Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

A lot of that is down to poor planning. We shouldn't be planning our societies around cars.
    Anyway Ireland is a car-centric society that doesn't like investing in public transport, so no one need worry, there's only going to be more and more cars on the roads in the coming years.

Think outside the box the roads tend to get clogged at rush-hour. Why not change the time schedules for schooling? The nature of some work is also changing with more remote working being possible via internet telephony, provide the tax incentive to offer that to workers it will take more traffic from the roads.

One side effect may be reduced employment as all the number of coffee shops that serve the commuters are reduced.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

How do you know we're at peak ownership? I think I read the other day that the N11 through Glen of the Dowds or Downs or whatever in Wicklow had 20,000 cars a day going through it 10 years ago, and now it has 50,000 on average. I would have thought ownership will continue to soar as prosperity increases.

falling car sales and young people not driving has been a massive issue for the industry for years now :

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/we-may-have-reached-peak-car-as-young-people-turn-away-from-driving-1.4075886

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jan/26/sad-news-fewer-teenagers-learning-drive-empowerment
    The sad news is that the generation below me is missing out on this joy. A Department for Transport report has found that driving has declined dramatically over the past 20 years. While just under half of 17- to 20-year-olds had licences in 1992-4, that figure was 29% by 2014. And the number of 21- to 29-year-olds with licences also decreased, from 75% to 63%.

Academics from the University of Oxford and UWE Bristol believe the reasons range from financial hardship and the cost of keeping a car, to the delayed adulthood on gen Y and Z, and, most worryingly of all, the rise of digital communication beginning to replace face-to-face interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It seems to me traffic in Dublin now is worse than ever though

It seems to me traffic in Dublin now is worse than ever though

dublins under a road diet program, its designed to make it get worse to make people stop using the car and go to alternatives, the only issue....they forgot to put the alternatives in place....

It seems like that article in the Irish times is based on other countries anyway, and is coming from someone trying to promote sustainable living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

gozunda wrote: »
    So you are taking a research report and putting your personal spin over it?

The bolded bit about concrete is a good case in point. Cement the key ingredient in concrete
    And it is estimated elsewhere that "Cement is the source of about 8% of the world's carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions" in contrast to the 2% claimed for combined cement and concrete manufacture in that report btw.

"If the cement industry were a country, it would be the third largest emitter in the world - behind China and the US. ..."

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46455844

And please note it's not the energy requirements arising from manufacture and transport (approx10% of emissions from the sector) - but rather the chemical process itself where the principle constituent - limestone (calcium carbonate) undergoes a chemical reaction resulting in large emissions of CO2 - amounting to approx 90% of the CO2 released

And its completely incorrect to try and claim "switching to renewables to produce the concrete would reduce this" (your words not contained in the report)

And note none of that "is ideological and political. It is simply basic science
    It's quoted directly from the article - I didn't state anyting that the article didn't - you're mistaking the indented text from the article, as being my words.
    Wilfully so - as it's pretty blindingly obvious, especially with the '...' editing out of most of the text - that it's not my words.

The article is concerned with a Green New Deal style infrastructure project - obviously when evaluating that projects use of cement, you only count that projects use of cement, not the entire economies use of it...

the average age of a new car buyer in the states is now 53 years old, its getting older, people under 25 now just arent learning to drive in sustainable numbers, what youre experiencing now with traffic and driving is that the youngest of the baby boomer generation are now 55 years old, they'll be off the road in 20 years, gen x arent driving as much and even still theyre the ones driving economy car sales and will go electric, millenials and gen z arent driving, under 70% of millenials hold licences and its predicted under 60% of gen z will, youre looking at a bleak future where more than half the drivers we have are off the road in 30 years time.

youre looking at a bleak future where more than half the drivers we have are off the road in 30 years time.

Sounds great to me, I hope you're right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Page 3 of this report shows that all Representative Concentration Pathway models above RPC 2.6 (which assumes carbon emissions have already peaked i.e. by 2020) - have the potential for warming of 2C or more.

Unless carbon emissions level out in 2 days, we can discard the 2.6 model - leaving only models which include 2C as a potential outcome by 2100.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

KyussB wrote: »
    It's quoted directly from the article - I didn't state anyting that the article didn't - you're mistaking the indented text from the article, as being my words.
    Wilfully so - as it's pretty blindingly obvious, especially with the '...' editing out of most of the text - that it's not my words....

KyussB - I challenge you to find the words
    "switching to renewables to produce the concrete would reduce this" as included in your comments about concrete - in the article to you linked

https://www.cell.com/one-earth/fulltext/S2590-3322%2819%2930225-8

It's not there - so it's safe to assume they are you own words no or from elsewhere? Eitherway they are incorrect and have little relevance to reducing CO2 emissions with regard to concrete / cement or steel manufacture.

That sentence is not contained in the article either regarding concrete manufacture nor anything else!
    KyussB wrote:
    The article is concerned with a Green New Deal style infrastructure project - obviously when evaluating that projects use of cement, you only count that projects use of cement, not the entire economies use of it...

No! You surprise me! More GND stuff not based on reality? Those projects are certainly in doubt when the accuracy of the figures provided are also seriously in doubt - especially where a combined figure of just 2% CO2 emissions are given for the combined concrete and steel sectors global CO2 emissions
    - well below other published figures for these industries.

https://qz.com/1748561/%E2%80%A8reducing-cements-carbon-footprint-is-critical-to-climate-fight/

https://www.sei.org/perspectives/low-emission-steel-production-hybrit/

• Advertisement

Itll be fine for me as traffic willjust get lighter and ill drive big filthy petrol/diesel cars till the day I die, your posts come accross as jealous of car owners more thsn anything. but Id suggest you get a driving licence and a car, give it a go. Itsa load of fun

• Registered Users Posts: 7,716 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Great - lets go back to the horse and cart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Itll be fine for me as traffic willjust get lighter and ill drive big filthy petrol/diesel cars till the day I die, your posts come accross as jealous of car owners more thsn anything. but Id suggest you get a driving licence and a car, give it a go. Itsa load of fun

Your post comes across as you need to fulfil your lack of testosterone through driving "big filthy petrol/diesel" as a front to mask your shortage of testosterone.

I am a car enthusiast but my priority is also to strike a balance of sustainability and caring for our planet.

That's why I cycle most of the time and bought a used Leaf for commutes, while my treat of a Porsche/ Mustang is restricted for pleasures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Michael Moore-backed Doc, ‘Planet of the Humans,’ Tackles ‘False Promises’ of Green Energy
    The film, which does not yet have distribution, is a low-budget but piercing examination of what the filmmakers say are the false promises of the environmental movement and why we’re still “addicted” to fossil fuels. Director Jeff Gibbs takes on electric cars, solar panels, windmills, biomass, biofuel, leading environmentalist groups like the Sierra Club, and even figures from Al Gore and Van Jones, who served as Barack Obama’s special adviser for green jobs, to 350.org leader Bill McKibben, a leading environmentalist and advocate for grassroots climate change movements.

Gibbs, who produced Moore’s Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11, didn’t set out to take on the environmental movement. He said he wanted to know why things weren’t getting better. But when he started pulling on the thread, he and Moore said they were shocked to find how inextricably entangled alternative energy is with coal and natural gas, since they say everything from wind turbines to electric car charging stations are tethered to the grid, and even how two of the Koch brothers — Charles and David — are tied to solar panel production through their glass production business.

source

Michael Moore tried to investigate what was stopping the green revolution; Moore found a dark swamp of lies and corporate greed, in the last place he expected. . . .

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KyussB - I challenge you to find the words
    "switching to renewables to produce the concrete would reduce this" as included in your comments about concrete - in the article to you linked
    It is quite clearly there and I really cannot understand why you are making this point.

I am copying and pasting this paragraph directly from the linked article, rather than KryssB's post
    Building the infrastructure necessary for this transition would, of course, create CO2 emissions. The researchers calculated that the necessary steel and concrete would require about 0.914 percent of current CO2 emissions. But switching to renewables to produce the concrete would reduce this.
    Keep up this sort of debate and you will once again find yourself banned from the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

afaik boards doesn't take that lightly ...

Nope. And the mods really keep on top of everything to be fair to them.

I must get around to this later. Always enjoyed Attenborough.

For others who missed it:

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1211396285107986438

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Did she take the train or the ferry this time? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Attenborough and his fictional stories about walruses, nothing enjoyable about that.

Did she take the train or the ferry this time? :D

To where?

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Attenborough and his fictional stories about walruses, nothing enjoyable about that.

Ah no I missed that. What was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

To where?
    Do you not remember the so-called "spat" with DB? Don't think there was a ferry though as you can go all the way to Sweden by train.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do you not remember the so-called "spat" with DB? Don't think there was a ferry though as you can go all the way to Sweden by train.

I'm lost!

What ferry?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Should be good for a laugh eitherway tbh.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Your post comes across as you need to fulfil your lack of testosterone through driving "big filthy petrol/diesel" as a front to mask your shortage of testosterone.

I am a car enthusiast but my priority is also to strike a balance of sustainability and caring for our planet.

That's why I cycle most of the time and bought a used Leaf for commutes, while my treat of a Porsche/ Mustang is restricted for pleasures.

Why is it when theres an insult to be thrown at car owners/enthusiasts that a pushbike is always that users method of choice :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'm lost!

What ferry?

She was guest hosting the 'Today' programme on BBC Radio 4- presumably she wasn't doing it remotely, and had to actually turn up in the BBC Studio to do so- which would entail a quick turn-around from Day 71 of her school strike outside Parliament last Friday- and travelling over the weekend to get to the studio for this morning's programme...……..

Actually- doing it in 2 days without flying- is quite an achievement- rather her than me.

Why is it when theres an insult to be thrown at car owners/enthusiasts that a pushbike is always that users method of choice :pac:

Why is it that people that don't believe in climate change hate cyclists?

2QFaC_mu_400x400.jpg

Why is it that people that don't believe in climate change hate cyclists?

I believe in climate change and hate cyclists. I just dont believe in taxation as a solution or any solution that doesnt require asia africa and south america to pull the majority of the weight going forward.

And I dont support the idea of corporate interests paying for a 16 year old autistic girl to preach white centric tax focussed solutions at me.

2QFaC_mu_400x400.jpg

That graph is incredibly classist, its basically “working class people hate bikes” I know cycling has become the new penchant for upper middle class suburb dwellers but thats really very snobby.

• Advertisement

I believe in climate change and hate cyclists. I just dont believe in taxation as a solution or any solution that doesnt require asia africa and south america to pull the majority of the weight going forward.

And I dont support the idea of corporate interests paying for a 16 year old autistic girl to preach white centric tax focussed solutions at me.

The taxes are coming Eric, whether you like it or not :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement