Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

You genuinely can't see any way their awareness would impact their personal behavior, their career choice, or what they'll expect from politicians in relation to this in just a couple of years when they start to vote?

They may feel differently when the extra taxes are coming from their pay packets. When the possibility of 2 weeks in the sun and a week on the slopes is the preserve of the very wealthy unlike today.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

You genuinely can't see any way their awareness would impact their personal behavior, their career choice, or what they'll expect from politicians in relation to this in just a couple of years when they start to vote?

Fair play to them for protesting - lying on the ground or whatever other trendy things they do, but you do realize that most will do absolutely nothing after these protests and photo opps end right ? Protests are known to achieve very little unless they’re backed up by strong educated individuals who form a group to act after the protests end as an example the Repeal Campaign. She is an environmental influencer at the moment and that’s all. I’m also sorry to tell you that Greta or her followers won’t be saving the planet anytime soon. She should use her platforms to show people how they can make changes to their daily lives. Not pictures of herself on boats or sitting outside parliaments...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,705 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    They may feel differently when the extra taxes are coming from their pay packets. When the possibility of 2 weeks in the sun and a week on the slopes is the preserve of the very wealthy unlike today.

They'd probably prefer that rather than the thought of them or their descendants living in a desolate wasteland with a significantly depleted ecosystem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

They'd probably prefer that rather than the thought of them or their descendants living in a desolate wasteland with a significantly depleted ecosystem.

They'll get plenty of sun then though.

Hal3000 wrote: »
    Fair play to them for protesting but you do realize that most will do absolutely nothing after these protests end right ? Protests are known to achieve very little unless they’re backed up by strong educated individuals who form a group to act after the protests end just like say the Repeal campaign. She is an environmental influencer at the moment and I’m sorry to tell you she won’t be saving the planet anytime soon. She should use her platforms to show people how they can make changes to their daily lives. Not pictures of herself on boats or sitting outside parliaments...

Applications increased for environmental courses this year. That's a positive.

Nobody thinks she's going to save the planet, it indicates the level of knowledge on the topic that you would even hint that people expect that.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    They'll get plenty of sun then though.

Not everyone is as thick as Donald Trump.
    Sun all the time isn't a good thing.

Applications increased for environmental courses this year. That's a positive.

Nobody thinks she's going to save the planet, it indicates the level of knowledge on the topic that you would even hint that people expect that.

I’d rather put the increase in applications down to the Irish teen who is trying to find a scientific solution to remove plastics from the ocean.

I’d rather put the increase in applications down to the Irish teen who is trying to find a solution to remove plastics from the ocean.

Really, that student who was in the news for the first time about two weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What's the point? ...

Yeah true what's the feking point claiming it's a carbon zero journey when its far from anything like that.

That's the problem with much of the creative accounting done about the alternatives and gretas refusal to fly etc. Dig beneath the surface and a lot of it is hogwash.

Really, that student who was in the news for the first time about two weeks ago?

I said I’d rather it was him. I didn't say that was the reason for the increase.

• Advertisement

I said I’d rather it was him. I didn't say that was the reason for the increase.

the reason isnt greta its the facf that there are more and more jobs in this field

capitalism!

Not everyone is as thick as Donald Trump.
    Sun all the time isn't a good thing.

It is in Donegal where there isn't enough sunshine for people to get Vitamin D. But we digress ...

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/home/471701/lack-of-sunshine-in-donegal-resulting-in-low-vitamin-d-levels.html
    Applications increased for environmental courses this year. That's a positive...

I'm sure this has been explained several times before ...
    the phrase "correlation does not imply causation" refers to the inability to legitimately deduce a cause-and-effectrelationship between two variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

And in other news ...
    In this week’s CAO offers, UCD’s economics and finance course emerged as the most oversubscribed in the country, with an entry requirement of 601 points.

At least the kids doing economics and finance should get jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

gozunda wrote: »
    I do hope greta at least understands that the $10 million dollar sailboat - the hull of which is made from Carbon Fibre which is, in turn, made from petroleum is not recyclable. Added to the fact that the some crew of the boat will have to fly back. Crazy stunt at best ...

This kind of thing is now popping up on Twitter...

climate-kid-greta-protesting-oil-on-yacht-made-of-hydrocarbons-3-254x300.jpg
    That is simply a laughable bit of whatabotery. Everytime she breathes she is producing carbon dioxide. That will probably be used in some stupid meme to highlight her hypocrisy.
    Some people need to get a life and stop worrying about what some 16 year old is doing. It's not harming anyone in any way whatsoever.

joe40 wrote: »
    That is simply a laughable bit of whatabotery. Everytime she breathes she is producing carbon dioxide. That will probably be used in some stupid meme to highlight her hypocrisy.
    Some people need to get a life and stop worrying about what some 16 year old is doing. It's not harming anyone in any way whatsoever.

Not annoyed at her, I’m sure she’s a lovely person. Annoyed at the fickleness of it all and how people get easily draw into the whole charade. Hero worshiping a 16 year old who wrote a letter to a politician.

That is simply a laughable bit of whatabotery. Everytime she breathes she is producing carbon dioxide.

huge if true

Some people need to get a life and stop worrying about what some 16 year old is doing.

that's quite an angle when she's constantly being foisted as the joan of arc of a trendy political movement

Yeah true what's the feking point claiming it's a carbon zero journey when its far from anything like that.

That's the problem with much of the creative accounting done about the alternatives and greta refusal to fly etc. Dig beneath the surface and a lot of it is hogwash.

Point is, she's doing what she can.
    Point is, if everyone does the same, situation would be different.

How is it you can't understand that?
    Dig beneath the surface? You think she's pretending the boat appeared out if thin air?

Point is, she's doing what she can.
    Point is, if everyone does the same, situation would be different.

How is it you can't understand that?
    Dig beneath the surface? You think she's pretending the boat appeared out if thin air?

Yes instead of telling her followers; hey guys, why not reduce the amount of sweet packets you guys use everyday ? Hey guys, every though of asking your parents to buy electric ? Hey guys, why not try a meat free day this week? Instead of, I’m going on a Yacht to NYC. Here’s me with a plaque outside the Swedish parliament. Here’s me on the cover of GQ magazine. I don’t blame her, she’s been caught up by the fame and lost sight of the goal. She’s only 16 so she can hopefully learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Umm..... Are you jealous?

Would make a lot of sense for a lot of posters here.

I certainly am jealous of the attention and fame she has, anyone who has views they would like to promote to the world would be. I'm not jealous of any personal attributes she has. If you think that diminishes the point being here you really don't understand what the word jealous even means. Saying you're "just jealous" is a different thing suggesting that jealousy is the only reason they person is attacked.

If a girl child is jealous of the attention the mother is showing her son while ignoring her a lot, that hardly means that the son deserves the attention and that she's "just jealous".

So yeah it does "make a lot of sense" nimrod.

I certainly am jealous of the attention and fame she has, anyone who has views they would like to promote to the world would be. I'm not jealous of any personal attributes she has. If you think that diminishes the point being here you really don't understand what the word jealous even means. Saying you're "just jealous" is a different thing suggesting that jealousy is the only reason they person is attacked.

That explains it.

Take a lead out of her book, and start your protest to get whatever attention it is you want for your views.
    If there's merit to your ideas, you'll get the attention she has gotten.

That is simply a laughable bit of whatabotery. Everytime she breathes she is producing carbon dioxide. That will probably be used in some stupid meme to highlight her hypocrisy.Some people need to get a life and stop worrying about what some 16 year old is doing. It's not harming anyone in any way whatsoever.

Well there we go - it is indeed whataboutery that it is claimed by gretas supporters that she set sail for New York in order to avoid a plane journey for environmental reasons and travelling by boat was somehow completely carbon free. It would be - if there was no boat.

Nothing wrong in some people highlighting the hypocrisy (and that's not saying anyone is a hypocrite btw) of using this boat by reason that it's far from an environmentally friendly means of travel. Just some people dont seem to appreciate that. Odd.

Ommission of the full facts and / or even virtue signalling can indeed do harm where such actions make something appear as it is not

• Advertisement

Well there we go - it is indeed whataboutery that it is claimed by gretas supporters that she set sail for New York in order to avoid a plane journey for environmental reasons and travelling by boat was somehow completely carbon free. It would be - if there was no boat.

Nothing wrong in some people highlighting the hypocrisy (and that's not saying anyone is a hypocrite btw) of using this boat by reason that it's far from an environmentally friendly means of travel. Just some people dont seem to appreciate that. Odd.

Ommission of the true facts or even virtue signalling can indeed do harm where such actions make something appear as it is not

Can you not understand it is carbon free in the sense that no fuel is burned to get there. Everyone knows the boat had to come from somewhere.

If she swam over she'd still emit carbon in breathing, would you say she was still virtue signalling then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There's absolutely something wrong with pointing out the "hypocrisy".

Nobody born today, unless they die immediately and never get fed, has no carbon footprint. It's ****ing stupid to claim otherwise.

This is someone who gives a **** about the future of the planet, because they have a stake in it, and wants to drawn attention to what's going on. If we want to go on about carbon footprint, nobody who has has a child can even remotely criticise her. The carbon footprint, just by having a child, is massively higher. So that rules a lot of idiots right out.

But all of that aside, if she's right, what do we lose? Shareholder value? Some money? Virtually nothing. What do we gain? A better planet? Damn right we do. Why is this a bad thing?

If she's wrong, and she isn't as 99% of scientists on the planet agree, what do we lose? Pretty much ****ing everything.

So why argue?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Can you not understand it is carbon free in the sense that no fuel is burned to get there. .........

It has 377kg of engine onboard

Aside from that, it's a sailing holiday, nothing more

agreed that anyone selfish enough to have had kids shouldnt pretend to care about the planet, tbh

Point is, she's doing what she can.Point is, if everyone does the same, situation would be different.
    How is it you can't understand that? ...

Still flag waving for greta? You do know I'm simply reporting what is being said elsewhere yes?

So you are saying we would all do well to copy greta and sail to New York?

Fair enough - I suppose if there was no one in Ireland - there would be no anthropogenic climate related issues. Yup problem solved. I never thought of that ...

Can you not understand it is carbon free in the sense that no fuel is burned to get there. Everyone knows the boat had to come from somewhere.

Do please try and give other people people some credit. The thing is you cannot ignore the resources used in manufacturing a means of transport when calculating how green it is and the impacts it has on greenhouse gas emissions

Certainly boats need to come from somewhere- but when your campaigning to have all oil gas and coal extraction and use banned - then it becomes somewhat relevant

If she swam over she'd still emit carbon in breathing, would you say she was still virtue signalling then?

We all breath regardless of where we are however - we dont all chose to travel to the US for an unnecessary journey which could have been done by Skype. And yes I know there are some who do go there for holidays etc but at least the ones I've met are not virtue signalling their intentions ..

Can you not understand any of that?

gctest50 wrote: »
    It has 377kg of engine onboard

Is it being used?

Needs power doesn't it ?

They hadn't got around to fitting it with solar before the departure date afaik

Certainly boats need to come from somewhere- but when your campaigning to have all oil gas and coal extraction and use banned immediately - then it becomes somewhat relevant

What'll they do, stick the boat back in the ground? It wasn't made for this specific journey.

Also, has she actually said she wants to 'have all oil gas and coal extraction and use banned immediately'?

Once again, she has said she doesn't have the answers and is campaigning to try to provoke action.

Crew will have to fly over to New York to sail it back

How is she getting home ?

Sailing holiday is all it is.

Fair play to her for getting it for free though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Head in the ****ing sands.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement