Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Billy Mays wrote: »
    You've something in common with her so

Assuming,that it is her profile....some of the more recent enquiring pieces are finding a few loose ends and threads blowing in the

wind...https://standpointmag.co.uk/issues/june-2019/gretas-very-corporate-childrens-crusade/
    Wijkman leads the anti-growth Club of Rome. Its alarmist 1972 report, A Limit to Growth?, has become a cornerstone of the “climate emergency” campaign. In December 2018, We Have No Time and Global Challenge launched the Club of Rome’s latest vision of apocalypse, the Climate Emergency Plan. Greta, Rentzhog told me, was invited to the launch event, but was unable to attend as she was already booked to deliver a TED Talk.

Different names,but all pushing a very specific agends for a long time with little result...UNTIL....the discovery of Greta Thunberg....
    The Climate Emergency Plan’s talking points are Greta’s talking points. “Around the year 2030, in ten years, 250 days, and ten hours,” the Scandinavian Cassandra told British parliamentarians, “we will be in a position where we set off an irreversible chain reaction beyond human control that will most likely lead to the end of our civilisation as we know it.” The only way to save ourselves is to follow the Climate Emergency Plan, and instantly green the global energy business through massive government investment and emergency legislation. Wijkman of the Club of Rome sees Greta as vital to pushing the “climate emergency” strategy on Europe’s political class.

Happy & Clappy these folks just ain't....:(

Greta's discovery must have appeared miraculous to the Club of Rome folks...almost as if the creator him(her)self had sent her to lead us out of evil and damnation.....

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/04/02/archives/the-limits-to-growth-a-report-for-the-club-of-romes-project-on-the.html

It just shows how much reading the adult Greta is now going to have to do in order to begin "debating" the issues....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,635 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Attack the post, not the poster

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Do I? Seem my Twitter account, facebook page instagram yeah promoting myself? Jeez you must have a very good imagination cos dont have any...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

You're obsessed with her public profile. You've hundreds of if not over a thousand posts in this thread. Everything she does, says or that appears on her twitter feed (which I doubt she even operates), you're in here commenting, almost exclusively negatively, on it.

I'm not a big fan of the girl myself tbh but you are literally obsessed with her

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I just ignore her myself. Until this thread came up I'd never even heard of her to be honest.

Like most trendy crusades it'll be forgotten soon enough as something else takes its place. This one appeals to the young and the middle class virtue-signalling types primarily, especially as it's been structured to fit the all too common and divisive "you're with us or you're against us!" mentality these days.

I drive a big diesel car, I don't separate out my bins (as I rent what is effectively a duplex), and I eat whatever meat (chicken and beef mostly) takes my fancy from day to day.

But the car is 10 years old with just short of 400k km on it , I generate a single black bag of rubbish about once a fortnight or slightly longer (which then goes into a compactor), and I don't always eat dinner for that matter as I might only fancy some cereal when I get home.

I don't buy into this alarmist nonsense that also typifies many of these online campaigns - drama. In the 80s it was the ozone layer or nuclear winter and yet we're all still here thanks to more rational heads prevailing and real changes being made (not getting rid of the plastic straw in your McDonald's meal.. Incidentally their paper ones are shyte and disintegrate about halfway through a milkshake).

By the time it actually becomes a crisis - if ever! - technology will have advanced sufficiently to actually solve it (as opposed to simply levying more taxes on the ordinary public who have very little options for change), or maybe we'll just start setting up orbital space stations and colonies on the moon - might sound like sci fi today, but I fully expect to see at least the beginning of it in my lifetime.

So I'm not going to worry about it or start living like I'm in the Third World just to make some online personalities feel good about themselves. Besides, as soon as the next economic crisis hits, all of this will be soon forgotten anyway as more pressing concerns take its place.

• Advertisement

Hi Unearthly *waves* :pac:

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I just ignore her myself. Until this thread came up I'd never even heard of her to be honest.

Like most trendy crusades it'll be forgotten soon enough as something else takes its place. This one appeals to the young and the middle class virtue-signalling types primarily, especially as it's been structured to fit the all too common and divisive "you're with us or you're against us!" mentality these days.

I drive a big diesel car, I don't separate out my bins (as I rent what is effectively a duplex), and I eat whatever meat (chicken and beef mostly) takes my fancy from day to day.

But the car is 10 years old with just short of 400k km on it , I generate a single black bag of rubbish about once a fortnight or slightly longer (which then goes into a compactor), and I don't always eat dinner for that matter as I might only fancy some cereal when I get home.

I don't buy into this alarmist nonsense that also typifies many of these online campaigns - drama. In the 80s it was the ozone layer or nuclear winter and yet we're all still here thanks to more rational heads prevailing and real changes being made (not getting rid of the plastic straw in your McDonald's meal.. Incidentally their paper ones are shyte and disintegrate about halfway through a milkshake).

By the time it actually becomes a crisis - if ever! - technology will have advanced sufficiently to actually solve it (as opposed to simply levying more taxes on the ordinary public who have very little options for change), or maybe we'll just start setting up orbital space stations and colonies on the moon - might sound like sci fi today, but I fully expect to see at least the beginning of it in my lifetime.

So I'm not going to worry about it or start living like I'm in the Third World just to make some online personalities feel good about themselves. Besides, as soon as the next economic crisis hits, all of this will be soon forgotten anyway as more pressing concerns take its place.

You are correct most of what is being pushed outside actual scientific reports is pure alarmist nonsense. God forbid you actually refer to the topic of the thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Meat Loaf says Greta Thunberg has been brainwashed into thinking climate change is real

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/meat-loaf-greta-thunberg-climate-change-australia-bushfire-sharon-a9270246.html

Enough said.

Like a brat out of hell..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

• Advertisement

A vegan meatloaf?..more of that tofu muck..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Anyone who seriously knows about climate and studies it knows climate change is real and a serious issue. On the denier side are right wing shills and meatloaf.

Like a brat out of hell..

Now that's not nice...Mr & Mrs T are truly enlightened parents,by all accounts....

https://www.facebook.com/BBCScotland/videos/550606562449954/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

And then there was HIV/AIDS.....remember the very real panic,abuse and terror inflicted on the Gay community...Yet that awful apocalyptic vision never fully materialised either.

Recently deceased Jerry Herman,is probably the most recent example of somebody who not only beat the rap,but flourished after it !

https://variety.com/2019/legit/news/jerry-herman-dead-88-hello-dolly-composer-lyricist-1203452364/
    Herman was diagnosed as HIV positive in 1985 and wrote about his long-term survival with the virus in his 1996 autobiography “Showtune: A Memoir by Jerry Herman,” co-written with Marilyn Stasio.

For once I have no problem agreeing with Prez Trump,I have absolutely no doubt that Ms Thunberg will have a long,happy and healthy life,if only she (and her handlers) allows herself a bit of space....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

AlekSmart wrote: »
    And then there was HIV/AIDS.....remember the very real panic,abuse and terror inflicted on the Gay community...Yet that awful apocalyptic vision never fully materialised either.

Recently deceased Jerry Herman,is probably the most recent example of somebody who not only beat the rap,but flourished after it !

https://variety.com/2019/legit/news/jerry-herman-dead-88-hello-dolly-composer-lyricist-1203452364/

For once I have no problem agreeing with Prez Trump,I have absolutely no doubt that Ms Thunberg will have a long,happy and healthy life,if only she (and her handlers) allows herself a bit of space....

The dire warning about HIV/AIDs didn't come about because people changed their behaviours drastically and there was huge public education and research. It isn't that the warnings were wrong it's that they were taken seriously and action was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,699 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This post could be used in future as an example of 'the ignorance displayed by many'.
    • Didn't hear of someone who was a topic of near global conversation until a thread was started on Boards.
    • Proud of the fact that they make no effort to recycle and drive a 'big diesel'.
    • Unaware of the fact that 80's concern about the ozone lead to the banning of CFC's which had been responsible for the rapid escalation of the issue and whose removal saw that particular problem negated.
    • The ubiquitous statement about it being all an excuse for taxes again while Irish, American and Australian (to name a few) governments have shown no interest in bringing in taxes to enforce change.
    • A completely baseless belief that technology can solve all problems while Australia is suffering catastrophic damage by something which in theory could be solved by pouring water on it.

Quite depressing to read it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This post could be used in future as an example of 'the ignorance displayed by many'.
    • Didn't hear of someone who was a topic of near global conversation until a thread was started on Boards.
    • Proud of the fact that they make no effort to recycle and drive a 'big diesel'.
    • Unaware of the fact that 80's concern about the ozone lead to the banning of CFC's which had been responsible for the rapid escalation of the issue and whose removal saw that particular problem negated.
    • The ubiquitous statement about it being all an excuse for taxes again while Irish, American and Australian (to name a few) governments have shown no interest in bringing in taxes to enforce change.
    • A completely baseless belief that technology can solve all problems while Australia is suffering catastrophic damage by something which in theory could be solved by pouring water on it.

Just responding to your first point , a person on Mastermind didn't hear of Greta either although Greta or her handler made a joke about it on twitter. A name change I believe was the response.
    Your post could also be used as an example of arrogance displayed by many

Just responding to your first point , a person on Mastermind didn't hear of Greta either although Greta or her handler made a joke about it on twitter. A name change I believe was the response.
    Your post could also be used as an example of arrogance displayed by many

Incorrect, the person on MM didn't know who wrote the particular book referred to in the question which does not indicate they didn't know who Greta is.

The fact you only responded to that point and are also accusing me of being arrogant tells me the post has hit a nerve. Truth hurts I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

20Cent wrote: »
    The dire warning about HIV/AIDs didn't come about because people changed their behaviours drastically and there was huge public education and research. It isn't that the warnings were wrong it's that they were taken seriously and action was taken.

Yes, I'm not working in the area or very knowledgeable about it but I imagine that post just casually rubbished the life's work of alot of clever & dedicated people.

Par for the course for this cesspool forum though.

AIDS did (and is still doing) alot of damage in Africa (which had less resources for the educational, scientific research & public health efforts needed to fight the disease).

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/05/15/723564110/new-hiv-map-offers-most-detailed-look-yet-at-the-epidemic?t=1578168524221

Depressing / ignorance? Nah dont think so. Poster is being nothing but refreshingly honest

Tbh you must be reading a different comment .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Incorrect, the person on MM didn't know who wrote the particular book referred to in the question which does not indicate they didn't know who Greta is.

The fact you only responded to that point and are also accusing me of being arrogant tells me the post has hit a nerve. Truth hurts I guess.

No nerve hit at all, thanks for the correction though. My contention about your arrogance is demonstrated by the majority of your posts on this thread. Although condescension features quite noticeablely aswell. Anyway carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

For the planet apparently.

“But, I’d do anything for our planet and dropping meat for veg, even for just one day a week, can make a huge difference.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

I'll just leave this here.

I'll just leave this here.

And' Ill leave this here. The presenter in that video is Alex Epstein.
    Alex Epstein is the director of the Center for Industrial Progress, a for-profit think tank he founded in 2011. Its mission is to “inspire Americans to embrace industrial progress as a cultural ideal.” He is also a blogger at Master Resource, a “Free Market Energy Blog,” and a past fellow of the Ayn Rand Institute. Alex is also the author of the book Fossil Fuels Improve the Planet.

Unbiased, he ain't.

And' Ill leave this here. The presenter in that video is Alex Epstein.

Unbiased, he ain't.

Fair point but i'd still be more inclined to listen to his views than the crazy people in first half of the video claiming that the world is fvcked if we don't turn things around in the next 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,310 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

For the planet apparently.

“But, I’d do anything for our planet and dropping meat for veg, even for just one day a week, can make a huge difference.”

To mark his conversion to vegetarianism, Meatloaf has released a new EP featuring...

I would do anything for lovage,

Stew out of peas ain't bad and..

You took the wurst right out of my mouth.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Fair point but i'd still be more inclined to listen to his views than the crazy people in first half of the video claiming that the world is fvcked if we don't turn things around in the next 12 years.

Why would you? By his own admission, he is trying to make money by telling people to embrace industrial development

The first person is talking about the concern if we persist as we are.
    Maybe they are wrong with the 12 years, but they're not wrong that something needs to be done.

Woukd you tell people to ignore the dangers if smoking if we cannot definitively tell them exactly how long before they will become I'll from it.

You see, this is the negative consequence about taking people for eejits and talking down to them through a child..you piss them off to the point where they stop listening to the environmental message at all.

Why would you? By his own admission, he is trying to make money by telling people to embrace industrial development

The first person is talking about the concern if we persist as we are.
    Maybe they are wrong with the 12 years, but they're not wrong that something needs to be done.

Woukd you tell people to ignore the dangers if smoking if we cannot definitively tell them exactly how long before they will become I'll from it.

This is the key issue we don't know exactly what is going to happen or what the impact will be with 100% certainty. What exactly do you suggest we do?

We've been told that the climate is fvcked for decades now.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-09-09/armstrong-climate-change-has-been-routine-scare-tactic-1930s#comment_stream

How do we know that this time it's the real deal and not like any of the other previous times when we've been told that we're all doomed if we don't take drastic action.

Less of the alarmist language and scaremongering would be a good start IMO.

As for the smokers questions that's a fairly different scenario all smokers are smoking by choice.

But not everyone that's burning fossil fuels is doing so by choice in some cases they need them to survive.

What would you tell those people?

Stop burning fossil fuels and freeze to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You see, this is the negative consequence about taking people for eejits and talking down to them through a child..you piss them off to the point where they stop listening to the environmental message at all.

yeah, cos climate change denial has only been around since last year.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement