Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

File Explorer constantly hanging

Options
  • 14-08-2019 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've an 18 month old Win 10 Lenovo T580 laptop.

It performs very well with the exception of File Explorer which frequently (once every few days) stops working.

The only fix I have found is to follow these steps:-

Action #1- Press the Windows key & X key together then choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu.

Then type "sfc /scannow" and hit return. Wait for the scan to finish and if any problems identified follow / research instructions on how to fix.

Action #2 when the scan is complete - type "netsh" in Command Prompt and press Enter

Then type "winsock reset" into Command Prompt and hit Enter to run it.

Once winsock reset is complete restart the computer and check that File Explorer is working correctly.

To date the above has done the trick but recently "sfc /scannow" has confirmed corrupt files exist but I'm not sure how to go about fixing the problem.

Scannow-result.jpg

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

What disk it has(model, HDD/SDD, size total/free)

Regard File explorer, check Event Viewer or go:
    Win+R >> type: perfmon /rel >>hit Enter

Error you getting from sfc indicative your Windows installation/system files corrupted or disk itself at the edge of failure

What do you see in CBS.log file? It can be opened with Notepad(depending on log file size will take time to load ) . Run CMD as admin, type:
    notepad c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log

Where you can attempt to repair Windows by other means*, completed disk failure might render all your data gone.

* https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2895-run-sfc-command-windows-10-a.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Thanks Smuggler, that's both helpful and scary!!

Thankfully all my data is sync'd to either Dropbox or OneDrive.

Advertisement