Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,705 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Much like countries with vast fossil fuel reserves must give it up, we have to end our farming.

It's not as simple as that. It's about finding the right way to be as efficient and sustainable with the resources we have.
    But suggesting countries with oil just stop using it immediately, or we stop farming immediately is completely unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Much like countries with vast fossil fuel reserves must give it up, we have to end our farming.
    The food sector has a turnover of nearly €30bn, provides about 10% of the employment in the weakest economic regions and and exports to 180 countries so you're going to have to come up with a much better plan than this and your crusade to "rewild" most of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

We cannot end farming without ending the vast majority of humans. Within reason most countries need to be self sufficient food wise. That is better for the environment and better for the long term sustainability of the individual countries. Of course the structure of farming in each country needs to be looked at.

jackboy wrote: »
    We cannot end farming without ending the vast majority of humans. Within reason most countries need to be self sufficient food wise. That is better for the environment and better for the long term sustainability of the individual countries. Of course the structure of farming in each country needs to be looked at.

I agree on this part, people should become familiar with food seasons and recognize that availability is dependent on the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭endainoz

It's the methods that need to change not farming entirely.

• Advertisement

What on earth makes you think we will reduce the number of cattle in Ireland? No politician would ever dare suggest this.

That's literally a condition of joining the BEAM scheme, to reduce numbers, you constantly moan on boards about farmers yet you really have no idea what your on about most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

endainoz wrote: »
    That's literally a condition of joining the BEAM scheme, to reduce numbers, you constantly moan on boards about farmers yet you really have no idea what your on about most of the time.

I haven't heard of this scheme. Is it a scheme to reduce number of cattle in Ireland?
    To be accepted in the scheme, applicant farmers must commit to reducing the level of bovine livestock manure nitrogen per farm by 5%.

Does that translate to less cows?

I haven't heard of this scheme. Is it a scheme to reduce number of cattle in Ireland?

Essentially, Yes.

Annex 3

But by 5% which is not exactly wiping out the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I know. We need more trees, wildlife and all that. Less of a meat diet and cheaper South American meat should kill off our cattle industry and I think that's good.

So you think it's ok to kill off the Amazon by importing their cattle? You do know its cheaper because its reared with few if any environmental or ethical standards yeah? I suppose you'd be happy to buy whatever food you eat from countries with the same and who also use slave labour so some can have 'cheaper food' Lol.

Dont know about you but I'm going continue to eat food produced in this county. A country which is already one of the world’s most efficient food producers, in terms of carbon footprint per unit of output...

Your ignorance has no bounds obviously....

If you can figure that out, I've clearly given you more credit than you deserve.

• Advertisement

Your ignorance has no bounds obviously....

If you can figure that out, I've clearly given you more credit than you deserve.

Touchy. Your dad a farmer?

Touchy. Your dad a farmer?

Not worth responding to an ignorant question.

But I'm an organic farmer myself if you'd like to be educated on the subject.

But I'm an organic farmer myself if you'd like to be educated on the subject.

Im always open to learning. Are you in Oz? I hear its a scorcher today.

Im always open to learning. Are you in Oz? I hear its a scorcher today.

Nope alas this screen name was made when I was indeed in Oz a few years ago. Highest average temperature ever recorded I believe. I don't miss that heat to be fair.

A great place to start would be the bio farm 2019 conference presentations that are now on YouTube, the keynote speaker, Dr Christine Jones is a bit of a genius.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCHBm83CrN3VVJEAIza_L4bw/playlists&ved=2ahUKEwjTvsrO37_mAhVjlFwKHQdeBPMQFjARegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw09USn_nvB9KUF29o8sO1nD

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Every time I see her she reminds me of Zed from Police Academy

I would'nt go quite that far,but,you're correct in that there is something not quite right about this entire production,and it's not merely the "incredibly aware 16 year old with insights beyond our ken".

Some of her recent pronouncements just do not sit right with me.....I suspect the GT "thing" has a ways to go yet,but it's not going to end well...no siree :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭jackboy

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Some of her recent pronouncements just do not sit right with me.....I suspect the GT "thing" has a ways to go yet,but it's not going to end well...no siree :(

They don’t sit right because a lot of them are not her pronouncements. It’s obvious from some of the language (especially on Twitter) that the words are coming from adults of certain ideologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Question: Why is it breaking world news when it is hot in Australia, when it is hot in California, when it is hot in India - but absolutely no one bats an eye when it is freezing breaking record rain and misery in Ireland?

jackboy wrote: »
    They don’t sit right because a lot of them are not her pronouncements. It’s obvious from some of the language (especially on Twitter) that the words are coming from adults of certain ideologies.

I would agree with that,however it is also quite clear that Ms Thunberg is an intelligent and singularly focused young woman.

I get a sense of a harder edge to her persona,both in spoken and visible elements.

I wonder how Ms T will mature,and what the 21,31 and 41 year old Greta will think of her own singlemindedness and anger when she looks back on it all in 2060 ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I wonder how Ms T will mature,and what the 21,31 and 41 year old Greta will think of her own singlemindedness and anger when she looks back on it all in 2060 ?

Hopefully she'll write a biography that you could buy then!

• Advertisement

The_Brood wrote: »
    Question: Why is it breaking world news when it is hot in Australia, when it is hot in California, when it is hot in India - but absolutely no one bats an eye when it is freezing breaking record rain and misery in Ireland?

Well, several threads are started on Boards to coincide with extreme weather events.

Also, the impact of events in those countries typically (and thankfully, for us) are greater than what we have experienced in Ireland thus far.

I would agree with that,however it is also quite clear that Ms Thunberg is an intelligent and singularly focused young woman.

I get a sense of a harder edge to her persona,both in spoken and visible elements.

I cannot but think that she will be immensely proud of herself and will have been thankful of the opportunities it brought her (as well as the challenges).

How many other 16 year olds have had the experiences she has had, been recognized as she has had and has had the President of the US display obvious envy of her achievements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

But isn't Planet Earth and every living thing on it going to be extinct long before Greta hits 40?

Or have all these cretinous extinction revolution 'activists' been lying to us about that too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

I am an olde'un. When I was a young teen I was into all the Greta stuff back then.

It was very popular then with big pop stars of the time even making hit records on it.

The main problem then and now is just too many people but nobody says that. I don't suppose I would be popular saying such now but to be honest I have never heard of the world supposedly being in trouble through the antics of too many whales or pandas.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Hopefully she'll write a biography that you could buy then!

I doubt that.....I'm more of a Puckoon fan myself,and by then my own three score and ten will have been well surpassed....;)

(unless perhaps she manages to save the World AND discover the secret of everlasting life as well ?)

I am an olde'un. When I was a young teen I was into all the Greta stuff back then.

It was very popular then with big pop stars of the time even making hit records on it.

The main problem then and now is just too many people but nobody says that. I don't suppose I would be popular saying such now but to be honest I have never heard of the world supposedly being in trouble through the antics of too many whales or pandas.

Good point old fellow.....I wonder could we ever reach a point of having too many Greta's ?......(figuratively of course !) :)

Yup - I can even remember the Osmonds doing it back in 1972 - long before little Greta's mummy was born!
    "Jay Osmond said, "Crazy Horses was way ahead of its time. It’s a song about ecology and the environment: those “crazy horses, smoking up the sky” are gas-guzzling cars, destroying the planet with their fumes. We shot the record sleeve in a junkyard, surrounded by big old cars."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I doubt that.....I'm more of a Puckoon fan myself,and by then my own three score and ten will have been well surpassed....;)

(unless perhaps she manages to save the World AND discover the secret of everlasting life as well ?)

Ah wasn't aware of your age. So you may never find out what you wonder, mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

171170 wrote: »
    Yup - I can even remember the Osmonds doing it back in 1972 - long before little Greta's mummy was born!

Ah there was loads.

This town aint big enough for both of us and never turn your back on mother earth by Sparks.

Burn baby burn by Hudson and Ford.

Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell.

Thin Lizzy did one but can't remember the name.

It was a big thing back then but just faded away as people woke up the next morning and the ice was still covering the car and realised the pubs were open later tonight.

• Advertisement

Never knew that Sparks single had an environmental context - but what a great guitar riff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement