Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Do people here realise they’re talking about a girl with Aesperger’s? Why the aggressiveness towards a young girl with a cause?! She’s just matter of fact and that’s how she sees climate change. To her it’s just nonsensical that people are actually trying to make arguments/propaganda to the contrary. She wants action now and people to stop arguing about the how&why.
    Perhaps some on this thread should reserve their aggressiveness for someone like the Australian PM who deserted his country on a private jet to Hawaii while it burned to the ground. Wants to increase coal production, under resources his fire service, which are nearly all VOLUNTEERS and unpaid, and has given the go ahead for Sydney to have its fireworks tmrw night into a wall of smoke.
    Or is the big bad male, middle aged PM not going to be subjected to the same abuse a young girl with a condition is.
    I’ve seen first hand the positive effect Greta has had on the next generation and their willingness to help the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dont bother. This thread is a just a big fest of ignorance. All they say here is that people don't know sh1t and then some made up stuff on the last ice age and the sun and China and taxes and whatnot. Basically a thousand ways to shout down anything that sounds like its outside the comfort zone with zero substance and a lot of know-it-all aggressiveness. Its one of the most pathetic threads ever and one that makes you think that everything thats coming our way in terms of environmental decline is thoroughly deserved. As a species, as a hive-mind, we're still cavemen unable to see past the next meal and the next 60 inch flat screen. Well if this thread is anything to go by we are anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

IMHO, anyone who has kids is adding to the overpopulation of the planet and destroying it. They are hypocrites for waving the climate change banner.

How dare they.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

username checks out :)

username checks out :)

If you can’t comprehend that overpopulation is the biggest threat to the environment then I suggest you read up on it. If you still can’t comprehend it then perhaps you shouldn’t comment on things you can’t understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

Carol25 wrote: »
    I’ve seen first hand the positive effect Greta has had on the next generation and their willingness to help the planet.

I have seen the exact opposite over the last couple of weeks. The scale of aggressive panic buying of junk this Christmas has been at least on par with previous years, if not worse.

Greta’s school aged so called supporters did not change their ways in general. I’m sure there were a few but I have not heard of any of these children which asked their parents to go easy on the junk this Christmas. In general they just told their parents of the junk that they expect to receive, as usual. I’m sure they will resume their interest in the climate stuff again now in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Dont bother. This thread is a just a big fest of ignorance. All they say here is that people don't know sh1t and then some made up stuff on the last ice age and the sun and China and taxes and whatnot. Basically a thousand ways to shout down anything that sounds like its outside the comfort zone with zero substance and a lot of know-it-all aggressiveness. Its one of the most pathetic threads ever and one that makes you think that everything thats coming our way in terms of environmental decline is thoroughly deserved. As a species, as a hive-mind, we're still cavemen unable to see past the next meal and the next 60 inch flat screen. Well if this thread is anything to go by we are anyway...

Someone's knickers are in a twist.

There's know it all's on both sides. People need perspective, empathy and time to reflect in order to determine how they really feel. Too many rush to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

jackboy wrote: »
    I have seen the exact opposite over the last couple of weeks. The scale of aggressive panic buying of junk this Christmas has been at least on par with previous years, if not worse.

Greta’s school aged so called supporters did not change their ways in general. I’m sure there were a few but I have not heard of any of these children which asked their parents to go easy on the junk this Christmas. In general they just told their parents of the junk that they expect to receive, as usual. I’m sure they will resume their interest in the climate stuff again now in the new year.

My daughter (14) went mad when we wouldn't let her take time off school for climate protests. For Christmas she ordered all her presents from China, all cheap disposable crap. When questioned about her decisions she doubled down with criticism of us not having an electric car. Finger pointing with no self awareness or responsibility.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    IMHO, anyone who has kids is adding to the overpopulation of the planet and destroying it. They are hypocrites for waving the climate change banner.

How dare they.
    Well you can't pin that one on me!!

All my kids are adopted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Some. However, cost/benefit analysis would show that the publicity that she has engendered for climate change obviously far outweighs the environmental cost of her travel. Go Greta!

Cost/benefit analysis? So all she is is just an accounting entry in a balance sheet to you. If its not too much trouble can you show us the balance sheet breakdown from your cost benefit analysis?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Cost/benefit analysis? So all she is is just an accounting entry in a balance sheet to you. If its not too much trouble can you show us the balance sheet breakdown from your cost benefit analysis?

Nope. I'll just say it again. A cost/benefit analysis by anyone other than a grumpy moron would show that the environmental cost of Greta's travels is far outweighed by the beneficial publicity for climate change. Go Greta!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If you can’t comprehend that overpopulation is the biggest threat to the environment then I suggest you read up on it. If you still can’t comprehend it then perhaps you shouldn’t comment on things you can’t understand.

Population is not the problem, over consumption is. I guess you're never going to accept that, but we've gone over it again and again in this thread.
    Also, no government is going to put restrictions on how many kids people can have, so it's not even worth talking about, so it's a cop out on your part.

Population is not the problem, over consumption is. I guess you're never going to accept that, but we've gone over it again and again in this thread.
    Also, no government is going to put restrictions on how many kids people can have, so it's not even worth talking about, so it's a cop out on your part.

Do you not get that more people=more consumption?

It’s a scientific fact.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Growth-consumption-of-certain-resources-vs-population-and-GDP-growth-Krausmann-et-al_fig1_313704365

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I think reducing the consumption of things bad for the environment might be possible without reducing the amount of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Some. However, cost/benefit analysis would show that the publicity that she has engendered for climate change obviously far outweighs the environmental cost of her travel. Go Greta!

Send her over to China , Pakistan, India , Saudi Arabia who are the real polluters of the world and this little brat speaks for who.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

terenc wrote: »
    Send her over to China , Pakistan, India , Saudi Arabia who are the real polluters of the world and this little brat speaks for who.

Ireland are pretty bad polluters of the world too, per capita, and all that sh*te people bought here for Xmas was produced by China, we fuel that dirty economy. She can't go everywhere, also, she'd prob be told to f*ck off by all of those countries, so there'd be no point in her going. She's doing a great job in the countries where she gets a voice though!
    Weird that you'd call her a little brat all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Itll be fine for me as traffic willjust get lighter and ill drive big filthy petrol/diesel cars till the day I die, your posts come accross as jealous of car owners more thsn anything. but Id suggest you get a driving licence and a car, give it a go. Itsa load of fun

Breaking News: Swedish Polis are investigating a horrific incident outside the Thunberg residence someplace in darkest Sweden.....somebody described as resembling Eric Cartman caused the Thunberg fambly to hit the panic button.....although on reflection it may have actually been Donegal :eek:

[url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDn_z7UVfj0 [/url]

C'mon own up,your with friends here ! :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Just heard her auld lad on Rte saying that she gave up eating until he waved a bit of vegan food in front of her and voila she started eating again and to think
    People actually buy this sh1t.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    until he waved a bit of vegan food in front of her

Nothing wrong with some decent vegan grub

:pac:

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Just heard her auld lad on Rte saying that she gave up eating until he waved a bit of vegan food in front of her and voila she started eating again and to think

That’s exactly how a child with ASD would react if they became consumed by the fixation/obsession to such a degree which does happen. Your ignorance towards people with autism/aespergers is showing, considering you feel qualified to pass such harsh judgement of her. Perhaps educate yourself on the condition you’re dealing with a little more.

• Advertisement

That’s exactly how a child with ASD would react if they became consumed by the fixation/obsession to such a degree which does happen. Your ignorance towards people with autism/aespergers is showing, considering you feel qualified to pass such harsh judgement of her. Perhaps educate yourself on the condition you’re dealing with a little more.

Why do you keep bringing up ASD when most posters, including the one you quoted, have not?

Nobody cares about her autism, it doesn’t define her.

No need for such aggression towards the poster.

Nope. I'll just say it again. A cost/benefit analysis by anyoneother than a grumpy moron would show that the environmental cost of Greta's travels is far outweighed by the beneficial publicity for climate change. Go Greta!

You said anyone? Why don't you try or are you said grumpy moron?

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

The Religion of Climatism
    For the believers, the debate is closed, and exhortation has segued into excommunication. No more catty humor, like that on display in the unforgettable bumper sticker from the 1970s: “Save the Planet! Kill yourself!” Those who reject the faith are “climate-change deniers,” as in “denying the Father and the Son” (1 John 2:23). Relate Climatism to Judeo-Christianity, and the psycho-structural analogies abound.
    <snip>
    Today, the harbingers of doom are armed with assumptions, models, and data. Melting ice will raise sea levels, swallowing coasts and islands. What the floods spare will be devastated by droughts or hurricanes. The most recent sign from up high is the darkened skies over the Amazon’s rain forests, the “lungs of the world,” which presages collective death by asphyxiation. For the first iteration of this threat, one need only go back to Revelation 6:13: “The sun became black, and the whole moon became as blood.”

source

A very good read that should give both sides of the debate pause for thought. There is nothing new in the current situation.

You said anyone? Why don't you try or are you said grumpy moron?

Nope. But you sound a bit cross. If you don't understand then you don't understand. I'll make it more simple. Yes, Greta needs to move around and that can cause some bad heat. But people are learning more about that bad heat because of her. Which is good. Sorry if you can't understand that but I don't have any smaller words. Go Greta!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Well lads, apparently science is just religion - and scientific research, projections and evidence don't matter then.

If we simply believe strongly enough that climate change isn't real, then we'll all be grand. Great, so.

KyussB wrote: »
    Well lads, apparently science is just religion - and scientific research, projections and evidence don't matter then.

If we simply believe strongly enough that climate change isn't real, then we'll all be grand. Great, so.

It's all good. Mainstream media, warmunists, science is dumb, lefty taxes, lizard people... Climate change is not happening because I don't want it to happen. It's all made up because reasons. Ignore the UN, here's a link to some nutter talking sh1te for two hours on Youtube. Ignore scientists, here's a link to some twat's blog.

Why do you keep bringing up ASD when most posters, including the one you quoted, have not?

Nobody cares about her autism, it doesn’t define her.

No need for such aggression towards the poster.

Do you mean it’s doesn’t suit the argument against her, or the uncomfortable truth that people on this thread are mocking someone with autism? Of course it doesn’t define her, but it’s part of her and so are the symptoms.
    I’m bringing it up because what her Dad described is a symptom of ASD, simple. The previous poster was implying it was all rubbish and belittled her father’s contribution to the interview.

Do you mean it’s doesn’t suit the argument against her, or the uncomfortable truth that people on this thread are mocking someone with autism? Of course it doesn’t define her, but it’s part of her and so are the symptoms.
    I’m bringing it up because what her Dad described is a symptom of ASD, simple. The previous poster was implying it was all rubbish and belittled her father’s contribution to the interview.

Your comment is kind of typical of what I see from poor parents, oh little my little Johnny has autism, that’s why he’s so bold. When really it’s crap parenting. Then all you hear is YOU DONT UNDERSTAND AUTISM.

It’s kind of typical of what I see from poor parents, oh little my little Johnny has autism, that’s why he’s so bold. When really it’s crap parenting.

Hahaha! You just can't fix stupid.

• Advertisement

Hahaha! You just can't fix stupid.

Still waiting for your cost/benefit analysis.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement