Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Why do you dislike her so much, it seems to go way beyond disagreement. You think I am being deliberately naive, what do you think your position comes across as?

Why do you keep on using that subjective rubbish instead of discussion? You keep saying that to anyone who you do not agree with. A bit odd no?

And no I do not 'dislike' her , I do not 'hate' her (sic). Being objective about what someone does or says is not 'hating' them. Seriously that is basic comprehension 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Attack the people making the argument, not the argument. You are doing exactly what posters attacking Greta have been criticized for. Complete hypocrisy.

Let me get this right. I should address an argument to the people personally attacking Greta? Through the looking glass here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I think it is more Greta's validity in this whole issue people are questioning

joe40 wrote: »
    You keep describing her message as hysteria. You come across as someone that is deperate to attack the message, so instead attack the messenger.
    If she was simply some silly little teenager, she would not have this exposure in international media.Unless of course the climate change thing is all a hoax and majority of the world's government are in on it.Infowars stuff.

If it sounds like a duck and walks like a duck - then the chances are it's a duck.

But no many people are labelling gretas public spoutings as hysteria and not just people here. Here are just 2 random examples. There are many more.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/24226
    https://motls.blogspot.com/2019/03/greta-thunberg-when-discussion-becomes.html?m=1

There is even a whole bunch of posters here that say that yes climate change is real and still dont like the exaggeration and hysteria of her 'message' or how she is being manipulated.

As to attacking the messenger - Yup that's exactly what you are doing. You may not like others being objective about what the child greta does or says and discussing same. But I can't help you with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

gozunda wrote: »
    If it sounds like a duck and walks like a duck - then the chances are it's a duck.

But no many people are labelling gretas public spoutings as hysteria and not just people here.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Articles/Article.aspx/24226
    https://motls.blogspot.com/2019/03/greta-thunberg-when-discussion-becomes.html?m=1

As to attacking the messenger - Yup that's exactly what you are doing. You may not like others being objective about what the child greta does or says and discussing same. But I can't help you with that.

You really going to post sh*t like that in the same post as talking being objective?

The byline from the second website literally says that it is posting from a conservative viewpoint. And the first Israeli website seems more eager to denigrate her because of her attending the French Parliament.

"A collapsing country's parliament prostrated itself grotesquely before a teenager in shorts."

You're right about the duck analogy.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

micosoft wrote: »
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Attack the people making the argument, not the argument. You are doing exactly what posters attacking Greta have been criticized for. Complete hypocrisy.

Let me get this right. I should address an argument to the people personally attacking Greta? Through the looking glass here.

Through the looking glass indeed. You are condemning personal attacks by engaging in personal attacks. It’s a childish, anyone who calls Greta stupid must be stupid approach.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

You really going to post sh*t like that in the same post as talking being objective?The byline from the second website literally says that it is posting from a conservative viewpoint. And the first Israeli website seems more eager to denigrate her because of her attending the French Parliament. A collapsing country's parliament prostrated itself grotesquely before a teenager in shorts."You're right about the duck analogy.....

They're were provided as only two examples of many many such opinions that gretas spoutings are indeed hysteria. Do you not understand that?

But because a source may not suit your extreme left wing bias - you get to ignore it lol.

You've been posting non stop and replying and throwing mud at every single objective comment that points out the problems and issue with gretas mad march.

And as for ducks let's introduce another analogy - pots- specifically pots and kettles. You claim other posters are getting erratic in yet another one of your daft in-thread personalisations and attacks.

The problem is you haven't put forward one single argument which shows that the criticisms others have detailed in thread are not correct.
    You are just appear to be magically flag waving and come across as knowing nothing about the topic tbh.

So I would suggest you put down your phone or laptop or whatever and walk away from the huge hole you've dug yourself before you fall in completely.

They're only two examples of many many such opinions that gretas spoutings are indeed hysteria. Do you not understand that?

But because a source may not suit your extreme left wing bias - you get to ignore it lol.

You've been posting non stop and replying and throwing mud at every single comment that points out the problems and issue with gretas mad march.

And as for ducks let's introduce another analogy - pots- specifically pots and kettles. You claim other posters are getting erratic in yet another one of your daft in-thread personalisations and attacks.

The problem is you haven't put forward one single argument which shows that the criticisms others have detailed in thread are not correct.
    You are just appear to be magically flag waving and come across as knowing nothing about the topic tbh.

So I would suggest you put down your phone or laptop or whatever and walk away from the huge hole you've dug yourself before you fall in completely.

Nice work using the pot kettle analogy, I did the same a few hours ago.
    Hello pot, kettle here.

Further evidence you are either not reading, or not understanding the arguments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

A drone shot of the yacht. Nice!

https://twitter.com/borisherrmann/status/1163191146736234500?s=09

Day 6 now. Almost half way there.

Here is the live tracker of the yacht: https://www.windy.com/greta-thunberg

Nice work using the pot kettle analogy, I did the same a few hours ago.Further evidence you are either not reading, or not understanding the arguments here.

Further evidence I think you do not understand or are ignoring what is being said by many many posters here

And you see that's not an arguement. It's an analogy - as was pointed out to you previously and you have repeated here - so 1 out if 10 for that at least. And it was pointed our to you because of the repeated attacks on those you do not agree with and I'm not the only one saying that btw. But as I said that kind of stuff is basic 101 comprehension.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    A drone shot of the yacht. Nice!

https://twitter.com/borisherrmann/status/1163191146736234500?s=09
    Day 6 now. Almost half way there.
    Here is the live tracker of the yacht: https://www.windy.com/greta-thunberg

Looks quite a bit less than half way tbh. I believe the estimate was approximately 2 weeks travel as they are against the wind. Also looks they had to make some serious detours to avoid a huge storm in their direct path. Some other serious looking weather out there tbh. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Looks quite a bit less than half wat tbh. I believe the estimate was approximately 2 weeks travel as they are against the wind. Also looks they had to make some serious detours to avoid a huge storm in their direct path. Some other serious looking weather out there tbh.

Yes struggling to zoom out on phone there. Looks round a third maybe on map? Was think almost half way purely by days. So will be a bit longer by the looks! Be some experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Today RTE asks..."Why is it so difficult to make a long-term weather forecast?"

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2019/0816/1069141-why-is-it-so-difficult-to-make-a-long-term-weather-forecast/

Nonsense. Shur a chlld could make a long term weather forecast.

Further evidence I think you do not understand what is being said by many many posters here

And you see that's not an arguement. It's an analogy - as was pointed out to you previously and you have repeated here - so 1 out if 10 for that at least. And it was pointed our to you because of the repeated attacks on those you do not agree with But as I said that kind of stuff is basic 101 comprehension.

I have probably the most posts on this thread at this point.
    I have asked several posters why they are annoyed and gotten a variety of answers including that Greta is being manipulated, that it is child endangerment, their disbelief that climate change is abnormal, their disbelief that humans are responsible, that they just don't give a f*ck and that they are jealous.

You have given no answer. Stating repeatedly that I must accept your arguments posted here does not mean I have to, or that I do. You, for all your posts (probably high up on the post count here yourself), are still in the category of I don't know what you are saying other than that you are outraged.

Asking someone to defend or explain their position is not attacking them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

I haven't been following the transatlantic junketing of the Norwegian bint with much interest, but as I lowered my third bottle of Black's delicious KPA last night I idly wondered what the main difference is between her and Chicken Licken. Rack my brains as I might, I couldn't answer that question to my satisfaction. Can anyone help?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Take the bus instead of driving to avoid a tax
    Reality: there is no bus

Oh sure I know.
    I meant it more along the lines of incentivising people to buy electric cars (or whatever), seems to more productive than just taxing everything.
    Carrot and stick approach, I guess.

Portsalon wrote: »
    I haven't been following the transatlantic junketing of the Norwegian bint with much interest, but as I lowered my third bottle of Black's delicious KPA last night I idly wondered what the main difference is between her and Chicken Licken. Rack my brains as I might, I couldn't answer that question to my satisfaction. Can anyone help?

3 bottles of Black's KPA is about your limit I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Well I know what they have in common. Chicken Licken didn’t fly either.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

3 bottles of Black's KPA is about your limit I'd say.

It's any sensible drinker's limit. Although I did top it off with a large glass of Roe's, which is a really nice whiskey. All in all, it was a nice way to commemorate my XXth wedding anniversary.

I wonder will young Greta ever find a man (or woman) stupid enough to marry her.

It's any sensible drinker's limit. Although I did top it off with a large glass of Roe's, which is a really nice whiskey. All in all, it was a nice way to commemorate my XXth wedding anniversary.

I wonder will young Greta ever find a man (or woman) stupid enough to marry her.

Well, you apparently did (though this is the internet and we've to take your word for it) so I'd say she'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

She'll be grand. Her challenges in life are not CAGW.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

:D I wonder who the foxman in this story represents... I mean the taxman.. I mean the fox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Calling a child a 'bint'? Nice. Does she threaten you that much?

I have probably the most posts on this thread at this point. I have asked several posters why they are annoyed and gotten a variety of answers including that Greta is being manipulated, that it is child endangerment, their disbelief that climate change is abnormal, their disbelief that humans are responsible, that they just don't give a f*ck and that they are jealous.You have given no answer. Stating repeatedly that I must accept your arguments posted here does not mean I have to, or that I do. You, for all your posts (probably high up on the post count here yourself), are still in the category of I don't know what you are saying other than that you are outraged.Asking someone to defend or explain their position is not attacking them.

Lol no **** sherlock. Yes indeed you do. And yes you have attempted to dominate the entire thread. Plenty of people have given reasoned arguments why the figurehead of the child greta is not something to be feted for very many reasons. And not just your list of trite and rather stupid attacks.

You really have not read what anyone has posted if you hilariously believe they have not given a wide range of referenced and detailed arguments why this so.

But continue attacking every other poster who you do not agree with. And it is not just me saying that btw. Continue misreporting what they are saying. Continue attempt to dominate and drown out every single comment anyone has posted here with utter bile and you'll get told the same again and again.

None of it washes. Tbh the more you go on in that vein - the more ridiculous your comments have become. The fact is you have not provided a single valid argument in support of the child greta. And that's where we at. If the truth hurts - then I feel tuely sorry for you.

No **** sherlock. Yes indeed you do. And yes you have attempted to dominate the entire thread. Plenty of people have given reasoned arguments why the figurehead of the child greta is not something to be feted for very many reasons. And not just your list of trite and rather stupid attacks.

You really have not read what anyone havs posted if you hilariously believe they have not given a range of referenced and detailed arguments why this so.

But continue attacking every other poster who you do not agree with. And it is not jusylt me saying that bte. Continue misreporting what they are saying. Continue attempt to dominate and drown out every single comment anyone has posted here with utter bile and you'll get untold the same again and again.

None of it washes. Tbh the more you go on in that vein - the more ridiculous your comments have become. The fact is you have not provided a single valid argument in support of the child greta. And that's where we at. If the truth hurts - then I feel tuely sorry for you.

Still don't know what your argument is.

Hint: read the actual thread and try and understand the ongoing discussion. It might help. I leave you at it.

Hint: read the actual thread and try and understand the ongoing discussion. It might help. I leave you at it.

Read it already and asked questions where I wanted to understand what someone was saying.
    Got answers from many.
    Except from one......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

You're relentless.

There are arguments to both sides. It's not your way of the highway as you would like to believe. I have stated my views and Greta is a self absorbed spoilt teen. Read her Wiki bio and that will give you an indication of what she is like.

If it was Attenborough giving the speech i'd take notice, not some teenager with Aspergers and whatever else she has

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yes struggling to zoom out on phone there. Looks round a third maybe on map? Was think almost half way purely by days. So will be a bit longer by the looks! Be some experience!

Interesting article about the boat here

https://www.france24.com/en/20190813-cramped-and-basic-greta-thunberg-s-voyage-to-new-york

One of the things they refer to is the toilet facilities or lack of. I don't understand though how ****ting in a bucket lined with a plastic bag and lobbing it into the ocean is good for the aquatic environment. Even if the bag is supposedly biodegradable If something eats that plus the plastic - then the chances are it's certainly not going to do them any good. Id prefer to see it hermetically stored and disposed of when they reached land tbh.

I wonder what her views are on this issue ...

Edit: just reading up her biog and it relates how her "teachers showed ...films of plastic in the ocean, starving polar bears and so on." After which she got extremely upset and started self harming and did that etc ...

Later in 2018 - she handed out leaflets outside the Riksdag before the Swedish general election which detailed that "I am doing this because you adults are ****ting on my future."

Well greta you are now responsible for throwing plastic in the ocean and directly ****ing on the same oceans marine life.

A case of do as I say and not do what I do ...

• Advertisement

Read it already and asked questions where I wanted to understand what someone was saying.
    Got answers from many.Except from one......

But still you do not understand and clearly not read what was written. The discussion is not about you - so can't help you there. Ok by you if the rest of us get back to the discussion now?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement