Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss hasn't acknowledged my resignation, is ignoring calls

Options
  • 14-08-2019 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I work in a shop, one branch of a small chain. My boss works in different branch to me so I send my resignation my email, rather than in person. I sent the email early this morning, have received no reply. I've tried calling him several times to make sure he got it. He's not answering his personal phone and when I call the shop I keep being told he's busy. I have stated in my email the date that will be my last, in keeping with the 2 weeks notice I'm required to give. I'm due to start a new job directly after and I'm worried he can say he didn't see the email or something and I won't be able to leave on that date. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

You can of course leave on the date. You dont need a response, you have advised them of your resignation and of your last day ... job done.. I'm not sure what kind of response you are looking for.

Whether he sees it or not is his problem, the email is dated and states what day will be your last as per your notice period stipulated in your contract.

Serve your notice and off you go....

Congrats on the new job!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 JackB93

Thank you. I don't know, I've been here for years I thought there would be some sort of acknowledgement. Also I'm owed annual leave so would like to talk to him, just found it strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

JackB93 wrote: »
    Thank you. I don't know, I've been here for years I thought there would be some sort of acknowledgement. Also I'm owed annual leave so would like to talk to him, just found it strange.

To be honest it’s strange not to talk to him before your resignation. And to just send it by email

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

A lesson for the future, tell your manager in person first and then send a follow up e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

If he decides to ignore you until your 2 weeks are up, it shows how much he values his employees.. Not very much.

Besides, if you're moving onto a better paying job, congrats. Did he really expect you to stick around working in a shop forever?

• Advertisement

Ok. I didn't know the protocol as I've never resigned before. As I said my boss and I rarely work in the same shop, so I haven't seen him in a few months. I got the offer of the new job fairly suddenly, and I don't have any upcoming days off where I go to the shop he works in to resign in person. I'll know for the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I'd make sure this is officially confirmed so that you can be issued a P45 (I know the process has been reformed by Revenue lately to be more paperless but make sure it's acknowledged by your employer so that you are not paying emergency tax for longer than necessary in your new job)

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

ongarboy wrote: »
    I'd make sure this is officially confirmed so that you can be issued a P45 (I know the process has been reformed by Revenue lately to be more paperless but make sure it's acknowledged by your employer so that you are not paying emergency tax for longer than necessary in your new job)

You can go into "My Account" on www.revenue.ie and cease your own employment with your old employer. That way you can make sure you transfer your allowances to your new employer.

I would be worried that you may experience difficulties being paid for your outstanding leave. If you do not receive your final pay packet and your outstanding holiday pay, then contact Workplace Relations in Carlow. They are very helpful and will assist you in taking a case, if necessary.

Yeah I'm worried I won't be paid for it either. I carried over 2 weeks annual leave from last year but my boss made sure not to confirm that in writing, only in person. I've been talking to citizens info, they said it didn't need to be in writing that it was carried over but I'm not sure. I was actually advised by workplace relations to make a complaint in regards to not getting my entitled breaks but to be honest I'm afraid of my boss and I just want out of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I work in a shop, one branch of a small chain. My boss works in different branch to me so I send my resignation my email, rather than in person. I sent the email early this morning, have received no reply. I've tried calling him several times to make sure he got it. He's not answering his personal phone and when I call the shop I keep being told he's busy. I have stated in my email the date that will be my last, in keeping with the 2 weeks notice I'm required to give. I'm due to start a new job directly after and I'm worried he can say he didn't see the email or something and I won't be able to leave on that date. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Dont worry about it.
    You have given your notice and can leave on your specified date.
    You only gave your notice, give him some time to get caught up. He might just be busy.

In either case even if you never spoke or see him again, you can still leave. You could even leave right now if you wanted. There is realistically nothing a company can do to force you to stay. The only reason for working out your notice period is to get a good reference for future jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Once the email is sent, you're legally covered. You do not need any acknowledgement that he's even read it.

But as others say, for future reference it's good practice to tell your direct manager verbally in person, or if that's not possible then over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ongarboy wrote: »

P45 don't exist any more.
    Op needs an ASC45 but can stop employment on the revenue site

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

In fairness, you made this post a few hours after sending your resignation e-mail, and other staff members have told you he's busy, so I wouldn't be freaking out yet.

Did everything work out in the end?

No he still won't answer his phone.

No he still won't answer his phone.

That's ridiculous.

If it were me I'd send him a SMS saying "Please check your e-mail, I handed in my notice on the 14th of August. Thanks".

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

P45 don't exist any more.
    Op needs an ASC45 but can stop employment on the revenue site

An ASC45 is a public service requirement, it's most likely not applicable to OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Yeah I'm worried I won't be paid for it either. I carried over 2 weeks annual leave from last year but my boss made sure not to confirm that in writing, only in person. I've been talking to citizens info, they said it didn't need to be in writing that it was carried over but I'm not sure. I was actually advised by workplace relations to make a complaint in regards to not getting my entitled breaks but to be honest I'm afraid of my boss and I just want out of the place.

I'd send a second mail now along the lines of "Further to my notice of resignation sent on xxx date, please call me to discuss the arrangements for the payment of the yyy days annual leave that will be outstanding at my final date. Will that come through with my final pay slip?"

At least that way there's some writing now in case it comes up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

What if you took your annual leave now in lieu of working out your notice - just in case he doesn't pay you for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Text or Whatsapp to ask can he give you a call when he is free.

So a colleague of mine (technically my boss at the time) went through something similar. He gave his notice (three months) and one of the board members acknowledged it vocally, but everyone else ignored it.

His day to leave arrived, and they still didn't say anything or have a replacement lined up.

They then told him thanks and bye.

Extremely weird and badly handled by both parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Can you escalate by going over his head ? He’s being grossly unfair and unprofessional too. Send copies of the emails and any you receive to your personal email account too.

When escalating, forward the emails to which he choose not to reply to..

“I have sent several emails to xxxx which I have attached for you that have all gone without response or acknowledgement, I would like to know why this might be the case but restate as per the required notice period my last day will be August xx as clearly stated in all the above correspondences to xxxx.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    So a colleague of mine (technically my boss at the time) went through something similar. He gave his notice (three months) and one of the board members acknowledged it vocally, but everyone else ignored it.

His day to leave arrived, and they still didn't say anything or have a replacement lined up.

They then told him thanks and bye.

Extremely weird and badly handled by both parties.

How was it badly handled by both parties? The appropriate notice was given, there is no further onus or burden of responsibility on the employee. The failure is ALL on management there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Strumms wrote: »
    Can you escalate by going over his head ? He’s being grossly unfair and unprofessional too. Send copies of the emails and any you receive to your personal email account too.

When escalating, forward the emails to which he choose not to reply to..

“I have sent several emails to xxxx which I have attached for you that have all gone without response or acknowledgement, I would like to know why this might be the case but restate as per the required notice period my last day will be August xx as clearly stated in all the above correspondences to xxxx.

Email is not a legal document. To sent a legitimate registration letter it has to be hand delivered, posted or faxed as that's the only way to legally send a signature. But as said very little can be done to make a person work after their notice period has been served. The OP and the management are both doing this wrong.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Email is not a legal document. To sent a legitimate registration letter it has to be hand delivered, posted or faxed as that's the only way to legally send a signature. But as said very little can be done to make a person work after their notice period has been served. The OP and the management are both doing this wrong.

I don’t think so, as far as I believe proper legal notification can be achieved by sending an email, signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

OP, remember to keep a copy of all emails. Just in case you'd ever need them.

Strumms wrote: »
    How was it badly handled by both parties? The appropriate notice was given, there is no further onus or burden of responsibility on the employee. The failure is ALL on management there.

He was the managing director. Typically managing directors a bit more responsible than junior staff...

So he should have ensured a replacement was being found, helped interview the replacement, made a handover plan, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

He was the managing director. Typically managing directors a bit more responsible than junior staff...

So he should have ensured a replacement was being found, helped interview the replacement, made a handover plan, etc.

Maybe he was surplus to requirements, and none of the above was necessary?

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    Maybe he was surplus to requirements, and none of the above was necessary?

Companies usually need a managing director.

But you're not totally off. They have me doing his job right now (as well as my own job) so perhaps they were thinking along your lines, but my feeling is they are just disorganised and making things up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Companies usually need a managing director.

But you're not totally off. They have me doing his job right now (as well as my own job) so perhaps they were thinking along your lines, but my feeling is they are just disorganised and making things up as they go along.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I disagree totally with your assertion.

The MD is quite an 'old term' and these days, small to medium sized companies, normally appoint a CEO, responsible directly to the board.

Typically the CEO will have some sort of commercial background, and (in my experience) is normally an external appointment. The term 'director' would normally entail the holder has not just a management position, but also a fiduciary role with regards to the overall running of the company and it's responsibilities.

In situations where this role is not filled, and again dependent on the company size, the role is normally subsumed under the chairman's role.

As a complete aside, I don't know how comfortable I'd be in a company where a part time MD would describe the actions of the board as disorganised and 'making things up as they go along' .

• Advertisement

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »
    I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I disagree totally with your assertion.

The MD is quite an 'old term' and these days, small to medium sized companies, normally appoint a CEO, responsible directly to the board.

Typically the CEO will have some sort of commercial background, and (in my experience) is normally an external appointment. The term 'director' would normally entail the holder has not just a management position, but also a fiduciary role with regards to the overall running of the company and it's responsibilities.

In situations where this role is not filled, and again dependent on the company size, the role is normally subsumed under the chairman's role.

As a complete aside, I don't know how comfortable I'd be in a company where a part time MD would describe the actions of the board as disorganised and 'making things up as they go along' .

All I can say is I'm the one in this company so I can tell you what did and didn't happen.

The MD leaving wasn't handled well by anyone as it left a big void and all his knowledge/responsibilities weren't passed to anyone.

Then one day when having lunch they told me I'm to do his role now. This was two weeks after his resignation date. It was a five second conversation.

This isn't the way to do things...

Advertisement