Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip switch not turning on

Options
  • 15-08-2019 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

One of my trip switches flipped last night, and won't go back on. It just seems to spring straight back off.

I turned everything else off in the fuse box, including the main switch, but even with everything off, this one switch still won't go to the on position. It feels like there is no catch/resistance that could hold it to the on position, similar to like pressing a key on a piano/keyboard, it just doesn't have any resistance when pushed and springs right back.

I believe the switch controls a circuit of sockets (nothing is labelled) so I have unplugged everything and tried resetting it, but still no good. The fact that it still won't reset even with all other switches off on the fuse box makes me think it isn't the things plugged in causing the issue and rather a problem with the trip switch itself?

Any ideas? Picture of the specific switch attached too, if it helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hold it in the "on" position.
    When your arm gets sore you should call an electrician to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭heffo500

It either a fault on the circuit or a faulty MCB, Either way time to get a sparks in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely a faulty MCB. It is probable that a problem on the circuit it protects also exists. As above it would be best to call a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Thanks, got a sparks out and he just replaced the MCB, so all is right with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Barti wrote: »
    Thanks, got a sparks out and he just replaced the MCB, so all is right with the world.

Hopefully after establishing what caused it to operate!

You should have been given a Cert No. 3 for the works. (Completion Certificate for Existing Installations.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Barti wrote: »

How much he charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Risteard81 wrote: »
    Hopefully after establishing what caused it to operate!

You should have been given a Cert No. 3 for the works. (Completion Certificate for Existing Installations.)

Perhaps he gave that to the owner of the house, but I doubt it, I reckon he just gave the invoice. He replaced the MCB with same brand but newer model as it doesn't look like they there was stock anywhere nearby of the exact same model. He just said it was a broken switch since it wouldn't flip back.

Not sure what would have caused it as nothing changed in the house that day, nothing extra running like a dishwasher/washing machine that would have overloaded. All I can think of might be the outside lights with the heavy rain and maybe they got damp. They all seem to be working now though, and he didn't give a look at them or anything in the house, just replaced and went.

How much he charge ?

Think it was about €80 since it was an urgent callout, we had family coming to stay for the weekend, and half the sockets in the house weren't working, so needed it sooner rather than letting them arrive and having to make the tea in the sitting room.

Advertisement