Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank draft

• 15-08-2019 11:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I’m with AIB for years.

Is it possible to go to any AIB branch and get a bank draft? (If you have ID etc)

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Yep, once you have some ID it should be no problem from any branch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Spocker wrote: »
    Yep, once you have some ID it should be no problem from any branch

Thanks. Been years since I got one.

Do you have to name the recipient? Or just state the amount.

• Moderators Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭Spocker

Thanks. Been years since I got one.

Do you have to name the recipient? Or just state the amount.

Just the amount is whats required, I don't think you need to specifically name the recipient. I found another thread on this here: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2055860161

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Spocker wrote: »
    Just the amount is whats required, I don't think you need to specifically name the recipient. I found another thread on this here: https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2055860161

Thanks!!

If you get the bank draft and decide not to use it, can you simply ‘lodge’ it back to your account again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you get the bank draft and decide not to use it, can you simply ‘lodge’ it back to your account again?

There is nothing on the draft to indicate that it was paid for from your account. Most drafts are made payable to a named person (the 'payee'). Typically, if you decided not to do business with that person, you would need to go back to the branch where you purchased the draft, explain that it's no longer required (e.g. you decided not to buy the car) so they can cancel it and credit the money back to your account.

But if you're prepared to take the risk, you could get the draft made payable to 'cash' or ' the bearer', in which case it can be cashed by anyone so you could then lodge it into your account. The risk of doing this is that if you lose the draft, it's as good as cash in the hands of the finder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,384 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No such thing as making a draft for cash anymore, there has to be a name on it.

Advertisement