Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greta and the aristocrat sail the high seas to save the planet.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It must be tough seamie not getting a promotion to MOD after 60k posts, but i can see why with your passive agressive style of posting

Now get down off that big horse of yours
    :D:D:D:D

At least we know you're not some sad re-reg anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

Also do these greeny obsessed people know that reducing our emissions etc does not solve the problem? There is a finite level of emissions we can produce before it all goes to ****e anyways.

It's not like if we cut emissions by 50% the earth can handle it and things will stay as they are now, things will get worse but just half as fast.

So, it doesn't really matter what we do. It's either we experience the extremes of climate ourselves or else we just kick the can down the road so 2 or 3 generations time experience it. I see no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

And while you are at it where are we going to get food to eat whether you like meat or vegetables, water to drink? Have you factored in geopolitical risk of running such an economy in Ireland?

Well there wont be much water left to drink the way farmers are polluting it these days.

I'll eat beef and dairy every day, we just need to only produce 10% of what we're currently producing and everyone in Ireland can eat beef and dairy every day. We can give the other 90% of land used for exported beef and dairy back to nature. How bout dat?

Well there wont be much water left to drink the way farmers are polluting it these days.

I'll eat beef and dairy every day, we just need to only produce 10% of what we're currently producing and everyone in Ireland can eat beef and dairy every day. We can give the other 90% of land used for exported beef and dairy back to nature. How bout dat?

The farmers aren't the ones pumping human waste into the sea are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

jesus christ above seamus that's embarrassing grandstanding/hardmanning tbh.

nb in any future apocalypse scenario the first against the wall will be the poor and the powerless, as it ever was. your revenge fantasy on people who dont pay you appropriate attn is just that.
    Not really. As they say "when the poor have nothing left to eat, they will eat the rich".

This isn't a situation that has any historical analogue. Eventually money will be meaningless, no way to buy yourself out of it. The elites have always relied on their money to buy them protection from revolutions and uprisings using the poor as a shield. But when that money is worthless, they have nowhere to go.

• Advertisement

The farmers aren't the ones pumping human waste into the sea are they?

They're pumping all kinds of stuff into rivers though. And it's down to poor management of our country at a governmental level that there's sewage going into the sea, I hope it improves over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Your reply reminds me of an old joke.
    Once upon a time in the kingdom of Heaven, God went missing for seven days.

Eventually, Michael the archangel found him. He inquired of God, "where were you?".

God sighed a deep sigh of satisfaction and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds; "look son, look what I'm after making".

Archangel Michael looked puzzled and said, "what is it?"

God replied, "it's another planet but I'm after putting LIFE on it. I've named it Earth and there's going to be a balance between everything on it. For example, there's North America and South America. North America is going to be rich and south America is going to be poor, and the narrow bit joining them - that's going to be a hot spot. Now look over

here. I've put a continent of whites in the north and another one of blacks in the south. And then the archangel said, "and what's that green dot there?". And God said "ahhh that's the Emerald Isle - that's a very special place. That's going to be the most glorious spot on earth; Beautiful Mountains, lakes, rivers, streams, and an exquisite coast line. These people here are going to be great craic and they're going to be found traveling the world. They'll be playwrights and poets and singers and songwriters. And I'm going to give them this black liquid which they're going to go mad on and for which people will come from the far corners of the earth to imbibe. Michael the Archangel gasped in wonder and admiration but then seeming startled proclaimed: "Hold on a second, what about the BALANCE, you said there was going to be a balance..

God replied wisely. "Wait until you see the neighbours I'm going to give them"

You ignored geopolitical risk and what bought the English in the first place, if you are going to leave so much land idle then you are going to attract the attention of our sometimes troublesome neighbour who has many more mouths to feed. It is better to trade with them.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Yeah I don't for a second think we're going to change anything in Ireland, but worldwide we need to be giving land back to nature and changing our diets, along with stopping our reliance on fossil fuels, if we want to fix this mess. I wont hold my breath though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

seamus wrote: »
    Probably because I put it up myself. I'll reuse it every time I see fit, thanks. It's a common theme from the same few heads. "What are YOU doing then, huh? huh?"

It's a fallacious argument which proposes anyone who is not flawlessly perfect and beyond criticism is not allowed to criticise anything.

This is the default go-to of selfish simpletons who doesn't want to discuss the issue at hand and would rather not have to change anything about themselves.

The implication is that if you're not out on the streets fighting off rapists, then you must implicitly support them. Which is plainly stupid.

And ditto others will use what they see fit by way of cartoonery. As with the one I used - it's a case of highlighting the usual 'look at them over there'! We are square on that one - so good.

As to the highlighted bit - I quite agree. And yet you come out with tripe like this when others highlight and criticise a frankly repetitively stupid and divisive post...
    seamus wrote:
    This is the usual divisive bollox that gets pushed in the hope that people align themselves on one side or another and so nothing gets done while everyone points fingers at one another.

Double standards applied to others maybe?

You shouldn't really be surprised by this.

As the ecosystem begins to fail, food begins running scarce. Governments will begin to fall and people will get desperate. They will take their anger and frustration out on the institutions and the people that allowed it to happen.

If an ecosystem begins to fail, the people leave, most are not willing to stick around and starve. The Ethiopian famine was caused by war. Agrarian societies have learned to live in their ecosystems is it when these are disturbed by government that famine occurs.

The evidence of warmer world and increase in C02 levels has been demonstrated to be net positive for humanity. If you want to see the greatest ever ecological disaster caused by man then look at what happened in the region of the Aral sea.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

Yeah I don't for a second think we're going to change anything in Ireland, but worldwide we need to be giving land back to nature and changing our diets, along with stopping our reliance on fossil fuels, if we want to fix this mess. I wont hold my breath though.

Don't be so selfish you personally can improve the planet by taking that one simple step. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Don't be so selfish you personally can improve the planet by taking that one simple step. :p

But if we just breath but nothing else - then we can all save the planet as well

*Warning* Even more lunacy :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

well I've no kids, that's a start :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Not really. As they say "when the poor have nothing left to eat, they will eat the rich".

This isn't a situation that has any historical analogue. Eventually money will be meaningless, no way to buy yourself out of it. The elites have always relied on their money to buy them protection from revolutions and uprisings using the poor as a shield. But when that money is worthless, they have nowhere to go.

Not the Vegans. Maybe the rich's garden!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

Also do these greeny obsessed people know that reducing our emissions etc does not solve the problem? There is a finite level of emissions we can produce before it all goes to ****e anyways.

It's not like if we cut emissions by 50% the earth can handle it and things will stay as they are now, things will get worse but just half as fast.

So, it doesn't really matter what we do. It's either we experience the extremes of climate ourselves or else we just kick the can down the road so 2 or 3 generations time experience it. I see no difference.

Yeah and we shouldn't bother trying to treat people with cancer because they'll just die eventually anyway.

quokula wrote: »
    Yeah and we shouldn't bother trying to treat people with cancer because they'll just die eventually anyway.

If someone has a disease and you don't know whats causing it, should you zap them with radiation anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

If someone has a disease and you don't know whats causing it, should you zap them with radiation anyway??

I know people that have had radiation treatment, I'd say they d all say, fcuk yea!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I know people that have had radiation treatment, I'd say they d all say, fcuk yea!

Did they have it for a something that they knew radiotherapy would work on? Or did they go in with a sore leg/arm and get it? We don't know how to cure whiplash, maybe radiotherapy would work on that?? Or the common cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,579 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Did they have it for a something that they knew radiotherapy would work on? Or did they go in with a sore leg/arm and get it?

Mostly for the craic

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Mostly for the craic

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

It's funny how anti environmentalists are

anti social welfare
    anti cyclists
    anti getting cars out of towns/cities
    anti immigration
    anti changing the clocks to summer time all year
    anti any kind of change

quokula wrote: »

Hardly the same...

People with cancer are alive and you're not transferring cancer onto someone else by saving them are you?

You're talking about impacting the lives of billions negatively in the hope things will be better for people who are centuries away from being conceived...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

anti social welfare
    anti cyclists
    anti immigration
    anti any kind of change
    I think that's all BS in fairness. There have been lots of good environmental suggestions in this thread already, including from people who don't believe in climate Armageddon 11.5 years from now.

And clocks? WTF is that about?

Whats your own position on nuclear power?
    Wind farms?
    Its "environmentalists" that normally oppose these kind of solutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It is no coincidence that St. Greta was able to cross the Atlantic Ocean without being troubled by any pirates.
    ...as the number of pirates in the world has decreased over the past 130 years, global warming has gotten steadily worse. In fact, this makes it entirely clear that if you truly want to stop global warming, the most impactful thing to do is -- become a pirate.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaandersen/2012/03/23/true-fact-the-lack-of-pirates-is-causing-global-warming/#57de64c63a67

Article by Erika Andersen, who may or may not be a jealous cousin of Greta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

recedite wrote: »
    It is no coincidence that St. Greta was able to cross the Atlantic Ocean without being troubled by any pirates.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikaandersen/2012/03/23/true-fact-the-lack-of-pirates-is-causing-global-warming/#57de64c63a67

Article by Erika Andersen, who may or may not be a jealous cousin of Greta.

You know she's a kid right?

recedite wrote: »
    I think that's all BS in fairness. There have been lots of good environmental suggestions in this thread already, including from people who don't believe in climate Armageddon 11.5 years from now.

And clocks? WTF is that about?

Whats your own position on nuclear power?
    Wind farms?
    Its "environmentalists" that normally oppose these kind of solutions.

Nuclear power is the only viable solution to cheap clean energy. Wind farms, I don't know enough about them to comment.
    I'd take a stab at the regular anti greta posters here wouldn't want the clocks to stay on summertime. I'm just using it as an example of how any kind of change gets them rabbling.

anti social welfare
    anti cyclists
    anti immigration
    anti any kind of change

I don't know how you are drawing these conclusions. I find those who purport to be environmentalists or claim to be in their side severely lacking when it comes to thinking about the implications of their actions. They are like children at the checkout who pester Mammy to buy brightly coloured sugary sweets and snacks and throw a tantrum when they don't get their way.

Cyclists are not going to do much for you when you factor in the effects of the planning system that has forced people out to suburbia and beyond who then have to commute to work. Excluding cars from towns and cities creates a doughnut effect as the people travel to the outskirts or out of town locations and avoid the centre and as a consequence the centre of many towns look shabby, run-down which lots of for rent signs (have a nose around Dun Laoghaire) . For instance I was looking for some some cycling winter gear last weekend and had to cycle to the outskirts to get what I wanted though I could have saved myself the effort and ordered online.

The anti-immigration argument is an environmentalist one as more people as more pollution and pressure on environmental resources.

There have been several arguments against corporate welfare on this thread rather than social welfare, since you bought it up the arguments against the Greens have been their action hurt the poorest people and I provided an example of the unintended side effects of their legislation that resulted in the death of a homeless man from exposure. I should also advance the argument that their actions will collapse the social welfare system since there will be no surplus income to support this due to more resources being squandered on expensive, unreliable and inefficient technology. Anyway my view is that a wave of sovereign debt collapse and bond market chaos is not far off and that will put paid to the Green boondoggles for a while and the system re-adjusts to economic limits.

You know she's a kid right?

She's a a young adult at 16 years old. That does not stop the adults around her treating her as a kid.

their legislation that resulted in the death of a homeless man from exposure.

that guy was not a product of the state. He could have lived in a house if he wanted.

• Advertisement

that guy was not a product of the state. He could have lived in a house if he wanted.

He could indeed have lived in a house or maybe not. I personally knew several of those guys who got kicked out of their bedsits in 2013 when the council came through with their inspections on foot of that legislation. One of them even held a post as a TCD professor at the height of his career before a fondness for the juice got him fired. All of those men in their 30s and 40s, generally rejected from polite society and too embarrassed to return home, several were divorced so no options to go to. The Summer was fine that year so they initially camped out in the Phoenix Park, the council cleared the undergrowth to discourage them, when Winter came they moved on towards the city center. Single men with problems often self inflicted rank lowest on the poverty line.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement