Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I see on her twitter she did her school strike on the yacht yesterday. Cool picture with the sea behind her! Fair play! She's lasted longer than I would have anyway :)

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1162342911549329409?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Where did you copy and paste that post though?.

You keep on with the dumb where did you copy and paste it from to avoid addressing the questions posed.

How has human control of the earths temperature, something that is impossible, been prioritized over ensuring that millions of humans don’t starve to death every year?

How did this happen?

You can copy my post and google search it and if you find it has been copied and pasted from anywhere I will donate a thousand euro to a charity of your choice.
    If you realise that it hasn’t been copied and pasted, that is, it is in fact original thought, all I would ask of you is to address the questions posed.

Is that fair enough or will you continue to deflect?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

And she has just updated today's position. Does anyone know is there a way to follow the position live via Google maps or something?

I followed her there now. 1million followers for some tweeting about science. Different to the kardashians anyway :)

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1162689184433418240?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I see on her twitter she did her school strike on the yacht yesterday. Cool picture with the sea behind her! Fair play! She's lasted longer than I would have anyway :)

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1162342911549329409?s=09

No crapper but she has internet.:rolleyes::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You keep on with the dumb where did you copy and paste it from to avoid addressing the questions posed.

How has human control of the earths temperature, something that is impossible, been prioritized over ensuring that millions of humans don’t starve to death every year?

How did this happen?

You can copy my post and google search it and if you find it has been copied and pasted from anywhere I will donate a thousand euro to a charity of your choice.
    If you realise that it hasn’t been copied and pasted, that is, it is in fact original thought, all I would ask of you is to address the questions posed.

Is that fair enough or will you continue to deflect?

Admit where you copy and pasted that nonsense? You didn't write it yourself.

Anyway thanks for the comedy even it was just copy and pasted from another website.

• Advertisement

No crapper but she has internet.:rolleyes::P

Yup. It's a racing yacht. Built for speed.

Some questions and answers from crew member here. Kinda cool.

https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/news/frequently-asked-questions-on-the-transat-with-greta-thunberg/

The author is a website designer and not climate expert. Hilarious.

What is your definition of expert and how does one become one?

Yup. It's a racing yacht. Built for speed.

Some questions and answers from crew member here. Kinda cool.

https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/news/frequently-asked-questions-on-the-transat-with-greta-thunberg/

Was posting in this thread yesterday and the subject of this girl having Aspergers came up.
    It has been claimed MEAN people on the internet have used this to debunk her voyage and her political message.

Firstly this is just low I think her voyage is pointless and she is being used by others to ram this carbon tax agenda nonsense down all our necks.
    The amount of resources used for this voyage and it's setup make a mockery of it.

This is a little rich girl backed by her rich family telling those of us that work our asses off we are the problem.
    Oh yes but boo hoo she has Aspergers the horror nobody better poo poo on her stand.

I have Aspergers too and given the choice of a cure or a massive lotto win I know what I would be picking.:D
    And yes I would install a big ass swimming pool and use a ton of energy heating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,702 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What is your definition of expert and how does one become one?

Qualifications and or sufficient experience working in the field. Also, to be recognized as such by your peers in the industry/space as being knowledgeable.

(Greta is not an expert in case you're waiting to respond stating that fact)

Was posting in this thread yesterday and the subject of this girl having Aspergers came up.
    It has been claimed MEAN people on the internet have used this to debunk her voyage and her political message.

Firstly this is just low I think her voyage is pointless and she is being used by others to ram this carbon tax agenda nonsense down all our necks.
    The amount of resources used for this voyage and it's setup make a mockery of it.

This is a little rich girl backed by her rich family telling those of us that work our asses off we are the problem.
    Oh yes but boo hoo she has Aspergers the horror nobody better poo poo on her stand.

I have Aspergers too and given the choice of a cure or a massive lotto win I know what I would be picking.:D
    And yes I would install the big ass swimming pool and use a ton of energy heating it.

Good stuff dude!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Greta is advancing the awareness and therefore the broader discussion in a way which is new.

If it lasts 6, 12, 18 or 24 months, it is better than the tokenism which had gone before.

The biggest impact she is likely to have had is to create awareness amongst her peers so that as they move towards college, work, adulthood they'll demand action from governmental organisations more than previous generations did.

But she hasn’t advanced awareness of anything only herself and the adults who surround her? I don’t think it will last which is the whole point I’m trying to make about creating something sustainable. I know you know what sustainability is, and Greta’s demonstrations and grandiose gestures aren’t it.

Climate scientists, politicians, teachers, etc have been working on these issues for decades now, long before Greta ever appeared on the scene. That’s why Greta telling people that she wants them to be as scared as she is and that adults have stolen her future just comes across as alarmist patronising nonsense. There’s nothing scientific in her rhetoric where she is mimicking scientists and protesters opinions to politicians.

I think her peers will demand more action, that is those children who are inspired by her will demand more action. Those children who are inspired by someone else will be opposed to the people who were inspired by Greta. They will move through college, work and adulthood too in a society which is perpetuated by Capitalism and driven by consumerism. Changes to that economy are like climate change - they take place over decades, and they’re so small they’re hardly noticeable when you’re living in that period. But if you look back through history you can hardly deny that children today enjoy a better standard and quality of life than children did 100 years ago for example. Children in the future will have raised the bar again. Focusing on one single aspect of that like climate change ignores the numerous other factors which will contribute to making that a reality.

But she hasn’t advanced awareness of anything only herself and the adults who surround her?

Several hundred thousand of students world wide have participated in her strike worldwide.

Applications for environmental courses in CAO courses increased this year.

I don't think it's unfair to say the two things are likely linked.

Several hundred thousand of students world wide have participated in her strike worldwide.

Applications for gender studies and Identity politics keep going up too.

The people on these courses say they are concerned about Co2 but they emit so much hot air themselves.

15896598-7234745-Climate_change_activists_pictured_stalled_Brisbane_traffic_by_ho-a-33_1562814333249.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26 minggatu

And she has just updated today's position. Does anyone know is there a way to follow the position live via Google maps or something?

I followed her there now. 1million followers for some tweeting about science. Different to the kardashians anyway :)

windy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The students who get dropped to school each morning in Chelsea tractors and have all been to the Canaries in a 737 for their holidays?
    The students who sit around their fossil fuel heated homes the whole winter in t-shirts shipped at great ecological expense from Taiwan while tweeting from their iPhones?

Applications for gender studies and Identity politics keep going up too.

The people on these courses say they are concerned about Co2 but they emit so much hot air themselves.

15896598-7234745-Climate_change_activists_pictured_stalled_Brisbane_traffic_by_ho-a-33_1562814333249.jpg

You sound like you're trying to get a laugh out of your mates with these posts.

If I tell you I think you're really funny will you stop trying to prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The two things are completely unrelated. Some people are like that, that they care about being seen to care about whatever social issue is currently trending. Last year it was metoo, this year it’s climate change, next year it’ll be something else that captures international interest for a brief period.

Trying to link this latest movement with an upsurge in the number of CAO applications for environmental courses is at best wishful thinking, and at worst fallacious. It would be like me suggesting that the upsurge in interest in the social sciences is a result of the metoo movement.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The students who get dropped to school each morning in Chelsea tractors and have all been to the Canaries in a 737 for their holidays?
    The students who sit around their fossil fuel heated homes the whole winter in t-shirts shipped at great ecological expense from Taiwan while tweeting from their iPhones?

Does the above cover all students?
    It's easy throw blanket accusations at students.

And simultaneously castigating Greta who tries to set an example just makes it look like you're just looking for a way to demean or undermine the argument in any way possible.

You sound like you're trying to get a laugh out of your mates with these posts.

If I tell you I think you're really funny will you stop trying to prove it?

Think you have picked me up wrong.

Honestly.

The two things are completely unrelated. Some people are like that, that they care about being seen to care about whatever social issue is currently trending. Last year it was metoo, this year it’s climate change, next year it’ll be something else that captures international interest for a brief period.

Trying to link this latest movement with an upsurge in the number of CAO applications for environmental courses is at best wishful thinking, and at worst fallacious. It would be like me suggesting that the upsurge in interest in the social sciences is a result of the metoo movement.

How do you know they are unrelated?

Attending protests and gearing frequent conversations about Greta are much more likely to have influenced their opinions than not.

If Greta only started her protest 1 month ago or if no protests had been held in Ireland, I'd agree with you but that is not the case.

It's very judgemental to suggest you can state they are unrelated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Is there anything to be said for another tax?

Admit where you copy and pasted that nonsense? You didn't write it yourself.

Anyway thanks for the comedy even it was just copy and pasted from another website.

Just as I thought. I have the ability to pose questions from original ideas that you have an inability to address. How many times now have you used the copy and paste reply to deflect, 5? It makes you look foolish debating like that.

Blueshoe wrote: »

If it's a choice between that and keeping doing what we're doing then it's going to have to be tax.

I'd prefer to see a change in our behavior brought about by acceptance of the situation rather than having to wait until we have to be forced to change our behavior.

This thread would indicate it'll have to be tax/legislation to bring about change.

If it's a choice between that and keeping doing what we're doing then it's going to have to be tax.

I'd prefer to see a change in our behavior brought about by acceptance of the situation rather than having to wait until we have to be forced to change our behavior.

This thread would indicate it'll have to be tax/legislation to bring about change.

Do you believe we can control the temperature of the earth through taxation?

Ireland is responsible for .13 % of global emissions. The only difference a tax on us will make is the average person will be poorer. The already poor will be even more so and the rich won't feel any different.

Do you not think you pay enough tax? I think I do and I also think I see no return on it.

Where will the tax take be spent? Already in the news this week we see rumblings about how much money the government will lose on excise duty if the switch to ev is made.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I think there are arguments for incentives making people change their behaviour quicker than greater taxes.

Yes taking from those that actually work and produce value and giving it to the rich and the unemployable to have loads of welfare sponging children will solve all our problems.

Why don't we let those who are too lazy to work starve to death and if that does not do the trick we could play a game of Nuclear Roulette to thin the population ever more.
    Sorry Finland you drew the short straw.
    giphy.gif

Jesus these people who say there are too many people should lead by example.:D

shesty wrote: »
    I think there are arguments for incentives making people change their behaviour quicker than greater taxes.

Take the bus instead of driving to avoid a tax
    Reality: there is no bus

Do you believe we can control the temperature of the earth through taxation?

Do you understand the principle of changing behaviors through financial or legal penalties?

Example a = plastic bag tax
    Example b = smoking in workplace ban

• Advertisement

Take the bus instead of driving to avoid a tax
    Reality: there is no bus

You could always cycle.

Now before you say it I know being on a bike with all those big 45 foot HGVs is risky but if you get run over that is less pressure on the resources.

P.S. make sure you use a cardboard coffin.:D

See Blueshoe the people who say WE need to make sacrifices don't include themselves or their family in the WE.

All these kids brainwashed about climate change but yet mammy or daddy have to drive them to school and pick them up again.

I got off work early one day and made the mistake of driving past the school the traffic jam was a nightmare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement