Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay Scale after 14 years overseas.

Options
  • 15-08-2019 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hello!
    Could anyone help me with something I'm wondering about.
    A teacher teaches in Ireland for 3 years. She then leaves to Dubai where she teaches in a private school for 14 years. Now she has a job offer for Sept 2019. Where will she be on the pay scale? Is there a place we can go to get a definitive answer?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dorit

I'm not sure if overseas work counts towards incremental credit. You could end up still in point 3 but I'm not sure. You need to to ring the department of education payroll for a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I'm fairly sure that overseas work doesn't count for incremental credit in this country. There are sacrifices to be made when chasing the big salaries in the middle East - this is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

If it's not calculated as teaching experience, you could apply to have it recognised as non teaching experience, where you could get 5 years incremental credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

There’s a lowish cap of years that can be added ( around 8?) There was a principal on radio who wanted to return from Oz or somewhere and he was being offered buttons :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 whodini

I got credit for years worked in Asia, just a bit painful to get all the forms stamped in the various schools after having relocated home. If I were doing it again, I’d have them all sorted before moving home. I’ve heard of people being refused incremental credit for similar but it’s definitely worth checking out. Get onto payroll in the DES. I do recall there being something about private schools possibly not being included - mine were a public school and a public university.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Max credit awarded is 7 years and there are a few stipulations that a private school may not meet.

Advertisement