Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Okay the truth is people just don’t like being “lectured” to by a child. It really is as simple as that. Regardless of the issue, it just grates on people. Also , let’s just be honest here, having a child as a spokesperson for an issue is a cynical way of avoiding any criticism. “Oh so your attacking a child”. It also provides a story for the media on a slow news day, George Lee RTE gets real excited when children are taken from school, given placards and driven to the Daíl. Anyway she’s just a fad, in 2 years she’ll be replaced by the next messiah and climate emergency will probably be changed to climate catastrophe. This upcoming budget should be a doozy (tax tax tax) and if you complain you must hate the environment. FG will try to out green the greens to offset their vote in next years election.

Oh it’s all soooo cynical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    And she has just updated today's position. Does anyone know is there a way to follow the position live via Google maps or something?

I followed her there now. 1million followers for some tweeting about science. Different to the kardashians anyway :)

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1162689184433418240?s=19

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:4966823/zoom:10

The yacht is heading SW away from a big storm in the North Atlantic.
    It makes sense. Back in the day, most commercial sailing ships took this tack going to America. They picked up the Trade Winds somewhere off the Azores.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,704 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jackboy wrote: »
    Read the article. There is very little real in it. No detail. Very vague about the effects of climate change. No serious solutions.

You're right. Very vague, well apart from the subcategories.

Temperatures Will Continue to Rise
    Sea Level Will Rise 1-4 feet by 2100
    Hurricanes Will Become Stronger and More Intense
    More Droughts and Heat Wave
    Arctic Likely to Become Ice-Free

Feel free to peruse the references provided.
    References
    IPCC 2007, Summary for Policymakers, in Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, p. 17.
    IPCC, 2013: Summary for Policymakers. In: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Stocker, T.F., D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. Tignor, S.K. Allen, J. Boschung, A. Nauels, Y. Xia, V. Bex and P.M. Midgley (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
    USGCRP 2014, Third Climate Assessment.
    USGCRP 2017, Fourth Climate Assessment.

As for solutions?

We don't have any. That's the point.

As for solutions?

We don't have any. That's the point.

Guess who else doesn't?
    That's right Greta!!

bubblypop wrote: »
    Guess who else doesn't?
    That's right Greta!!

No sh*t.

She literally said it herself. Well done for figuring it out.

• Advertisement

No sh*t.

She literally said it herself. Well done for figuring it out.

So what's the point?
    Again, who needs a child to tell them about climate change, when actually she doesn't know anything either!
    All she says is people should listen to scientists.
    Well, thanks, I can listen to scientists without a child telling me to.
    It's all a bit pointless.
    & don't point out that thousands of kids went on school strikes, it doesn't take much to persuade kids to take a handy day off school!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

You're right. Very vague, well apart from the subcategories.

Feel free to peruse the references provided.

Well it would be hard to get more vague than that. Scientists struggle to predict the weather more than three days in advance. We do not have the knowledge to predict the climate decades in advance.

So what's the point?
    Again, who needs a child to tell them about climate change, when actually she doesn't know anything either!
    All she says is people should listen to scientists.
    Well, thanks, I can listen to scientists without a child telling me to.
    It's all a bit pointless.
    & don't point out that thousands of kids went on school strikes, it doesn't take much to persuade kids to take a handy day off school!

She has brought a lot more attention to the conversation, she has inspired many others to follow her example (reportedly 1.4M joined her on one specific coordinated day of strikes).

She is bringing the conversation mainstream.

No question many knew about it, but were happy to ignore it or just put it on the scientists to fix.

Greta speaking to the UN, EU etc is not going to fix anything in and of itself but it at least marks a day when these bodies have allowed her to speak and so cannot say that they do not think there is a need for action.

Well it would be hard to get more vague than that. Scientists struggle to predict the weather more than three days in advance. We do not have the knowledge to predict the climate decades in advance.

Sure jackboy, sure.

You're right, nothing to see here.

Again, doesn't take much for kids to jump on whatever gets them out of school for a day or half a day!
    I don't believe she has made anyone aware of climate change, anyone who has heard of her was already well aware of it.
    & I don't think for one minute that any government in the world is going to do anything because a child is preaching to them!

• Advertisement

Again, doesn't take much for kids to jump on whatever gets them out of school for a day or half a day!
    I don't believe she has made anyone aware of climate change, anyone who has heard of her was already well aware of it.
    & I don't think for one minute that any government in the world is going to do anything because a child is preaching to them!

This post is so devoid of reality all it does is show that you hate the idea of a young person influencing public opinion.

You should look in to that, it's not good for you I reckon.

This post is so devoid of reality all it does is show that you hate the idea of a young person influencing public opinion.

You should look in to that, it's not good for you I reckon.

No, just says exactly what it says, people, particularly the people she is preaching to were already totally aware of climate change. Now, maybe you didn't know..... But that's on you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

She's a remarkable young woman. Her generation will live with our mistakes - baking hot summers, shortages of water and food, an unpredictable, unstable world thanks to us.

She's a remarkable young woman.

What's unremarkable - a 16 year old progressive vocal female is being bullied and jeered by frustrated white men. Just 14 months to go.

Sure jackboy, sure.

You're right, nothing to see here.

I’m not saying that there is nothing happening. It is highly likely that we are having an impact on the climate. We are years away from knowing the extent, consequences and what if anything has to be done about it.

The climate change issue has gone far beyond something to be studied and understood and is now in he realms of religion. Most of what we see and hear in the media is closer to religious doctrine than scientific fact. Greta has good intentions but if you listen her language is clearly religious rather than scientific.

I’m not saying that there is nothing happening. It is highly likely that we are having an impact on the climate. We are years away from knowing the extent, consequences and what if anything has to be done about it.

The climate change issue has gone far beyond something to be studied and understood and is now in he realms of religion. Most of what we see and hear in the media is closer to religious doctrine than scientific fact. Greta has good intentions but if you listen her language is clearly religious rather than scientific.

There was one posted example of scientists issuing their warnings and you dismissed it as vague.

What exactly are you looking for or do you just want to admit that you do not want to change your lifestyle in any way?

No, just says exactly what it says, people, particularly the people she is preaching to were already totally aware of climate change. Now, maybe you didn't know..... But that's on you!

What about the 1.4M students who joined her in protesting? Do you think they were all as clued in before Greta starting getting her message across?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

What about the 1.4M students who joined her in protesting? Do you think they were all as clued in before Greta starting getting her message across?

I think they were all clued in by their no good hippy Teachers, even back in my schooldaze back in the 80s I can remember the amount of eco proselyting certain teachers engaged in.

I do, I was well aware of climate change when I was younger & I believe kids today are a lot more clued in then I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Sometimes one individual doing small things can have a massive impact.
    One black woman refusing to move her seat in a bus by itself is no big deal, but the knock on effects were massive.
    One teenager promoting awareness of climate in this instance does seem to have inspired a lot of awareness and discussion.
    It is easy to be cynical.

There was one posted example of scientists issuing their warnings and you dismissed it as vague.

What exactly are you looking for or do you just want to admit that you do not want to change your lifestyle in any way?

Of course you should be wary about scientists making broad statements in the media with little detail. Some great Nobel prize winning scientists over the years have made lunatic statements to the media which were not based on data and which damaged their reputation.

The warnings were vague statements that the weather may get worse in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Her generation will live with our mistakes - baking hot summers, shortages of water and food, an unpredictable, unstable world thanks to us.

There is no evidence that they will have to deal with baking hot Summers and shortages of water and food due to CAGW. (as an example California does not have any drought this year, yet a few years ago the drought was never going to end.) There is just as compelling an argument that they might have to deal with food shortages as consequence of the solar minimum. While in Russia they are likely to have bumper harvest.

They certainly will have to cope with unreliable energy systems due to the mis-allocation of resources caused by current government policies (grid instability seen in South Australia and early warning signs in both Britain and Germany this year) and they will also have to deal with the fallout from the collapse of the welfare states built on borrowing and cheap energy. Did you think most homes can have 3 phase power installed so they can charge the car and run the shower at the same time?

She's a remarkable young woman.

What's unremarkable - a 16 year old progressive vocal female is being bullied and jeered by frustrated white men. Just 14 months to go.

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/1161586769999126529

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Brendan O'Neil of Irish peasants fame. A proper dolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Brendan O'Neil of Irish peasants fame. A proper dolt.

Do not resort to insults. If you disagree with someones opinion state why you disagree.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

Do not resort to insults. If you disagree with someone opinion state why you disagree.

Brendan O'Neil is a dolt. He is considered a dolt. This is considered when he opens his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Brendan O'Neil is a dolt. He is considered a dolt. This is considered when he opens his mouth.

More hyper intellectual analysis.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Do not resort to insults. If you disagree with someones opinion state why you disagree.
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    More hyper intellectual analysis.
    Can't really disagree on it, he's resorted to mock Thunberg about how she speaks in English(second language). Previous nonsense that he's pushed is that Savile victims should not come forward and should keep it in the past. So he's a man known for controversial and outrageous statements so he can get more airtime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

1 good. A few degrees higher would be nice. It's mid August and only 17 degrees
    2 il be dead by then so I don't care
    3 we don't have hurricanes, drought or heatwaves in Ireland due to our location. That won't change
    4 Parts of the Arctic are -45 degrees Celsius and are up to 5km deep of solid ice. It will be -41 degrees and still close to 5km deep.

But by all means give a few extra euro to Pascal, Leo and the rest of the golden pension untouchables.

China, India and the rest will still pollute like fûck and the world population will still continue to grow quickly putting more strain on natural resources.
    Go right ahead.
    How much can we sign you up for a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Worldwide ban on having more than 2 children per couple is step 1

Except then population of Europe is aging and dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

joe40 wrote: »
    Sometimes one individual doing small things can have a massive impact.
    One black woman refusing to move her seat in a bus by itself is no big deal, but the knock on effects were massive.
    One teenager promoting awareness of climate in this instance does seem to have inspired a lot of awareness and discussion.
    It is easy to be cynical.

It’s easy to be cynical when you distill complex circumstances down to simplistic narratives in order to elevate one individual as the human face of the campaign. They do that same sort of thing on X factor, nothing new about simplistic narratives which are framed in such a way as to appeal to their audience.

EDIT: I should explain. The Rosa Parks narrative is a lot more complex than the simplistic narrative portrayed of a black woman who stood up for her civil rights against the white man, and she wasn’t the first woman to stage a sit down protest on the bus either -

Parks was not the first person to resist bus segregation, but the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) believed that she was the best candidate for seeing through a court challenge after her arrest for civil disobedience in violating Alabama segregation laws. Parks' prominence in the community and her willingness to become a controversial figure inspired the black community to boycott the Montgomery buses for over a year, the first major direct action campaign of the post-war civil rights movement. Her case became bogged down in the state courts, but the federal Montgomery bus lawsuit Browder v. Gayle succeeded in November 1956.

Parks did not originate the idea of protesting segregation with a bus sit-in. Those preceding her included Bayard Rustin in 1942, Irene Morgan in 1946, Lillie Mae Bradford in 1951, Sarah Louise Keys in 1952, and the members of the ultimately successful Browder v. Gayle 1956 lawsuit (Claudette Colvin, Aurelia Browder, Susie McDonald, and Mary Louise Smith) who were arrested in Montgomery for not giving up their bus seats months before Parks.

Rosa Parks Wikipedia page

Same story with how Greta Thunberg is being portrayed. It’s not the case that she was simply a plucky young schoolgirl who cares about climate change and the environment. That’s the way she is being portrayed by the adults who are enabling her as the face of their campaign to represent their interests. The reality is that when a school strike was suggested to her, she thought it was a good idea, and her school friends had no interest. To suggest she is even capable of having any impact on anyone who didn’t already support her views is just ludicrous.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Except then population of Europe is aging and dropping.

It's not the people in Europe I'm talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement