Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,705 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Well I am all for something that aint gonna cost me any money.

When you have done with that, I have a house that needs painting and a whole lot of other jobs as well. Of course you can listen too me and I will show you the evidence and point out the action that is needed.

When we are done.......you find the magic money tree to buy the paint and I will hold the ladder. The Mrs will provide you will lots of coffee.

Yep. And that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

Everything has to be spoon fed to you. My post said 2018 and after the budget was published, there was a lot of commentary about nothing to further help facilitate protecting the environment. If you recall, between that and the 2019 budget, there were European elections after which Leo said there was a Green Wave and they would pay attention to it, hence the rise in 2019 budget.

Point being, as I pointed out, they had not been falling over themselves trying to introduce such taxes.

Could be that after Brexit they are going to need a whole lot of other cash as Ireland will be toast. So perhaps they are weighing up which or what name they are going to call the methods of raising the extra dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Everything has to be spoon fed to you. My post said 2018 and after the budget was published, there was a lot of commentary about nothing to further help facilitate protecting the environment. If you recall, between that and the 2019 budget, there were European elections after which Leo said there was a Green Wave and they would pay attention to it, hence the rise in 2019 budget.
    Point being, as I pointed out, they had not been falling over themselves trying to introduce such taxes.

Lol. This is what you claimed
    None of these have pushed carbon taxes, in fact, Irish government was lambasted for not bringing in carbon taxes in the 2018 budget.

Not a dicky bird that we already have carbon taxes and have had for nearly a decade. Not a dicky bird about the in increases for 2020. Nada, nothing, nowt. You got caught out again.

Sorry that doesn't suit. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Sadly 😢 I have to return to this thread once more as tis still on the go, and with ever more idiotic two and frowing arguments.
    Once more and for the last time:
    Anybody who believes in climate change and wants things to change re energy ,pollution, consumerism-
    don't waste your time here talking to non believers. Go out and set a garden, plant some trees and vote for the greens.

Could be that after Brexit they are going to need a whole lot of other cash as Ireland will be toast. So perhaps they are weighing up which or what name they are going to call the methods of raising the extra dosh.

Maybe, but we are likely going to get a chance to vote for them early enough in the new year.

Remember, the Greens definitely want to help the environment, FF and FG are being accused of wanting to tax, tax, tax as you say, so, maybe AAA or PBP or SF will have candidates to your liking.

Remember, in a democracy, we get the government the society wants.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but we are likely going to get a chance to vote for them early enough in the new year.

???? What do you mean?

lalababa wrote: »
    Sadly �� I have to return to this thread once more as tis still on the go, and with ever more idiotic two and frowing arguments.
    Anybody who believes in climate change and wants things to change re energy ,pollution, consumerism-
    don't waste your time here talking to non believers. Go out and set a garden, plant some trees and vote for the greens.

You're not completely wrong.

But, speaking for myself, I am here, as I have no wish to leave it to appear that everyone on Boards is against the message that action is needed.

It is painful to read (no great joy to be contributing to it) but I'd rather this than page after page with just the same voices saying the same (usually negative) message.

???? What do you mean?

It is likely there is going to be a general election in Ireland early in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

I agree. But, all this talk of tax is making it easy for a prospective government to introduce it as the general public are walking around (it seems) just waiting for it to happen.

It would be much better to provide incentives to change behaviour (extend bike to work scheme to give a tax credit if your company is signed up and can prove people are using it or whatever).

If we had a society that wanted to see change, it would happen much much faster and less painfully, that is why I support Greta, she is trying to get people to realise that change is needed, and we can help direct that change.

But, people are making it easy for a government to eventually (because time is running out) turn around and say 'Well, people won't change their behaviour so we have to penalise them' and then it is said that the whole thing was to make money.
    The problem in addition is, the people who have grasped and are convinced by the climate science, haven't wrestled with the problems in economic practice yet - and aren't providing the answers, needed to get us on the path towards climate solutions.

It's not specifically a lack of solutions that people have - it would be unreasonable/impossible to expect people to immediately outline a complete solution to to the climate problem, as it's widely acknowledged that a lot needs to be done to get there - it's that people don't have answers as to how to get us on the path towards those solutions, and more important at the right scale (as it's no use being on the right path, if the scale will take 100+ years to resolve what needs fixing in 10-30 years).

So, lots of people have figured out the climate issues, and can easily debunk the 'skeptics' - but the problem now is, if you considered the field of economics to be analogous to the field of climate science - economics is presently dominated not just by 'skeptics', but is as if it's a field run and taught by ExxonMobil's, where all the teaching and job opportunities are based upon conforming to a narrow view not compatible with resolving climate change, and that narrow view is presently the consensus.

It's not a perfect analogy, but that is roughly the problem we face - and we need the people who have perfected debunking the climate 'skeptics', to be able to understand what is wrong with economics, and to be able to debunk bad economics, and advocate the necessary economic policies needed for arresting climate change.

Unfortunately, we are absolutely nowhere near putting economic policy on the path towards resolving climate change - and it will not happen, until we get the same watershed on public awareness of the problems in economics, that we have gotten recently on climate change.

gozunda wrote: »
    Lol. This is what you claimed

Not a dicky bird that we already have carbon taxes and have had for nearly a decade. Not a dicky bird about the in increases for 2020. Nada, nothing, nowt. You got caught out again.

Sorry that doesn't suit. ;)

Do you see any difference between 'having a tax' and 'pushing that tax forcefully' as has been suggested here?

They have ample opportunity to be aggressive with taxes, and haven't done it so the argument that this whole thing is an excuse to introduce tax doesn't wash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Maybe, but we are likely going to get a chance to vote for them early enough in the new year. Remember, the Greens definitely want to help the environment, FF and FG are being accused of wanting to tax, tax, tax as you say, so, maybe AAA or PBP or SF will have candidates to your liking. Remember, in a democracy, we get the government the society wants.

The greens want to reintroduce wolves and double the population....

Two quotes on democracy I've always liked ..

"The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid."

"Democracy is the theory that people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard"

It is likely there is going to be a general election in Ireland early in 2020.

Oh I see I thought you meant Brexit. But they will be gone by then and the sh**e will have hit the fan.

What you was posting to the other poster........

I have heard all the environment stuff before on at least 2 other occasions.

I don't doubt there is a problem even though the evidence hasnt been really displayed.

But the real problem is people. Taxing them to solve a problem which will keep getting worse because there is an ever increasing number of people........is like stopping to blow your tyre up and not fixing the puncture.

First thing you have to do is stop the people who want to make money out of it getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Love this.

“ Please don’t try to blame me for climate change
    Daily Mail5 Aug 2019
    AS A dairy cow, I feel much maligned by misconceptions concerning my contribution to climate change. Plants and trees are nature’s way of dealing with carbon emissions, but this process produces cellulose, a carbohydrate you humans are unable to digest. However, I love to eat it and I convert it into milk and beef, which you enjoy as part of your balanced diet. I do apologise for the methane I produce, but have your scientists told you that this breaks down naturally and is reabsorbed by plants, thus completing a natural cycle? Because of better breeding, I produce more milk and meat than my grandparents did, so fewer cows are needed, hence our carbon footprint has actually decreased. I do wish you humans would acknowledge that 80 per cent of greenhouse gasses come from the fossil fuel-consuming industries, which include factories producing processed soya, almond and other somewhat artificial drinks masquerading as milk! PURESNOW, c/o NICK HEBDITCH, Chard, Somerset.
    https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20190805/282741998418890

Nice to see the far right showing concern about climate change. Will the Daily Mail be promoting the Green Party next time out?

feargale wrote: »
    Nice to see the far right showing concern about climate change. Will the Daily Mail be promoting the Green Party next time out?

When you use any terms like 'far right' you lose all credibility in your argument because it gives the impression as being some kind of Nazi.

All the Daily Mail does is offer an alternative to 'Lefty' newspapers and doesnt promote skin head thugs or Nazis.

Whereas the 'Left' is associated with Antifa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

lalababa wrote: »
    Sadly 😢 I have to return to this thread once more as tis still on the go, and with ever more idiotic two and frowing arguments.

Yes, don’t bother with the “non-believers”. The climate gods will strike them down. Us believers will be living in paradise one the non-believers are vanquished.

Sounds awfully familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Remember, the Greens definitely want to help the environment, FF and FG are being accused of wanting to tax, tax, tax as you say, so, maybe AAA or PBP or SF will have candidates to your liking.

Remember, in a democracy, we get the government the society wants.

We? You’re not even living in Ireland, or Europe for that matter. Yet you want Ireland to pay more taxes, do this and that.

How about you focus on your adopted country, the United States of America. The US can make way more of an impact than a small island of 5M people.

Get on to your President Trump, tell him how you feel.

Your posts are typical of the Greta cult, do as I say, don’t do as I do and as long as it doesn’t affect me personally I’ll push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

feargale wrote: »
    Most people are decent enough and getting on with their lives and some may have opinions that don't suit your own world view. That's called life.

While the internet may bask in wild extremes the real world does not. Do you even know what a far right person looks like or is it just something you splutter when you've nothing else to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

When are his clinic opening hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But, speaking for myself, I am here, as I have no wish to leave it to appear that everyone on Boards is against the message that action is needed.

It is painful to read (no great joy to be contributing to it) but I'd rather this than page after page with just the same voices saying the same (usually negative) message.

I really admire your persistence against certain posters, I can barely read this thread without being knackered

We? You’re not even living in Ireland, or Europe for that matter. Yet you want Ireland to pay more taxes, do this and that.

How about you focus on your adopted country, the United States of America. The US can make way more of an impact than a small island of 5M people.

Your posts are typical of the Greta cult, do as I say, don’t do as I do and as long as it doesn’t affect me personally I’ll push it.

Just because I'm living in the US at the moment doesn't mean it's my 'adopted country'. You do realise people often move abroad for a period and then return? Or maybe you've never done so yourself.

Also, where did I say I want Ireland to pay more taxes?

You're posts are pretty typical also .
    Type first, think later. If at all. Usually not.

• Advertisement

I really admire your persistence against certain posters, I can barely read this thread without being knackered

I'd say this thread must hold a record on Boards of having people click in to it, read a bit, think 'FFS' and click out again without posting.

Just because I'm living in the US at the moment doesn't mean it's my 'adopted country'. You do realise people often move abroad for a period and then return? Or maybe you've never done so yourself.

Also, where did I say I want Ireland to pay more taxes?

You're posts are pretty typical also .
    Type first, think later. If at all. Usually not.

You can’t even remember what you post now?

You wanted to implement a €1 tax on single use bottles, something that I don’t disagree with btw, but such a tax wouldn’t effect you as you’re living in the US.

Adopted country:

2 someone’s adopted country is the country they have chosen to live in and not the one they were born in

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/adopted

You wanted to implement a €1 tax on single use bottles, something that I don’t disagree with btw, but such a tax wouldn’t effect you as you’re living in the US.

I do!.........There is absolutely no benefit to using plastic for bottles over glass or other whatsoever. Plastic bottles are a very modern thing less than 40 years.

Plastic packaging is obscene and again no reason to use it in most cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Greta's latest boat trip was on board a yacht owned by a multimillionaire who made his fortune from oil rigs and mining, hardly environmentally friendly, surely that's the sort of thing that she's against? That aspect wasn't really picked up on by the media. They glossed over her first yacht trip being aboard a yacht owned by a Rothschild who travels the world following Formula 1 not exactly environmentally friendly either. She could have caught a flight with a parent and that way there would have been no need for the crew to have to catch flights back home and for a fresh crew to fly out to sail the boat back home.

She's also been photographed with Leonardo Di Caprio, somehow I doubt that she's been lecturing him on his use of his personal jet. I think that it's more likely that Greta has a fear of flying and that is the reason that she refuses to fly and zero to do with environmental reasons.

Adopted country:

2 someone’s adopted country is the country they have chosen to live in and not the one they were born in

https://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/adopted

A - I suggested what could be done in a specific response to a question asking for ideas.

B - I forgot that everyone who goes to Lanzarote immediately registers to vote and brushes up on local politics as soon as they get off the plane.

A - I suggested what could be done in a specific response to a question asking for ideas.

B - I forgot that everyone who goes to Lanzarote immediately registers to vote and brushes up on local politics as soon as they get off the plane.

Jesus, do really not understand the difference between going on holidays somewhere and moving to live somewhere? Really?

Jesus, do really not understand the difference between going on holidays somewhere and moving to live somewhere? Really?

3 Questions.

1 - So, what is the cut off time after which you think someone should have no opinion on what happens in their home country or not?

2 - And how long before they return before they can start having an opinion on such matters?

3 - Do you think you know more about my circumstance than I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

So if you suddenly decided not to contribute to this thread it would give the appearance that everyone is against her message? Maybe you're just focused on your own petty battles but if you look around the thread there is lots of great content from pro-Greta posters. Don't worry i'm sure her positive message would continue on boards.ie with or without you. ;)

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    So if you suddenly decided not to contribute to this thread it would give the appearance that everyone is against her message? Maybe you're just focused on your own petty battles but if you look around the thread there is lots of great content from pro-Greta posters. Don't worry i'm sure her positive message would continue on boards.ie with or without you. ;)

Maybe, you could be right.
    But there's no time to wait to find out. We only have 10 years, 10 days, 15 hours (depending on location) in which to act. ;);)

(I'm joking, before everyone piles in with I can't believe he's talking about the world ending in 2030 :mad::mad::mad:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Maybe, you could be right.
    But there's no time to wait to find out. We only have 10 years, 10 days, 15 hours (depending on location) in which to act. ;);)

(I'm joking, before everyone piles in with I can't believe he's talking about the world ending in 2030 :mad::mad::mad:)

A light-hearted post by you? :eek:

Glad to see you can have a sense of humor. Keep up the good fight but beware of those internet trolls. Boards.ie is full of them. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement