Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much will points drop in round 2?

Options
  • 15-08-2019 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

My son got 455 points in LC

He has an offer for Business & Management (DT365) at DIT, which required 440 points.

He has a higher preference for Business Studies (DC111) at DCU which required 463 points in round 1

What is the likelihood/possibility of DCU coming back in round 2 with a reduced points threshold of 455 or below?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Pretty non-existent tbh.

Points for DC111 did not drop at all in the second round last year (see here).

The chance of them dropping 8 points in Round 2 this year .... unless he's drinking buddies with Harry Potter, I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tombrown

Thanks

He is likely to appeal one of his results (depending on reviewing the scripts next week) and if that goes well he would then have enough points for DCU, but obviously it will be mid September before he knows.

If he is successful do DCU have to offer him a place? And would he be allowed to transfer from DIT if he has already started?

tombrown wrote: »
    He is likely to appeal one of his results (depending on reviewing the scripts next week) and if that goes well he would then have enough points for DCU, but obviously it will be mid September before he knows.
    Make sure he has applied to view scripts - see this thread.
    If he is successful do DCU have to offer him a place?
    If he gets the upgrade on appeal and has the points, they will offer him a place, unless something crazy happens like a huge number of prospective DC111 candidates suddenly getting bumped up on appeal ... but tbh that's about as likely as the points dropping by 8 in Round 2, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    And would he be allowed to transfer from DIT if he has already started?
    Yes. It will take a bit of sorting out and paperwork, but he won't be the first person in this situation, colleges are used to dealing with it.

The fact that both colleges are in Dublin obviously makes it much easier from your / his point of view ... no need to suddenly start looking for accommodation in a different city!

Thanks - all very helpful.

Yes he has applied to review the scripts

Actually I have another question - its not really related to the original question, so let me know if I should split it into a separate thread.

My son is not sure about DIT (I know - why did he put it down as a choice?, but kids ... ). If he accepts his place and decides, before the course starts that he does not want to go after all (he is thinking of going abroad for example), will he still have to pay some or all of the registration fees?

• Advertisement

Different colleges have different policies about fee payment, it's not centralised as with the CAO / offers.

This may help, and assuming he accepts his place in DIT (for the moment anyway) they will probably send him out a barrage of more detailed information.

Advertisement