Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job

Options
  • 14-08-2019 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi all,

I understand it is a busy time of the year for teachers' queries as we enter into the new academic year shorty, however I thought I'd post my situation here to see if any of you very helpful teachers could offer me some advice and guidance.

I have been working in the same school for the past 2 years. I commute to the school for what I believe to be a long commute (1 hour 20 mins in the morning traffic depending). The commute time on the way home is slightly shorter as I try to beat the rush hour traffic. I pay 2 tolls on my way to work and 2 tolls on my way home. I travel 1000 km per week. As you can imagine, commuting costs are quite high taking into account tolls, price of fuel, car services and so on. Accommodation near my school is quite expensive and works out less economical than driving up and down to the school everyday (you have probably guessed the school is in Dublin). I find it very, very hard to save any money.

For the past few weeks I have been dreading the thoughts of going back. I'm not dreading going back to the school as I enjoy teaching there as much as any of the other schools I have taught in. I'm dreading the thoughts of commuting once again for another year; leaving the house at 6am, defrosting the car in the depths of winter and praying there are no incidents on the road that would add time onto an already lengthy journey to work.

I know other teachers in my county that have refused to apply for positions in Dublin, for example as the wouldn't be prepared to commute or pay the high rents. Instead, they would 'hold out' until September and be offered subbing hours, a maternity contract etc. Some of these teachers in the meantime have become CID in a school only 20 mins drive for their home.
    I always wanted to be sorted with a position before the summer holidays ended. This is what led me to apply to jobs outside of my county and further afield. The idea of a fixed term contract was so appealing to me I went for interview and accepted the job immediately. 2 years later I'm still there and CID'd.

I have talked to close friends and family members about the situation.

Advice: Is there anyone else out there on the same boat as I am? Or know of anyone in the same position?
    - what did they do?
    - what do you suggest I do?

Question: Can I go back to the school this year, work for 2 weeks and then hand in my notice after being offered a job closer to home? Or do I need to work for another year through? (I've always held the idea that it is better to be in a job before moving to another one).

I would post this on the VFT page on Facebook, however they're are taking a well deserved break for the next 2 weeks. I'm sure the boards community of teachers can offer me some advice.

Thank you all so much:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Unfortunately your 1hr 20 min commute through traffic is not exceptional nowadays thanks to our unthinking politicians and planners.
    I would never leave a job unless I had another lined up or had a few interviews at least.
    You are clearly competent and valued within your school if you landed a cid in such quick order so you should look positively at your prospects.
    If post primary then your subjects will dictate how easy/difficult it will be to make a move. However this year there seemed to be lots of jobs in a multitude of subjects. Perhaps that issue is easing.
    You have left it a little late for getting a move this year but you never know unless you try.
    Check vacancies in your area, make discreet enquiries, don't settle for a poorer position than you intend to leave. Too many have moved for convenience only to find themselves teaching in a bad school. It might take more than a year to make a move, but that is a short time in a long career.
    Don't feel bad about leaving your present school if a better or more convenient opportunity arises. It happens all the time and your old school will survive fine without you, no matter how good you are (we all learned this long ago!!).
    In any case, best of luck and keep the chin up!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

Many thanks for the response.

I understand that there are teachers out there doing an equally long commute, if not longer. I was hoping to hear from one of those teachers as they could give me advice on what they're doing/what they did. Maybe they left a school because it was too far from them. I'm starting to think like this. For the last year the commute to work was more taxing to me than the work itself.
    Having a permanent 22 hour contract isn't something to be sniffed at. It is the main benefit of doing the lengthy commute every morning.
    However, thinking about another year of this is draining. I don't plan to work in the school indefinitely and want to work somewhere in my county or even neighboring county. This leads me to ask myself why continue to work here for another year when I could be building myself up in a school closer to home?

Finally, from your post are you saying it is possible for me to leave in mid to later September and work in another school?

Thanks once again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Snapgal

Think carefully before you leave - I did after 12 years and five years since I have no proper own RPT decent hours lined up forfor sept. I have Gaeilge/MFL but to tell you the truth the situation has become worse with subbing/low hour contracts available plus especially in the west gaa/parochial politics. All I am good enough to be offered is subbing. My local ETB have been contacting me desperate to take a few months maternity in my subjects but I cannot survive another years waking up worrying will I be another five years in the same boat that I will prob leave teaching unless some magic RPT decent hours position turns up. Sorry if I come across as negative but I listened to people say to me that would walk into a job and get CID in few years. Ward report had just come in ie 2 years towards CID when I left my permanent position so thought by five years I would be CID - not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

The situation is a gamble.

You are perfectly entitled to hand in your notice and leave in accordance with your contract. In fairness its rare to be asked to work out your notice.

Any job you get will be a one year contract and you will need to reapply next year. I have seen these jobs being filled by redeployment and a good teacher having to be let go as a result. That's not to say that there's anything wrong with the redeployed teacher. It's not their fault either.

You have to weigh it up and make your own decision. I know a few people who left us to go back home but only left for full hours and at that there was still a risk involved.

I don't think anyone knows what's best for you apart from you.

Just to say snapgal, I know we have had several teachers in our school who were appointed to jobs following a maternity leave contract. And in that case the maternity was counted as year 1 for ward. It must be difficult to be experienced and not be picking up work but sometimes ypu need to take the chance, you never know what will happen.
    Best of luck to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

So, is it possible for me to leave a job before the Halloween break, for example? Provided I get offered something closer to home in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So, is it possible for me to leave a job before the Halloween break, for example? Provided I get offered something closer to home in the meantime.

Yes you can leave your job at any stage during the year, you just have to give and work adequate notice. It is usually 4 weeks for a teaching job but some will let you go sooner (if they can get someone to replace you).

Advertisement