Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare to Derrynane route

Options
  • 15-08-2019 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Looking at travelling to Derrynane - looking at going via Cork or Limerick.

Motorway most of the way but which route is best ? Which way do the regulars take ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

You are probably best off going through cork, and then taking the turn off for kenmare before you reach Killarney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Cork is your better option.

General rule of thumb, South Kerry is better via Cork. North Kerry/Dingle is better via Limerick.

I just popped that into Google maps for the craic. It says Limerick is 2 minutes quicker. Only thing is its taking you right through mid Kerry, Glencar, Dromid etc which are narrow country roads. At least if you go via Cork, once you get to Ballyvourney you're driving on "main" roads lol which will be wider and traffic moving quicker.

Another route, and one that I'd probably take myself, is to come off the motorway at Mitchelstown and head towards Killarney, going through Mallow and Rathmore, then take a left turn in Barraduff village for Glenflesk and head for Kenmare/Ring of Kerry that way and on to Derrynane.

Not a route I'd travel without knowing and I know it well from travelling home but a good option imo because it takes out the travelling around Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭NSAman

Limerick, adare, castleisland, turn off at farranfore go to firies, mill town, Killorglin, Caherciveen, Waterville, derrynane

I do it regularly

NSAman wrote: »
    Limerick, adare, castleisland, turn off at farranfore go to firies, mill town, Killorglin, Caherciveen, Waterville, derrynane

I do it regularly

An excellent option also, slightly more miles but probably a lot quicker time wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

NSAman wrote: »

would also be my choice. But there is very little in it. Adare is a nice and convenient place to stop.

I'd do Mallow Mitchelstown.

They always underestimate speed on secondary roads. I find it faster than via Cork.

But if travelling via Limerick, I find the Charleville, Newmarket, Rathmore route faster to get to South Kerry than Adare. I avoid Adare like the plague.

Advertisement