of "current issues". Still a good quality paper though.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There is that concept of world knowledge she just can't have at that age(Look at what I'd tell my teenage self thread for evidence of it!). Piecemeal is also part of it, in thousands of different little ways because it is actually being done. Every day some small change emerges and it all helps. I also think you're insulting a lot of people if you imagine nobody ever talked about or knew about it before this child appeared.
    As for her comments on Brexit it has the potential to immediately affect an awful lot of people. A lot of adults would be quite concerned if the EU weren't talking about Brexit all the time- but it doesn't mean other things have been discarded.

Any changes which have emerged only are slowing down the rate at which the problem is getting worse.

Say you fly tipped all your household rubbish, picking up a tayto bag and tin of coke as you walked your dog wouldn't negate that.

In the greater scheme of things, the impact of climate upheaval will be greater than Brexit (crazy and frightening as that is for many).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

When is Ireland going to warm up.

Sooner the better. Although scientists told us that if we didn't change our ways we would all be underwater by the year 2000.

Il be dead by 2070 give or take unless I die early. But I'd like to see the planet go with me.

Any changes which have emerged only are slowing down the rate at which the problem is getting worse.

Say you fly tipped all your household rubbish, picking up a tayto bag and tin of coke as you walked your dog wouldn't negate that.

In the greater scheme of things, the impact of climate upheaval will be greater than Brexit (crazy and frightening as that is for many).
    These are absolutely absurd examples and I'd suggest you read more about the potential instant effect of Brexit. If you're really comparing them you are not living in the real world at all. You do seem to be an all or nothing proponent. I saw three good ideas this week which have been implemented. That to me is a good thing and at the risk of repeating myself these things take time but they are happening all around us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Jaysus. I'm going to trust the thousand upon thousands of scientists. Thanks.

That is a lie. Your beliefs like most others revolve around the headlines that promote the catastrophic anthropogenic global warming conspiracy theory. If you understood the science behind the concept of greenhouse gases you could explain the physics and chemistry behind the science and what the bounds are, the uncertainties and knowing that you would be a lot less certain and a lot more cautious.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement