Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That graph is incredibly classist, its basically “working class people hate bikes” I know cycling has become the new penchant for upper middle class suburb dwellers but thats really very snobby.

I only posted it for the red part as im probably a thick sweary football fan myself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

She was guest hosting the 'Today' programme on BBC Radio 4- presumably she wasn't doing it remotely, and had to actually turn up in the BBC Studio to do so- which would entail a quick turn-around from Day 71 of her school strike outside Parliament last Friday- and travelling over the weekend to get to the studio for this morning's programme...……..

Actually- doing it in 2 days without flying- is quite an achievement- rather her than me.

She did it via Skype from Stockholm apparently- one would have thought the BBC would have wanted a more robust link, but apparently it sufficed. No travel involved. The BBC have the video of the Attenborough interview online- I don't have a VPN here and am region locked out...…..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why is it that people that don't believe in climate change hate cyclists?

2QFaC_mu_400x400.jpg

So again proving the other posters point that when theres an insult to be thrown ... that a pushbike is always that users method of choice?

Well done there ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

The taxes are coming Eric, whether you like it or not :)

I look forward to Eric paying more taxes, very much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

She was guest hosting the 'Today' programme on BBC Radio 4- presumably she wasn't doing it remotely, and had to actually turn up in the BBC Studio to do so- which would entail a quick turn-around from Day 71 of her school strike outside Parliament last Friday- and travelling over the weekend to get to the studio for this morning's programme...……..

Actually- doing it in 2 days without flying- is quite an achievement- rather her than me.

So many responding to me!

Sorry I didn't realise she was in the studio. But there we go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i'm not "opposed" to bicycles, i do cycle the odd time but i'll be fecked if i'm cycling in the permanent wind and drizzle that grace this island.

I look forward to Eric paying more taxes, very much so.

Whatever you wish for others, may you yourself receive, whatever you seek, may it be fulfilled and return to you tenfold. :pac:

i'm not "opposed" to bicycles, i do cycle the odd time but i'll be fecked if i'm cycling in the permanent wind and drizzle that grace this island.

Although the last few months have been exceptionally rainy, it's rare you get a soaking really. Good for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Although the last few months have been exceptionally rainy, it's rare you get a soaking really. Good for you too.
    to my certain knowledge the last 30 odd years have been exceptionally rainy!

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    So many responding to me!

Sorry I didn't realise she was in the studio. But there we go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Aww shucks hetuzozaho - it's like I'm an inspiration. But there we go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ eh :pac:

*hugs*

• Advertisement

to my certain knowledge the last 30 odd years have been exceptionally rainy!

Well I can only speak from experience but I would only get soaked once every couple of months normally in Dublin. Then again I think Dublin is the driest part of the country. I couldn't even imagine living somewhere as rainy as Galway never mind cycling.

Well I can only speak from experience but I would only get soaked once every couple of months normally in Dublin. Then again I think Dublin is the driest part of the country.

I think when Popey was over(?), cars were banned from city centre. Was glorious getting around town. Flying down leeson st on the bus, just walking across o' connell Bridge. Heaven!

Would be great all the time but seems a long way away at the moment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think when Popey was over(?), cars were banned from city centre. Was glorious getting around town. Flying down leeson st on the bus, just walking across o' connell Bridge. Heaven!

Would be great all the time but seems a long way away at the moment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well funny thing is, when the beef farmers were in town, parts of the Southside were just lovely to walk and cycle around, no cars at all due to tractor blockages. I think a lot of beef farmers post on this thread and they're usually the ones who think climate change is a commie conspiracy and hate cyclists, some irony in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Michael Moore-backed Doc, ‘Planet of the Humans,’ Tackles ‘False Promises’ of Green Energy

Michael Moore tried to investigate what was stopping the green revolution; Moore found a dark swamp of lies and corporate greed, in the last place he expected. . . .
    Further proof that the private sector is incapable of resolving climate change - that massive government-directed projects are needed instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KyussB wrote: »
    Further proof that the private sector is incapable of resolving climate change - that massive government-directed projects are needed instead.

The usb key which had no government intervention has probably done more to prevent deforestation than any government ever has.

Energy production cannot be left in government hands , its wasteful and overly beurocratic.

Well funny thing is, when the beef farmers were in town, parts of the Southside were just lovely to walk and cycle around, no cars at all due to tractor blockages. I think a lot of beef farmers post on this thread and they're usually the ones who think climate change is a commie conspiracy and hate cyclists, some irony in there somewhere}/b].

You're a scream Thelonious. Personaly I dont hate cyclists and wasnt in Dublin btw and climate change definitely exists. Does that ruin some of those throwaway stereotypes? Though I'm not sure you know the meaning of irony ...
    But as hetuzozaho says - there we go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

The usb key which had no government intervention has probably done more to prevent deforestation than any government ever has.

Energy production cannot be left in government hands , its wasteful and overly beurocratic.
    It's off topic, but modern day computers and the Internet wouldn't exist in their present form at all without government supported institutions like NASA and CERN.

Private and public industry are symbiotic - benefting each other - not in competition with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Once again the climate alarmists want the ban things that don’t effect them.

It's off topic, but modern day computers and the Internet wouldn't exist in their present form at all without government supported institutions like NASA and CERN.

Private and public industry are symbiotic - benefting each other - not in competition with each other.

People like to pick sides I guess. Its just easier I guess!

Off topic but Trump a great example of what people will put up with to justify picking their side! (• ◡•)

I think a lot of beef farmers post on this thread and they're usually the ones who think climate change is a commie conspiracy

Ha I dunno if that is true! But could see people acting this way when it potentially effects their livelihood. Understandable IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭SaintLeibowitz

Look at Iraq and the private companies payed American tax dollars to rebuild the country. They raped the place and fleeced the American taxpayer at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,762 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1211565610590769152

David Attenborough commends Greta on showing "great bravery".

He didn't expand on the acts of bravery.

Zing.
    Kermit 1 - 0 Attenborough

Ha I dunno if that is true! But could see people acting this way when it potentially effects their livelihood. Understandable IMO.

Nah stereotyping is always a lazy argument at best. But that said - I'm sure most people whether involved in agriculture or indeed any occupation would agree that if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck then most likley its a duck ...

https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1211565610590769152

It has long been brave for a child to meet with a bbc presenter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It has long been brave for a child to meet with a bbc presenter

They didn’t actually meet, they Skyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

probably bbc company policy for interactions with girls under 18 now.

Greta must have been reading this thread then - it's been pointed out many times here that the use of software such Skype could have saved all the carbon emissions instead of traipsing across the planet.

Hope she has learned from that. That said the UKs 'National Treasure ' is said to have a net worth of approx 25 million Pounds. Not a bad gig for a TV presenter tbh. Perhaps she has some aspirations to do something similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The BBC flew someone over to interview Greta. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/28/bbc-put-presenter-on-a-plane-to-interview-greta-thunberg

How much damage has been caused to the environment because of Greta this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    The BBC flew someone over to interview Greta. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/28/bbc-put-presenter-on-a-plane-to-interview-greta-thunberg

How much damage has been caused to the environment because of Greta this year?

Some. However, cost/benefit analysis would show that the publicity that she has engendered for climate change obviously far outweighs the environmental cost of her travel. Go Greta!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement