Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equality or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think it’s a real nice gesture, but it’s not gonna work globally given the disparity in the income being generated.

It’s not an industry of equal pay for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

When the same amount of people watch the women's game as watch the men's game then the players should be on equal pay... at the moment the men's game generates more money than the women's game so therefore it's quite natural that the men should be paid more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭garra

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the Netherlands. One potential impact is that clubs will cut their women's teams or offload them to a separate company in order to compete commercially. If an EPL club had to match it's women's wages with its men's team tomorrow, they would go bust instantly.

I'm not against the idea, or the ethos of regulating employment laws against the wishes of commerce.. for instance the directive in South Africa to employ quotas of black people has marginally improved the chances of all in that society to get ahead. Will be interesting to see where this leads, fair play to the Dutch for taking the initiative - they aren't afraid to challenge norms anyway.

I think this is DOA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

yeah that's what I was thinking that the FAs will just drop the women's teams. Initially for some reason I had it in my head they were employed by the State but of course it's the National FA's, which in not quite the Armageddon I had initially envisioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Jeez from Ajax, Inter Milan to Atlanta Utd.

Presume this can't apply to clubs where everyone is paid as an individual anyway, so there is no parity between club mates.

I can't imagine too many male international footballers worried about the payments they receive from internationals, so probably won't be a big deal whether the men's rate is dropped or women's increased.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems fair enough for the national teams. Can't and won't affect what players make at their clubs (which is all the players really care about) so de Boer is just making a mountain of a molehill imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

If it's the national teams playing international matches (rather than club teams), I don't see the problem.
    For the big stars, the international fee is negligible compared to their weekly wage, while for the women (as seen by the Irish women's team a few years back - https://www.the42.ie/ireland-womens-national-team-fai-pfai-3323123-Apr2017/), the appearance fee may be the difference between being able to play or not.

This BBC article, from around the time of last years World Cup, would seem to indicate the English (mens) team donate their match appearance to charity.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44683574

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So effectively, the income from the men's game is being used to pay the women. That's really fair, especially if the men are getting crowds in the 50,000 bracket and women are probably getting 7,000 nevermind the difference in prize money & sponsorship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Why don't the tiddly winks champions representing their country get the same fee was the footballers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So effectively, the income from the men's game is being used to pay the women. That's really fair, especially if the men are getting crowds in the 50,000 bracket and women are probably getting 7,000 nevermind the difference in prize money & sponsorship

I don’t really think fair ever comes into where the money generated within football goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

noodler wrote: »
    Why don't the tiddly winks champions representing their country get the same fee was the footballers?

Always one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

noodler wrote: »

Not the same FA as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Why don’t they just scrap the concept of “men’s” and “women’s” teams and just have one national team with each participant on the same money???

Can’t see too many women making the squads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You’re on the wrong side of history if you have an issue with this. It doesn’t make your argument wrong, but nonetheless you should be aware.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    You’re on the wrong side of history if you have an issue with this. It doesn’t make your argument wrong, but nonetheless you should be aware.

Maybe just bring in a new designation the same way we have roles and positions in the workplace to differentiate ,partly, on pay grounds.

To stop the secretary at the pharma company demanding Equal pay with the scientists because they work in the same field.

I apologize for the crass examples to hammer the point.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Always one.

Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Always one.

Its a fair comment. That is pretty much what is happeing anyway

Advertisement