Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Ireland is responsible for .13 % of global emissions. The only difference a tax on us will make is the average person will be poorer. The already poor will be even more so and the rich won't feel any different.

Do you not think you pay enough tax? I think I do and I also think I see no return on it.

Where will the tax take be spent? Already in the news this week we see rumblings about how much money the government will lose on excise duty if the switch to ev is made.

Ireland is failing to meet it's agreed CO2 emmissions target.
    We are one of worst in EU in this respect.

This nonsense of 'we're only making a small impact' is what is allowing people to feel they are absolved from having to change.

We have local, national and EU elections every 5 years, if you don't like our use of tax, you have the opportunity to vote for someone to change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Do you understand the principle of changing behaviors through financial or legal penalties?

Example a = plastic bag tax
    Example b = smoking in workplace ban

Yes of course I do. My question was do you think we can control the temperature of the earth through taxation?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

shesty wrote: »
    I think there are arguments for incentives making people change their behaviour quicker than greater taxes.

Such as?

I'd love to see it but look at the amount of people who use single use plastics where alternatives are available?

Single use coffee cups for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Yes of course I do. My question was do you think we can control the temperature of the earth through taxation?

Some people think they can cause rain with a dance.:D

maxresdefault.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Ireland is failing to meet it's agreed CO2 emmissions target.
    We are one of worst in EU in this respect.

This nonsense of 'we're only making a small impact' is what is allowing people to feel they are absolved from having to change.

We have local, national and EU elections every 5 years, if you don't like our use of tax, you have the opportunity to vote for someone to change that.

I never miss the opportunity to vote. But Iv also realized that the Irish government marches to the EU tune. It's a waste of time really.
    You are hardly guilible enough to think that your vote actually makes any difference are you?

• Advertisement

We can help reduce the amount if CO2 which impacts earth temperature through taxation, yes.

Can Ireland alone tax our way to preventing global temperature rise? No.

Does that we don't do what we can (adhering to Paris agreement for a start)? Also no.

I never miss the opportunity to vote. But Iv also realized that the Irish government marches to the EU tune. It's a waste of time really.
    You are hardly guilible enough to think that your vote actually makes any difference are you?

It makes the exact same difference as every other vote. Collectively, we get the government our society wants.

If you want to go the BS conspiracy theory route, there's other threads for that or Gemma will welcome you in Barrow Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

How do you know they are unrelated?

Attending protests and gearing frequent conversations about Greta are much more likely to have influenced their opinions than not.

If Greta only started her protest 1 month ago or if no protests had been held in Ireland, I'd agree with you but that is not the case.

It's very judgemental to suggest you can state they are unrelated.

You know the whole correlation, causation fallacy. I’m not going to insult your intelligence.

Suggesting that Greta and environmental campaigners had any influence on the number of applications for environmental sciences courses is a leap. As I said it would be like saying the metoo movement is responsible for the increasing interest in the social sciences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭jackboy

12,000 scientists signed statement supporting children striking for action on climate.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00861-z.

That is not science, it is basically a petition.

Suggesting that Greta and environmental campaigners had any influence on the number of applications for environmental sciences courses is a leap.

11,000 students March in Dail on climate protest.

Later that summer increased numbers applied for environmental courses.

Yeah, there's definitely no relation.

• Advertisement

It makes the exact same difference as every other vote. Collectively, we get the government our society wants.

If you want to go the BS conspiracy theory route, there's other threads for that or Gemma will welcome you in Barrow Street.

Because Im aware my vote makes no difference I'm thrown in with O Doherty and crew!

Deluded much.

The EU does dictate climate policy. Ireland goes along

jackboy wrote: »
    That is not science, it is basically a petition.

Knock yourself out.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/may/03/climate-crisis-is-about-to-put-humanity-at-risk-un-scientists-warn

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49149761

https://www.ucsusa.org/global-warming

https://climate.nasa.gov/effects/

If you are trying to discount Greta's position purely on the basis of whether the cliff edge is 2030 or not, you're deliberately being pedantic in order to ignore the reality.

Because Im aware my vote makes no difference I'm thrown in with O Doherty and crew!

Deluded much.

The EU does dictate climate policy. Ireland goes along

If it looks like a duck.....

Knock yourself out.

People quoting the Guardian is the same as me quoting Breitbart

People quoting the Guardian is the same as me quoting Breitbart

So to with the other 3........

We can help reduce the amount if CO2 which impacts earth temperature through taxation, yes.

Can Ireland alone tax our way to preventing global temperature rise? No.

Does that we don't do what we can (adhering to Paris agreement for a start)? Also no.

Co2 is a relatively small contributor to one rather marginal influencer of global climate, namely the greenhouse effect.

The carbon obsession and it’s taxation will do nothing to address more influential drivers of global climate. Global climate has always changed and human action can do very little to control that change.

Taxing carbon might make us feel better but is about as useful as taxing clouds.

So to with the other 3........

We had the hole in ozone layer going to kill is all first.
    Then we were told by the year 2000 we would be in serious trouble

What's the latest timeline?

I didn't look at any of the others because you quoted the guardian. That's enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I didn't look at any of the others because you quoted the guardian. That's enough for me.

An interesting approach to becoming informed

Knock yourself out.

They are just articles full of waffle. There are massive gaps in our understanding and knowledge of climate change. Those articles are not science.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    An interesting approach to becoming informed

*Misinformed

Agenda driven rag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Just as I thought. I have the ability to pose questions from original ideas that you have an inability to address. How many times now have you used the copy and paste reply to deflect, 5? It makes you look foolish debating like that.

What am I deflecting from?. I haven't entered into a discussion with you. You wrote about some new world nonsense. Why would I take you seriously. I have made that clear that I don't take you seriously. You have given me a chuckle buts that about it and your not even original which is a bit of a disappointment.

Now just admit that you copied and pasted that nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,148 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

11,000 students March in Dail on climate protest.

Later that summer increased numbers applied for environmental courses.

Yeah, there's definitely no relation.

There isn’t! As I said, all you have there is a correlation between two things. The increase in interest in environmental sustainability could just as well be explained by the fact that it’s opening up new employment opportunities like a Climate Change Manager who was making a pitch for investment in her nappy collection and recycling as a service business -

I was genuinely scratching my head at the time while watching it thinking what does a climate change manager do? :pac:

What am I deflecting from?. I haven't entered into a discussion with you. You wrote about some new world nonsense. Why would I take you seriously. I have made that clear that I don't take you seriously. You have given me a chuckle buts that about it and your not even original which is a bit of a disappointment.

Now just admit that you copied and pasted that nonsense

Marquisdesad is it ok if I just call you sad?

We had the hole in ozone layer going to kill is all first.
    Then we were told by the year 2000 we would be in serious trouble

None so blind as those that will not see.

Everything's fine, you're right, don't worry.

They are just articles full of waffle. There are massive gaps in our understanding and knowledge of climate change. Those articles are not science.

Really, are NASA in the habit of publishing non science?

It’s an article. Articles are not science.

NASA have a history of making simple mistakes also

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-british-teenager-has-corrected-a-mistake-in-nasa-s-data

None so blind as those that will not see.

Everything's fine, you're right, don't worry.

Open the wallet to save the planet

It’s an article. Articles are not science.

You're right actually, that's their creative writing department.

I'm surprised you can type with your head in the sand.

• Advertisement

You're right actually, that's their creative writing department.

I'm surprised you can type with your head in the sand.

Read the article. There is very little real in it. No detail. Very vague about the effects of climate change. No serious solutions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement