Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical condition

• 14-08-2019 4:25pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭

‪Can an insurance company suddenly raise premiums if someone has a medical condition but is certified as medically fit to drive and don’t need any adaptations to the vehicle ? Legally, I mean?‬

Oddly enough , there is no issue with my own insurance, but my husband’s suddenly increased when he reminded them ( same company the last few years ) of it, the quote increased , even though I’m only a named driver .

The NDLA are aware of my condition and I always submit a letter to the relevant insurance company from my consultant each year . Neither vehicle needs any form of adaptations.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I had to read your post a few times to figure out your situation. Which I read as follows......

You and your husband have cars and insurance policies. You have a medical condition and are a named driver on your husband's policy.

Both insurance companies are aware of your medical condition but when your husband reminded his insurance of your condition (I assume at renewal time), they loaded his premium. He feels they did this because of your condition, even though your policy has no loading.

Short answer to your question is 'yes', they can load the premium if they perceive that you are a higher risk.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

coylemj wrote: »
    I had to read your post a few times to figure out your situation. Which I read as follows......

You and your husband have cars and insurance policies. You have a medical condition and are a named driver on your husband's policy.

Both insurance companies are aware of your medical condition but when your husband reminded his insurance of your condition (I assume at renewal time), they loaded his premium. He feels they did this because of your condition, even though your policy has no loading.

Short answer to your question is 'yes', they can load the premium if they perceive that you are a higher risk.
    Thanks for the reply . He had been given a written quote . When he was on the phone , originating quote was confirmed- when he reminded them of my medical condition , he was immediately given a higher quote. So even though I am certified as medically fit , have never had any accident related to this condition, they can just do that ? If my consultant and the NDLA are satisfied that I’m medically fit, how can a company automatically load me as a risk ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,483 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

how can a company automatically load me as a risk ?

As I said in my earlier reply, because they perceive you as a higher risk. Your condition was notified to the NDLS (not NDLA) and is of sufficient relevance that you send a consultant's letter to your insurance every year. Which means that, whether you like it or not, it is a factor in determining risk. Otherwise, there would be no need to declare it to anyone. By the very act of disclosing it to your insurance companies, you are acknowledging that it is material to their risk assessment. Lest you misread that sentence, I am not for a second suggesting that you do not disclose it to another prospective insurer.

Each company has their own perception of risk. If your husband doesn't like the quote, he can seek quotes from other companies.

The letter is something I’ve alway submitted since diagnosis - not sought by any insurance company . I know the Parkinson’s Assoc. took a case and that the outcome was that it could not be legally used as a criterion for extra loading.Thanks for the reply .

• Advertisement
Advertisement