Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ION FURY

• 15-08-2019 2:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Old-school kick-ass FPS action, created in the Build Engine!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I think I will be buying this, looks really good. I bought Project Warlock recently which is kinda similar with the whole retro fps schtick but I really wasn't impressed with it at all. I think with Ion Fury there is a full episode already available through early access though I'll wait for the full game. Apparently they were threatened with legal action over the name "Ion Maiden", hence Ion Fury.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Homelander wrote: »
    I think I will be buying this, looks really good. I bought Project Warlock recently which is kinda similar with the whole retro fps schtick but I really wasn't impressed with it at all. I think with Ion Fury there is a full episode already available through early access though I'll wait for the full game. Apparently they were threatened with legal action over the name "Ion Maiden", hence Ion Fury.

Full release was out at 1430 today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Still a bit disappointed it's not call Iron Maiden, a much better name; the titular bands legal department to blame there.

Actual game looks fantastic though. Really does look the perfect kind of approach to nostalgia; taking the elements and pillars that worked in the genre / engine, while improving or iterating on that which didn't.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Played a load of it last night. It's really good. It's so nice to play a FPS with some actual gods honest level design.

To add to that I love all the weapons I've found so far. They are all useful and on weapon doesn't make another irrelevant.

If that makes sense.

The smooth transition between levels is great also. I completed the first 5 last night.

• Cheers, maybe a mod can move all the related posts into that thread from here please?

@Retro or Johnny Ultimate?

• Advertisement

• I'm so so close to buying this....

Will let ya know when this months wages come in and herself oks the transaction :D

https://3drealms.com/catalog/ion-fury-big-box-2_146/

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm running a i5 3570, 8GB ram and a Vega 56 GPU and I'm getting sub 60fps dips at 1080p on a build engine game :pac:

• Azza wrote: »
    I'm running a i5 3570, 8GB ram and a Vega 56 GPU and I'm getting sub 60fps dips at 1080p on a build engine game :pac:

I only recently upgraded....how are you checking FPS in this? I didn't notice an FPS counter in the menu.

Ryzon 2600xt, 12GB Ram RX580 8GB :D:D

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

I was just using the steam FPS counter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Azza wrote: »
    Reading some of the developer responses on the Steam forums and I was pretty surprised to see they've not made any engine changes despite pushing it way past its intended limits with regards map size, level of detail and scene complexity. Not particularly surprised some folk are having performance issues but on the upside, it looks like they're being quite pro-active on the forums in terms of both temporary solutions being offered and patches on the way. Maybe check out some of the former to help in the short term?

• Advertisement

• I will check later for actual FPS, but I didn't notice any performance issues running @ 1080p 75hz with free sync on

Azza wrote: »

That is strange, wonder is it related to engine limitations/difficulties rather than the hardware actually being under genuine strain. Obviously EDuke32 is twentyfold more demanding than original Build Engine games, but I'm surprised at sub 60fps on your PC.

Reminds me of playing old school Command and Conquer on more modern machines, gets really stuttery when too much is going on on-screen or too many units are in play on the map, but it's a limitation with the engine, I used to think it was my Pentium 2 PC at the time but happens on modern machines too. (talking the original releases, not OpenRA which works fine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Found an interesting thread on how Bombshell's character design evolved over time (mild NSFW)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1676902239539040353

Bought it there. Surprised at the small size, only 90mb...downloaded in 4 seconds. Thought it would be bigger with more modern audio/assets.

• At the end of the second chapter I did notice the frames drop as low as mid 50s in some cases

So yes I can confirm even if you have a powerful or decent rig their are performance issues on a build engine game!!

I'm surprised digital foundry of all people didn't spot this yet

It's specific to the opengl renderer though is what I noticed so I suspect it will be patched

For anyone having trouble with the little spider bastards: Your Lovebringer (magnum)'s Secondary Fire is a lock-on which can mark up to 3 targets.
    Hold Secondary, mark, Fire - instant kill.

Another thing:
    Despite being a Build engine game, you can (and should!) go for headshots.
    Frag away!

• K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Another thing:
    Despite being a Build engine game, you can (and should!) go for headshots.
    Frag away!

I've not played since the weekend gone.
    I'm waiting for a patch either AMD related or game.

It runs fine but the dips considering my rig is annoying me.

Game getting review bombed on Steam over some apparent SJW 'controversy' I could barely be arsed to read about. People who review bomb games are worse than the people they claim are the problem.

People have too much time on their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

The only problem I have is valve discounting those reviews. If that's what consumer's care about then that's that. As Homelander implied
    they can just be ignored if one doesn't care about such things. The gog page also has negative backlash from the developer behavior https://www.gog.com/game/ion_fury

To be honest, the developers being forced into 'sensitivity training' is messed up.

The in-game references are too good.

OCQEBGx.jpg

• Completed it last night.

One of the best games of the year so far IMO. Still amazed at the artistic direction and amount of detail pumped into each chapter.

Level design is so solid throughout the campaign and every weapon has a use. Not one weapon gets discarded.

Overall fantastic use of the build engine and I would argue it beats Duke 3D for it's level design consistency.

Just finished it earlier also, amazing game. Best thing I've bought in ages. Would be very cool if they made a sequel in the Quake 2 engine or similar. Curious to see what the future for the game is.

Advertisement