Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCB - how long can I keep it after policy expires?

• 15-08-2019 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

How long does my NCB last ? I have a lengthy one well over the 5 years NCB but if I wait a while I can save for a better car . My work has taken away our car parking for a year too so I'm using the bus.

Does NCB retention vary from company to company or is it consistent for everyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭Jb1989

How long does my NCB last ? I have a lengthy one well over the 5 years NCB but if I wait a while I can save for a better car . My work has taken away our car parking for a year too so I'm using the bus.

Does NCB retention vary from company to company or is it consistent for everyone ?

2 years then it's lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

Jb1989 wrote: »
    2 years then it's lost

is that by law , regulation or agreement in the insurance industry ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

is that by law , regulation or agreement in the insurance industry ?

The no claim bonus system has no basis in law or regulations ( other than your insurers are obliged to provide you with a copy of your driving record)

An insurer is free to accept, reject or ignore any NCB. The reason insurers all seem to have a standardised 2year cut off is because insurers want to avoid taking on a disproportionate number of cases where there is an extended gap in the recorded driving history of an individual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

The no claim bonus system has no basis in law or regulations ( other than your insurers are obliged to provide you with a copy of your driving record)

An insurer is free to accept, reject or ignore any NCB. The reason insurers all seem to have a standardised 2year cut off is because insurers want to avoid taking on a disproportionate number of cases where there is an extended gap in the recorded driving history of an individual

Fair enough.

What is the attitude of insurers to a driver who has been driving continuously under a policy not in their name and who has no NCD in their name for that period.

An example.
    I have my own car and NCD for 15 years.
    I sell my car and drive my wife's car as a named driver under her policy for 5 years.
    How would that be viewed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Fair enough.

What is the attitude of insurers to a driver who has been driving continuously under a policy not in their name and who has no NCD in their name for that period.

An example.
    I have my own car and NCD for 15 years.
    I sell my car and drive my wife's car as a named driver under her policy for 5 years.
    How would that be viewed ?

An Post insurance gave my missus cover for a period of named driving (4 years I think?).

Now we have one car and swap insurance every year to keep both NCD's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement