Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Putting a mobile home on site

• 15-08-2019 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been reading that people place mobile homes on their sites as they build their houses. But it is my understanding that you also need planning permission for a mobile home, even though it's temporary. Is this correct?

If so, when you are applying for planning permission do you need to tell them you will have a mobile home on site for the duration of the build?

If it is a separate planning permission application am I right in thinking that it wouldn't interfere with local needs since it wouldn't be considered a permanent home?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Planning required.

Yes.

Re separate application, best to discuss with individual council.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hi,

I've been reading that people place mobile homes on their sites as they build their houses. But it is my understanding that you also need planning permission for a mobile home, even though it's temporary. Is this correct?

If so, when you are applying for planning permission do you need to tell them you will have a mobile home on site for the duration of the build?

If it is a separate planning permission application am I right in thinking that it wouldn't interfere with local needs since it wouldn't be considered a permanent home?

Its not unusual to include a mobile home as part of an application for a new house, when the clients intended to live on site during the build.

the council usually include conditions which restrict the time limit you can have the mobile ie 3 years... and that the the mobile must be removed off site immediately on completion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭arctictree

Hi,

Anyone I know who built a house and had a mobile home during the build never got planning for it. Not advocating it, just stating what happens.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

arctictree wrote: »
    Anyone I know who built a house and had a mobile home during the build never got planning for it. Not advocating it, just stating what happens.

We obey the law in this forum, please read the forum charter before posting here again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

arctictree wrote: »

I've heard of people doing that as well, awful carry on what people do breaking the law like that, they should be ashamed of themselves, I've never heard of anyone being reprimanded or convicted of it tho, so it seems crime pays in this case, take care op in case you'll be the first in ireland to be convicted of this heinous crime, VERY VERY unlikely but you better not do it all the same

• Advertisement

I've heard of people doing that as well, awful carry on what people do breaking the law like that, they should be ashamed of themselves, I've never heard of anyone being reprimanded or convicted of it tho, so it seems crime pays in this case, take care op in case you'll be the first in ireland to be convicted of this heinous crime, VERY VERY unlikely but you better not do it all the same

its either legal or its not. Just because you choose to disregard the law does not make what your doing legal or acceptable.

anyway, its much simpler to just include the mobile home in the initial planning application.

and there have been plenty of applications refused for Mobile homes by ABP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its either legal or its not. Just because you choose to disregard the law does not make what your doing legal or acceptable.

anyway, its much simpler to just include the mobile home in the initial planning application.

and there have been plenty of applications refused for Mobile homes by ABP

Ok, good to know this is being clamped down on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for ways around it or justification for not seeking for planning permission. Just wondering what the requirements are. If it's handy enough to include it in our planning application then there should be no issue.

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for ways around it or justification for not seeking for planning permission. Just wondering what the requirements are. If it's handy enough to include it in our planning application then there should be no issue.

its very handy to include.
    someone with experience will already have drawings of a typical mobile home to include.

in my last application the council actually refunded the second €65 i had included for the mobile.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its very handy to include.
    someone with experience will already have drawings of a typical mobile home to include.

in my last application the council actually refunded the second €65 i had included for the mobile.

Do you have any experience with water, waste and power? I assume putting a mobile home on site means having to get two connections to water, waste and electricity?

Given the delay in getting Irish Water connections that would make a mobile on site less viable.

• Advertisement

Do you have any experience with water, waste and power? I assume putting a mobile home on site means having to get two connections to water, waste and electricity?

Given the delay in getting Irish Water connections that would make a mobile on site less viable.

No less viable than a house?

If you want an Irish water connection you should be giving at least 3 months for the application to go through.... So apply now.

You don't have to take up the connection of you are refused planning.

Sorry I mean financially. At least for our situation. I guess we would need two connections for electricity and water? Our aim would be to get into a mobile home as cheaply as possible.

We are looking to get out of our current house quickly, and get back closer to my wife's mother, who's health took a turn for the worse this year. Thus, we're not sure if we should look for permission to place the mobile home in her parents yard (quicker, easier), or as part of the site as a more viable longer term placement.

No you wouldn't need two connections, only one. Where they go when they enter your site is up to you.

Placing the mobile on her site, or for a much longer term on your own site, are both very problematic.

Having it on your own site while you build isn't.

Sorry longer term is the incorrect phrase to use there. Either scenario would only be until the house was fit to be moved into. I guess even in this scenario placing it in her parents yard is not going to be a goer for the planners? Good to know at least we can focus on the site.

I'm not saying never, I'm just saying harder to get permission for.

What the council do not want to happen is for two independent living units being used on a site solely designed for one unit.

Understood, makes sense. Thanks very much for sharing your knowledge on it.

Advertisement