Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amendment of online order

Options
  • 14-08-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭

I ordered two items at an online store and paid for delivery, both items appeared as being in stock.

I then received an email stating my order had been amended due to non-availability of one of the items. I was not given any option to cancel or to substitute the item with another. I queried this with the retailer this morning who inform me that my order can't be cancelled as it is too-far progressed.

I am left paying the full shipping charge but only receiving one item. Support tell me that I can return this item but will have to cover the return shipping costs myself and the original shipping won't be refunded either.

What are my rights in this position? I was happy to pay for the shipping to cover both items so I would like to either have my entire order cancelled and refunded or a replacement item shipped to me at no cost (I would make up any difference in price of the replacement items).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Alkers wrote: »
    I would like to either have my entire order cancelled and refunded or a replacement item shipped to me at no cost (I would make up any difference in price of the replacement items).

This seems like a fair solution. You have paid for 2 items to be delivered at no extra cost. Now you are only receiving one item and if you were to order the second you will incur additional charges.

I would ask to speak to somebody more senior that might be able to make a decision on what to do. What you have suggested is not unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

sensible course of action = refuse to accept delivery.

items are returned to retailer - not at your expense. If there is a problem with refund you can do a chargeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

sensible course of action = refuse to accept delivery.

items are returned to retailer - not at your expense. If there is a problem with refund you can do a chargeback.

Does this work? I think it may be parcel motel but I will check this out thanks

it does normally work, but if parcel motel accept the delivery, you are banjaxed.

you can follow the returns procedure of the online retailer, but then as you noted you lose the delivery cost, as it is a change of mind scenario. ccpc say that's acceptable.
    You must also return the item within 14 days from the day you cancelled. If you cancel the order because you change your mind, you may have to pay for the cost of returning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

it does normally work, but if parcel motel accept the delivery, you are banjaxed.

Ok it's not parcel motel, how do I go about refusing the delivery?

• Advertisement

when the parcel/courier asks for a signature, you refuse to accept. "no thanks i am refusing to accept that"

Advertisement