Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House Renovation

• 15-08-2019 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

I’m just looking get some help and advice from anybody with experience of renovations. I’ve recently purchased a house that’s in good condition but needs modernization. It’s a 3 bed semi-d, approx 1,300 sq foot built in the early 70’s. If anyone can give some tips or advice on what to expect or not expect I’d love to hear!

Although we haven’t spoke to an electrician yet, our surveyor did say in their report that the cabling, sockets, etc appear of an older type and we should consider a full rewiring. As the house was never rewired before we know it’s the right time to do it so we should get most if not all of the rest of our lives out of it. We are expecting the cost to be about €10,000. We won’t be looking for anything above the ordinary; standard sockets, light fittings etc.

Is this a realistic cost?

How long can I expect work to go on as we will presumably be temporarily out of the house while this is going on.

We have a garage which is connected to the electricity in the house. Will the electricians have to rewire the garage too to be able to sign off certs on the house?

I’m hearing from people that if we’re re-wiring we should get the house re-plumbed at the same time because their both hugely messy jobs. Would people agree with this?

Would re-plumbing be considered to be needed in a 50 year old house? Can anyone advice how much this should cost and timeframe for the work?

Our surveyor also recommended new radiators and upgrading the flow/return pipework. Is this as messy a job as rewiring and replumbing? Should we do it at the same time?

Thanks in advance! I'll probably be back tomorrow with twice as many questions :-)

Advertisement