Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you curse?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

debok wrote: »
    Words are just words. Just because someone decided one word is bad over another word. It's just sounds. I don't get why people can be disgusted because someone said a certain word.
    Okay, it came about that certain words are 'bad' but knowing this, you have decided to use that word over another. You used that word because it is deemed to be bad. (I know that in different groupings in society, words can have different severity and acceptance.)
    Roger_007 wrote: »
    Are the Irish, (particularly Dublin Irish), the only nationality who manage to put an expletive in the middle of another word e.g. Absofcukinglutely?
    Australians definitely do that, and Brits probably do too, to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mind you're own fukin business. Hope your not going to one of the affected schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

debok wrote: »
    Words are just words. Just because someone decided one word is bad over another word. It's just sounds. I don't get why people can be disgusted because someone said a certain word.

You mean you have no idea what the f word means? or why it is inappropriate and offensive? wow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

No, I take your point. For me, I feel that cursing has it's time and place. I wouldn't consider anyone (in any context) beneath me who swears I just think it's not appropriate in certain situations.

I have a friend who swears like a mad but she's a great person and interestingly as you mentioned, tends to be very honest.

Would your friend ever swear at someone?

People seem to think its ruder to swear at someone that to swear in general? Is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Way too often.. I have cut it back recently, but it’s still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

It's punctuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Graces7 wrote: »
    You mean you have no idea what the f word means? or why it is inappropriate and offensive? wow.

No they just pointed out the fact that its inappropriate because people decided it was inappropriate. Words can change there meaning over time e.g people don't get offended any more if there called a basterd

It's all about how the word is used, used correctly f*ck is one of the most versatile words in the English language. Sometimes saying the x is f*cked or holy f*ck when something shocking happens is good use of the english language. Calling someone a f*cking b*tch in an angry voice is never ever ok though

So I use curse words often in a context that's grand and very rarely in a bad context

Greyfox wrote: »
    No they just pointed out the fact that its inappropriate because people decided it was inappropriate. Words can change there meaning over time e.g people don't get offended any more if there called a basterd

It's all about how the word is used, used correctly f*ck is one of the most versatile words in the English language. Sometimes saying the x is f*cked or holy f*ck when something shocking happens is good use of the english language. Calling someone a f*cking b*tch in an angry voice is never ever ok though

So I use curse words often in a context that's grand and very rarely in a bad context

You clearly do not know the basic meaning...a demeaning one.. also I would be mortally offended to be called a bastard for any reason.

and it is never holy... and never necessary.

But then we live and walk in different circles. and I am very old now and was brought up not to swear.
    When I was market trading, one day in Donegal a man stopped to talk to a neighbour by my stall. and every other word was the f word,,, gross... on and on he went, So I started singing softly and he stopped and told me I had a lovely voice.... singing now!

as I walk away into the wild wind and sunshine to clear my head of these curse words! Most folk I know never curse and I respect that

circadian wrote: »
    It's punctuation.

:eek: what are they teaching over here!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The Crazy Cat Lady

i curse in my head a lot but rarely out loud, sometimes it does slip out though

You clearly do not know the basic meaning...a demeaning one.. also I would be mortally offended to be called a bastard for any reason.

and it is never holy... and never necessary.

But then we live and walk in different circles. and I am very old now and was brought up not to swear.
    When I was market trading, one day in Donegal a man stopped to talk to a neighbour by my stall. and every other word was the f word,,, gross... on and on he went, So I started singing softly and he stopped and told me I had a lovely voice.... singing now!

as I walk away into the wild wind and sunshine to clear my head of these curse words! Most folk I know never curse and I respect that

I know where the word came from and its meaning and its meaning is due to what we decided it meant, its still just a word. mortally offended? its used all the time in Ireland in jest, been offended by basterd today is like been offended by been called a fruitcake, the b word has lost is meaning as people have enough common sense to know there's nothing wrong with been born out of wedlock

I don't like swearing either but f*ck has now become a normal part of communication if its said the right way, sometimes the f word can come across as funny. Its now only sometimes inappropriate or rude

I have been in the company of people who rudely curse quite often and its a really horrible experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Would your friend ever swear at someone?

People seem to think its ruder to swear at someone that to swear in general? Is that true?

Nah she's not a **** like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I do think it's changing with the times. My parents, now in their 70s, would have been warned not to curse, and chastised for it. As mentioned above, bastard is a word that had very strong emotional connections back in the day, as being a bastard was looked down upon, thank you Catholic church (in Ireland anyway). Now, children are born outside of wedlock more often than in wedlock and the Catholic church no longer has the strong hold it once had on our nation.

I do agree that constant, non-stop cursing in every sentence can come across as bad, and i'm guilty of it myself, depending on how bad of a day I had. I personally think we should be teaching kids that words are just words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Malcolm Tucker ruined cursing for me. I mean, if you can't do Tucker-level cursing, then really, what's the point.

In the words of the great man: “You are a real boring f***. Sorry, I know you disapprove of swearing, so I’ll sort that: you are a boring ‘F star star C**T!'”

I do think it's changing with the times. My parents, now in their 70s, would have been warned not to curse, and chastised for it. As mentioned above, bastard is a word that had very strong emotional connections back in the day, as being a bastard was looked down upon, thank you Catholic church (in Ireland anyway). Now, children are born outside of wedlock more often than in wedlock and the Catholic church no longer has the strong hold it once had on our nation.

I do agree that constant, non-stop cursing in every sentence can come across as bad, and i'm guilty of it myself, depending on how bad of a day I had. I personally think we should be teaching kids that words are just words.

Although I agree with you, the fact is cursing is more of social ettiquete. There's nothing inherently rude about saying f*ck when you get angry but society has decided there are certain words and topics not polite to discuss.

• Advertisement

Nah she's not a **** like that.

What do you mean?

I personally don't see swearing at someone different from swearing in general. Hardly swear at all but don't have an issue with those that do.

Why is saying f*ck! when stubbing your toe in anger any different from saying to some mcdonalds worker who totally messed up your order "piss the **** off mate"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Playing videogames and watching sports mainly...or if I hit off something of course!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

What do you mean?

I personally don't see swearing at someone different from swearing in general. Hardly swear at all but don't have an issue with those that do.

Why is saying f*ck! when stubbing your toe in anger any different from saying to some mcdonalds worker who totally messed up your order "piss the **** off mate"?

Because one is a deliberate act of aggression against another person, it's not specifically to do with the swearing.

It's like saying what's the difference between "Oh drat" when you stub your toe and "you're a pathetic idiot" to a McDonald's worker. What's the difference between stamping your foot when you're frustrated or stamping on the face of the person who's frustrating you. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

What do you mean?

You'd have to be a proper prick to say that to a MaccyD's worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Im a protestant so I never use bad language. ..I leave that to you catholics :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

frosty123 wrote: »
    Im a protestant so I never use bad language. ..I leave that to you catholics :-)

Roman catholics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To answer the OP probably 6-8 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I do swear - especially at work. And I recognise the therapeutic aspects of it. Also no issue (as many seem to have) with the c word. However I don't like the sound of people sticking a swear word in between every non swear word. I think of The Commitments, like it's for childish shock value.

To me it adds emphasis, expressiveness - using it in mundane speech defeats its purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Every day, probably.

I've never been sensitive to "curse" words. Always found it odd that some people are.

In fact, they're some of the most expressive words in the English language.

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Are the Irish, (particularly Dublin Irish), the only nationality who manage to put an expletive in the middle of another word e.g. Absofcukinglutely?

No. The Scots and the Welsh are prone to flowery language just as much.

Catalonians, at least the ones I've met, can knock out the words of curse as well.

also I would be mortally offended to be called a bastard for any reason.

Even if it was your name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Probably way too much, most sentences that come out of my mouth have the f or c word included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Too much but I’m trying to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I've had to tone it down since moving abroad. It's far less common to swear in the office. I noticed people found the occasional Fcuk either funny or surprising so it ended up distracting from, rather than emphasising, the point I was trying to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Never

Remember bumping into a Canadian woman I used to work with and saying "wasn't our boss a right cuntt haha!" (The woman in question absolutely was - I don't use the term lightly; she was supremely vile).

The Canadian woman was utterly horrified. :o

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Remember bumping into a Canadian woman I used to work with and saying "wasn't our boss a right cuntt haha!" (The woman in question absolutely was - I don't use the term lightly; she was supremely vile).

The Canadian woman was utterly horrified. :o

Over the course of my "cursing" life :pac: , I have never seen a single word than can reduce so many women to utter horror.

I bet she wouldn't have batted an eyelid if you had used another word instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

It would be easier for me to answer how often I don't curse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Multiple **** times a ****ing day, often ****ting times an hour. The Irish acceptable cursing standard does rather shock people abroad, but at least the management when I worked in the UK were Scottish and Dutch - both of which really outdo us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Tony EH wrote: »
    Over the course of my "cursing" life :pac: , I have never seen a single word than can reduce so many women to utter horror.

Am I allowed to link this.. .. .. Hmm. Ah sure, nothing ventured nothing gained!

Tony EH wrote: »

I don't get why it causes more offence than the f word. I mean I know it's slang for female genitalia but other insults are slang for male genitalia.

And the c word is used to insult men also. Moreso than women from what I've observed.

It's a nasty word and I don't use it liberally, but sometimes the cap fits!

Habitually, and I couldn't give a shat about purgatory. Fúck all of you puritans.

Regularly. Not in anger, they're just part of my vocabulary.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I don't get why it causes more offence than the f word. I mean I know it's slang for female genitalia but other insults are slang for male genitalia.

And the c word is used to insult men also. Moreso than women from what I've observed.

It's a nasty word and I don't use it liberally, but sometimes the cap fits!

You do get why it causes more offence. It comes down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I had a work review recently and the only negative critique I received was that I curse way too much.
    I don't even ****ing notice I'm doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Rarely

It's the sign of poor vocabulary and you let yourself down when you do it. So I never fucking curse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

More than I used to and have recently chastised myself to pull back.

Just society has gotten so shallow and self centred that dealing with the public is getting harder and more frustrating.

So many selfish people, but I’ve so little patience.

It's the sign of poor vocabulary and you let yourself down when you do it. So I never fucking curse.

It's not, sometimes the f world fits the sentence better than any other word. Once your not directing the f word at a person in anger then I don't see any harm

• Advertisement

Greyfox wrote: »
    It's not, sometimes the f world fits the sentence better than any other word. Once your not directing the f word at a person in anger then I don't see any harm

WHOOSH :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

frosty123 wrote: »

Advertisement