Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gctest50 wrote: »
    Crew will have to fly over to New York to sail it back

How is she getting home ?

Sailing holiday is all it is.

Fair play to her for getting it for free though

Does everyone speak at the UN when on holiday?

have to say

the people ~furious~ that anyone could criticise greta or the breathless coverage of her are imo a lot stranger than anyone sick of or cynical about same

Does everyone speak at the UN when on holiday?

should everyone?

thats the cogent question

if the bar is as low as could be suggested by greta being an accepted speaker, then fcukit yes, we should all get the nod

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

What'll they do, stick the boat back in the ground? It wasn't made for this specific journey.Also, has she actually said she wants to 'have all oil gas and coal extraction and use banned immediately'? Once again, she has said she doesn't have the answers and is campaigning to try to provoke action.

Doesnt have to have been made for any one journey. Just the one gretas supporters are claiming is completely emission free. Do the proper calculations which include how the means of transport is made and of what and it certainly is not.

As one of her more enthusiastic supporters - you really don't seem to have listened to much of what she has said tbh. Yes she has called for a complete ban on the use of all fossil fuels etc. Once again she is saying one thing and apparently doing another. People are going to point that out whether you like it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

have to say

the people ~furious~ that anyone could criticise greta or the breathless coverage of her are imo a lot stranger than anyone sick of or cynical about same

How about those of us who are not furious or even angry, just confused and disappointed, that anyone could argue against the point (and not the journey) that is being made and thing that it's a in the better interest to argue against it?

This isn't opinion. It's scientific consensus.

If a Guardian article is too "leftie" for you, here's NASA and a few more links: https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=scientific+consenseu+climate+change
    https://www.iflscience.com/environment/consensus-confirmed-over-90-climate-scientists-believe-we-re-causing-global-warming/

That took me all of about 5 seconds of google to bring up. Figures between 90% and 99%.

Before anyone does it, there are links out there that claim the otherwise. The point is that 95-98% of scientists are of the opinion based on their research that climate change, which this person's journey is highlighting, is human caused and we need to change. That's non-refutable at this point.

• Advertisement

should everyone?

thats the cogent question

if the bar is as low as could be suggested by greta being an accepted speaker, then fcukit yes, we should all get the nod

Really, have you attracted millions to follow your example?

If so, I'm sure there's a microphone for you.

How about those of us who are not furious or even angry, just confused and disappointed, that anyone could argue against the point (and not the journey) that is being made and thing that it's a in the better interest to argue against it?

If a Guardian article is too "leftie" for you, here's NASA and a few more links: https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=scientific+consenseu+climate+change
    https://www.iflscience.com/environment/consensus-confirmed-over-90-climate-scientists-believe-we-re-causing-global-warming/

That took me all of about 5 seconds of google to bring up. Figures between 90% and 99%.

Before anyone does it, there are links out there that claim the otherwise. The point is that 95-98% of scientists are of the opinion based on their research that climate change, which this person's journey is highlighting, is human caused and we need to change. That's non-refutable at this point.

Some people here don't think NASA are appropriate commentators on scientific matters....

so all anyone needs to do is five seconds googling

that doesnt sound like an argument supporting the type of ego/publicity trip in discussion

nb not everyone bugged by this type of memeification crap denies climate change

If so, I'm sure there's a microphone for you.

so greta should be in line behind whatever issues are bothering kim kardashian, miley cyrus and whatever other youtubers my niece follows for their fortnite prowess?

look.....no

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

We can all have free sailing holiday ?

When asked about anything just say " i don't know yet "

yay !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

That explains it.

Take a lead out of her book, and start your protest to get whatever attention it is you want for your views.
    If there's merit to your ideas, you'll get the attention she has gotten.

This is so untrue as to be quite ludicrous. No, protesting doesn't always make the masses see the right way forward. I can't remember exactly what we argued about before only that you were full of crap that time as well.

Right, I'm done here for now. Time to re-evaluate how I use my time online, my general decisions in life and how it ever came to this point. Have a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,385 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

so all anyone needs to do is five seconds googling

that doesnt sound like an argument supporting the type of ego/publicity trip in discussion

nb not everyone bugged by this type of memeification crap denies climate change

Well argued. I really like the way you answer the points I made with well constructed arguments of your own and backed up your original points with evidence.

I realise evidence and actual reason isn't your thing (nor is, apparently, capital letters) but please go on.

You absolute ****ing spoon (here's where you can quote me for apparently resorting to personal insults). I'm done with you.
    Some people here don't think NASA are appropriate commentators on scientific matters....

Some people are idiots who have the same vote and right to an opinion as other people.

gozunda wrote: »
    Doesnt have to have been made for any one journey. Just the one gretas supporters are claiming is completely emission free. Do the proper calculations which include how the means of transport is made and of what and it certainly is not.

As one of her more enthusiastic supporters - you really don't seem to have listened to much of what she has said tbh. Yes she has called for a complete ban on the use of all fossil fuels etc. Once again she is saying one thing and apparently doing another. People are going to point that out whether you like it otherwise.

Can you link to her calling for a complete ban?
    I'm pretty sure her message is that solutions are needed but they are as yet unknown m

Why do you hate her?

We've had disbelief there's a climate problem, disbelief it's caused by humans, don't think children should be telling adults anything, jealousy and just don't give a f*ck?

What's your reason, ticked because she didn't teleport from Sweden to NY?

Right, I'm done here for now. Time to re-evaluate how I use my time online, my general decisions in life and how it ever came to this point. Have a good night.

Good decision.

Well argued. I really like the way you answer the points I made with well constructed arguments of your own and backed up your original points with evidence.

I realise evidence and actual reason isn't your thing (nor is, apparently, capital letters) but please go on.

You absolute ****ing spoon (here's where you can quote me for apparently resorting to personal insults). I'm done with you.

Some people are idiots who unfortunately have the same vote and right to an opinion as other people.

you raised no point other than to attempt equating cynicism about the greta lovebombing with climate change denial.

i declined to accept that, thanks.

and yeah textbook resorting to personal abuse but dont worry, youre on the right-on side of a current topic so im going to presume non-action based on ongoing observations

yay !

You'll need something to lead to the owners of such a boat offering to sail you somewhere. I seriously doubt your personality will be enough to swing an invite.

If you read through the thread - that by no means is the singular objection to the dog and pony show which is the child gretas journey. What climate change is about and what greta believes are evidently not one and the same thing. Take a read through the thread and them come back and pick up the discussion where it is at.

Can you link to her calling for a complete ban? I'm pretty sure her message is that solutions are needed but they are as yet unknown Why do you hate her?We've had disbelief there's a climate problem, disbelief it's caused by humans, don't think children should be telling adults anything, jealousy and just don't give a f*ck?
    What's your reason, ticked because she didn't teleport from Sweden to NY?

Why the need to be hand fed what she has said in a bunch of her videos? You're the one backing her to the hilt. Here's some quotes including the one she repeats again and again about keeping gossil fuels in the ground
    https://eco-age.com/news/greta-thunbergs-best-quotes. And no I do not 'hate' her (sic). Being objective about what someone does or says is not 'hating' them. Seriously that is basic comprehension 101.

Kids who believe the world ends in 11 years 4 months and 12 days or whatever, that believe we should 'panic' and we should 'feel her fear' dont need other eejits hanging on their every word applauding her. No idea why some can't seem to understand that tbh.

It's like you haven't been listening at all over the last whatever number of pages and have your fingers stuck in your ears singing la la la la ...

Did you miss the bit about using skype and are you just making it up at this stage? That's what it reads like tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Not everyone is as thick as Donald Trump.
    Sun all the time isn't a good thing.

Yeh that Trump guy is so dumb, I mean it’s not like he’s a billionaire president of the most powerful country on earth or anything.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Is this the new tactic now?

No I just find it all very pervie.
    Anyway this trip has backfired badly. She’s toxic now, everything she does from now on will be controversial.
    However I feel the real goal of this stunt has been achieved, a Nobel prize is all but locked up, they love this sort of tripe. Fair play to her handlers, they played a blinder.

• Advertisement

#hypocrites

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

yay !

You'll need something to lead to the owners of such a boat offering to sail you somewhere. I seriously doubt your personality will be enough to swing an invite.

What's with the personal stuff ?

Upset people are not feeding your little fantasy ?

vladmydad wrote: »
    Yeh that Trump guy is so dumb, I mean it’s not like he’s a billionaire president of the most powerful country on earth or anything.

Yep, he's dumb. Been bankrupt x number of times, doesn't understand climate change, thought there were airports around over 200 of years ago.
    Anyway this trip has backfired badly. She’s toxic now, everything she does from now on will be controversial.
    However I feel the real goal of this stunt has been achieved, a Nobel prize is all but locked up, they love this sort of tripe. Fair play to her handlers, they played a blinder.

We already seen a variety of reasons people don't like her (see a few posts ago), I reckon yours is indeed because if blind loyalty to Donald Trump. My friends enemy is my enemy kind of thing. I know it would tick him off were she to get a Nobel prize.

What's with the personal stuff ?

Upset people are not feeding your little fantasy ?

Hey, just a soft reminder that you need a valid reason to make people think you are worthy of offering their boat to you.
    Forewarned is forearmed kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,766 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She has always been controversial to a certain type of person.

gozunda wrote: »
    Why the need to be hand fed what she has said in a bunch of her videos? You're the one backing her to the hilt. Here's some quotes including the one she repeats again and again about keeping gossil fuels in the ground
    https://eco-age.com/news/greta-thunbergs-best-quotes. And no I do not 'hate' her (sic). Being objective about what someone does or says is not 'hating' them. Seriously that is basic comprehension 101.

Kids who believe the world ends in 11 years 4 months and 12 days or whatever, that believe we should 'panic' and we should 'feel her fear' dont need other eejits hanging on their every word applauding her. No idea why some can't seem to understand that tbh.

It's like you haven't been listening at all over the last whatever number of pages and have your fingers stuck in your ears singing la la la la ...

Did you miss the bit about using skype and are you just making it up at this stage? That's what it reads like tbh.

Saying we should keep fossil fuels in the ground is not the same as saying we should call for a complete ban. But you know that. On the same page of quotes she says we need to find solutions.

I'm not surprised why you can't understand stuff, you're getting caught up in the timeframe like as if that's wrong then everything is a lie.

Does it really matter if it's 12, 30 or 100 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Is it being used?

Have you ever tried to sail into a marina? What happens when the boat is becalmed, will they let the boat drift or crank up the ole engine?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to sail into a marina? What happens when the boat is becalmed, will they let the boat drift or crank up the ole engine?

If they do use it as such, does that negate the message if the trip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

If she wins a Nobel prize then I truly believe that we really are doomed.

• Advertisement

Hal3000 wrote: »
    If she wins a Nobel prize then I truly believe that we really are doomed.

You mean you'll realize that her message was correct and something must be done about it?

I'm sure it would really be the icing on the cake if winning such an award convinced people who previously couldn't figure it out that changes are necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement