Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get fitted for hiking boots?

Options
  • 15-08-2019 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭

Where is the best place in Cork City to go? I want to make sure I get a good pair that are comfortable and waterproof - want to go to a place where they know what they are talking about. Going to try a bit of walking/hiking, get out there in the fresh air :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

leahyl wrote: »
    Where is the best place in Cork City to go? I want to make sure I get a good pair that are comfortable and waterproof - want to go to a place where they know what they are talking about. Going to try a bit of walking/hiking, get out there in the fresh air :)

I find Buckley sports are very good..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

There is a outdoor sports shop around the back of the MCDonalds where Patrick street turns onto Grand Parade, there is also a North Face (I think) shop in the TK Maxx arcade but you have to enter it from the side where the rear of Waterstones is

Edit: the first shop is called "The Scout Shop"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

There is a outdoor sports shop around the back of the MCDonalds where Patrick street turns onto Grand Parade, there is also a North Face (I think) shop in the TK Maxx arcade but you have to enter it from the side where the rear of Waterstones is

Edit: the first shop is called "The Scout Shop"

That's 53 Degrees North you are thinking of, a decent shop the last time I was there, not cheap but they stock good products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

Small spin but there's a nice shoe shop in Middleton kind of halfway down on the right heading east, they keep a nice few Merrell in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Aldi

did you even read the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I bought a pair Lowa boots from 53 Degrees North a few years ago and their sales folks there really know their stuff. The boots were not cheap but I have used and abused them for nearly three years and the are still in great shape and always comfortable and waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thanks all for your advice and recommendations! I have yet to actually buy a pair :-P I need to get my act together cos always saying I’ll get into hiking and never do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Best pair of hiking boots I ever had were Brashers.
    Extremely comfortable.
    Super water resistance.
    Indestructible.

Had Mereils after - not a patch on them.

I don't know if Brasher are still as good now.

Aldi
    did you even read the OP?

I did indeed. And my suggestion was a serious sensible one. You can get a perfectly fine serviceable pair of hiking boots in the Aldi or Lidl special offers for about €25. Granted they may not be fully waterproof or last for more than a dozen hikes but there are grand.
    A proper pair of branded hiking boots will probably be about €180. Do you know how many people pay that for boots because they are going to take up hiking and end up going once or twice before giving up. A lot. Buy a cheap serviceable pair of boots in Aldi and in you like it and intend continuing get a decent pair then.
    Most shops have Hi Tec and Merell and not much else. Hi Tec are poor quality and will start leaking after about a year of regular use. Merrell are overpriced and the fit will not suit everyone
    53degree North have the best selection by far. Go there and pick the brand that fits best and feels right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I did indeed. And my suggestion was a serious sensible one. You can get a perfectly fine serviceable pair of hiking boots in the Aldi or Lidl special offers for about €25. Granted they may not be fully waterproof or last for more than a dozen hikes but there are grand.
    A proper pair of branded hiking boots will probably be about €180. Do you know how many people pay that for boots because they are going to take up hiking and end up going once or twice before giving up. A lot. Buy a cheap serviceable pair of boots in Aldi and in you like it and intend continuing get a decent pair then.
    Most shops have Hi Tec and Merell and not much else. Hi Tec are poor quality and will start leaking after about a year of regular use. Merrell are overpriced and the fit will not suit everyone
    53degree North have the best selection by far. Go there and pick the brand that fits best and feels right.

When last did you or anyone go to Aldi and get measured for a pair of boots?

(And by the way their boots are fully waterproof and will last as long as any other brand.)

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

When last did you or anyone go to Aldi and get measured for a pair of boots?

(And by the way their boots are fully waterproof and will last as long as any other brand.)

Don't know what you mean by "measured" Normal procedure is you put on a pair of thick hiking socks (bring your own or all outdoor shops are pairs for use when trying in boots. Different brands fit differently so important to try on a few to find one that suits your foot shape. So I don't understand why you think you can't do this at Aldi or what you mean by measured.

And no Aldi boots are not fully waterproof and will not last if hiking regularly but they are perfectly serviceable and the best option for someone who "thinks"they will take up hiking but most likely will give up after one or two hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Don't know what you mean by "measured" Normal procedure is you put on a pair of thick hiking socks (bring your own or all outdoor shops are pairs for use when trying in boots. Different brands fit differently so important to try on a few to find one that suits your foot shape. So I don't understand why you think you can't do this at Aldi or what you mean by measured.

And no Aldi boots are not fully waterproof and will not last if hiking regularly but they are perfectly serviceable and the best option for someone who "thinks"they will take up hiking but most likely will give up after one or two hikes.

Cheers :D

Advertisement