Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CEX not accepting DVD's without IFCO ratings

Options
  • 15-08-2019 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Yesterday I was in the Cex in Balbriggan to trade in some games and DVD's and was told by a member of staff they are no longer accepting DVD's without the IFCO rating because of a new rule that was brought in recently.
    He didn't make it clear if the IFCO has to be on just the dvd case or just the dvd or both.
    Has anyone else encountered this problem or was the Cex employee just acting the maggot?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not familiar with the rule but if this is policy then it makes sense. They probably can’t sell dvds that don’t have the official IFCO rating on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Simpsonsfan17

I just think it's unprofessional of Cex to not have any notices of this new policy in store or on their website.
    Also, I was hoping any Cex employees who are a member of boards.ie would reply to this thread to clarify if this new policy affects all branches in the Republic of Ireland or just the Balbriggan branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I was hoping any Cex employees who are a member of boards.ie would reply to this thread to clarify if this new policy affects all branches in the Republic of Ireland or just the Balbriggan branch.

I wouldn't imagine it being branch specific. If it is a company policy it would cover all branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’d imagine that stores in Ireland selling DVDs have to have versions with the IFCO label. I did a quick search but I can’t find anything to back that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The video sales legislation is from the 80s and would cover second hand as well as new once you are acting as a business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i had 2 titles rejected, one was Pet Sematary (Australian Release), because it had no IFCO rating, they wouldn't take it. However the manager stated that they used to have IFCO stickers to place on the titles in the past, but this has been stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i had 2 titles rejected, one was Pet Sematary (Australian Release), because it had no IFCO rating, they wouldn't take it. However the manager stated that they used to have IFCO stickers to place on the titles in the past, but this has been stopped.

Any previous practice of putting an IFCO sticker on a DVD (esp an foreign release) was (and still is) illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A foreign release is often not the edit that was sent to IFCO and hence the certificate doesn't apply

Advertisement