Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must new extension meeting air-tightness requirements from building regs?

• 15-08-2019 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

If getting a small extension (30 sqm) on an existing 100sqm 50 year old bungalow must you do air-tightness on the extension?

Extension is exempt from planning. Legally where does this lay in terms of building regulations? Does the extension have to meet current building regulation (for air-tightness, and for everything else)?

It would obviously be a good idea to do airtightness (and satisfy all other building regs where possible) even if not required, right?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If getting a small extension (30 sqm) on an existing 100sqm 50 year old bungalow must you do air-tightness on the extension?

Extension is exempt from planning. Legally where does this lay in terms of building regulations? Does the extension have to meet current building regulation (for air-tightness, and for everything else)?

It would obviously be a good idea to do airtightness (and satisfy all other building regs where possible) even if not required, right?

Yes it has to meet Current Building Regulations.
    The current regs contain sections for existing buildings.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/tgd_l_dwellings_2019.pdf

Section 0.1.3 - Existing Dwellings
    Air tightness: limiting air infiltration
    through the newly constructed elements
    as far as is practicable. Guidance is
    given in sub-section 2.1.4;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

Thanks. I took a read and my understanding is that there are no specific requirements to make an extension as I described airtight. There's no figure specified that should be met.

Based on this it sounds like for an extension as I described there's no requirement to use airtightness materials, but doing so is a good idea. Sound correct?

Thanks. I took a read and my understanding is that there are no specific requirements to make an extension as I described airtight. There's no figure specified that should be met.

Based on this it sounds like for an extension as I described there's no requirement to use airtightness materials, but doing so is a good idea. Sound correct?

More or less yes.
    You should ensure that the walls are adequately sealed, insulation adequately fitted and joints, cold. Ridge locations adequately designed.

It would be in your own interest to follow some air tightness procedures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

kceire wrote: »
    More or less yes.
    You should ensure that the walls are adequately sealed, insulation adequately fitted and joints, cold. Ridge locations adequately designed.

It would be in your own interest to follow some air tightness procedures.

Thanks. So makes sense to use airtighness material and tapes on new extension.

The plan for the existing house is to replace windows\doors and do internal insulation with drylining.

What would be the most feasible\practical thing to do in terms of airtightness of existing house?

I guess even if no airtightness material on walls of existing house, it would make sense to use airtightness tape around reveals after installing new windows\doors?

Thanks. So makes sense to use airtighness material and tapes on new extension.

The plan for the existing house is to replace windows\doors and do internal insulation with drylining.

What would be the most feasible\practical thing to do in terms of airtightness of existing house?

I guess even if no airtightness material on walls of existing house, it would make sense to use airtightness tape around reveals after installing new windows\doors?

Seal around the new windows before you dry line the reveals.
    If you are dry lining the rest of the house you can sand/cement coat the external walls too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement