Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curly Girl Method shampoo and conditioner

Options
  • 15-08-2019 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I have curly hair but it's really frizzy because I haven't been taking care of it properly and just using any shampoo and conditioner. I've started watching tutorials on youtube about the CGM which basically involves using products without sulphates or silicones. I'm finding it impossible to find anything without either. Does anyone know where I can get them? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

try l'occitane I'm pretty sure they do one. Also there's a brand called Moo Goo you can get in most Chemists. Ruling out both sulphates (for my scalp) but more especially silicones made a huge difference to my hair I can pretty much just wash and go at this stage after years of battling with it. Kiehls do some good products as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dizzyn

I've been using the OGX Coconut Curls shampoo and conditioner for 5ish months now and love them. The conditioner is especially great when it comes to frizz. I also love the brand Twisted Sista; the curl creme and gel are amazing for great curl definition! All of these can be bought in boots and aren't very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I use Johnsons baby shampoo if I'm shampooing. There is a list here https://curlygirlapproveduk.com/ just search by brand, plenty of accessible options. If you're on Instagram there are plenty of curly girls to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I use Johnsons baby shampoo if I'm shampooing.

Johnson’s baby shampoo is the work of the devil. It doesn’t contain sulphates but that doesn’t make it a good choice.
    It’s advertised as ‘no tears’ because it has an alkaline level of around 7.5 which is the same pH as tears are, so that’s why it doesn’t sting if it gets in your eyes.
    However, it could seriously dry out your hair if you’re not careful and cause it to become more frizzy.

Hair - pH 4.5 - 5
    Tears pH 6.5 - 7.6

In comparison, conditioners are acid based (around a 5) to close the cuticle layer after shampooing.

Daniel Galvin organic range of shampoos and conditioners are very good although I’m not sure where they’re sold currently. You used to be able to buy them in Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I don't have any advice on curly girl hair but I agree that Johnson's baby shampoo is awful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I would say I wash my hair with shampoo once a month. I've never had an issue with it. Thanks though ðŸ‘

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I have curly hair but it's really frizzy because I haven't been taking care of it properly and just using any shampoo and conditioner. I've started watching tutorials on youtube about the CGM which basically involves using products without sulphates or silicones. I'm finding it impossible to find anything without either. Does anyone know where I can get them? Thanks.

There are 2 very good Facebook groups. I'm a member of the Curly Girl Vegan Facebook group as I was looking for cruelty free products. I use the As I am co-wash that I buy from either look fantastic or cloud 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

The whole Shea Moisture range in Boots is excellent for the Curly girl method and has no nasties at all.

I cut out sulphates and silcones a few years ago as I get keratin treatments in my hair which doesn't allow them anyway and it really does make a huge difference to your hair. My hair is highlighted though so I do have to get it washed normally every 8 weeks in the hairdresser and it feels so dry afterwards as my hair feels stripped of all moisture with the normal shampoo. I think it no harm every so often though just to clarify your hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I went into Boots yesterday and asked about silicone free conditioner. The staff member brought me to a shelf and showed me which ones were suitable. One was a brand called OGX but when I looked at the ingredients, they all contained dimethicone, which is the most common silicone. I ended up getting two others though, so all is well:

Garnier Ultimate Blends
    Maui Shea Butter

I used the Garnier when washing my hair last night and then used the Maui watered down in a spray bottle as a leave in conditioner. I definitely noticed a difference. Way less frizz and more curl definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    ogx shampoo does have silicone but its still quite good.

Tbh everyone went on the sulphate free shampoo and then companies started putting in way harsher stuff to some things.

Years ago people in the natural health movement said they caused health issues. But in reality it was a way over blown myth.

A lot of this stuff is marketing tbh.

People said they stripped color and weren't suitable for frizzy hair in reality its way more than one ingredient that makes a shampoo its the formula. Their bad reputation is kind of overblown imo.

Its really trial and error for you to be perfectly honest.

Hairdressers will at the same time tell you use sulfate free shampoo if you have had color but use purple shampoo (full of sulphates and very harsh on the hair).

There are so many silicons and sulfates etc i dont think i know of one completely free.

garnier ultimate blends does have sulfates and silicons that doesnt mean its a terrible shampoo though. It also depends on the amount of them it etc we are never told that. If its working for you go for it! Glad you found something.

Also i know you have found something but a lot of curly girls actually wash their hair with conditioner. Most conditioners have a slight cleansing agent. Then you could shampoo if there is a build up as you need to.

Or if you are cynical about washing your hair with conditioner you can put a bit of conditioner and shampoo together in your hand and wash your hair with that and then shampoo.

But the vast majority of conditioners do have a cleansing agent in them.

Just thought i would say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement