Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye bye Public Services Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m not.

Why not? Requiring a PSC to e.g. renew a passport was just a nonsense. I don't think it should be kept around for verifying social welfare payments though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,373 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had to get one to renew a long expired passport.
    Does this mean I no longer need it to get my passport?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

It's the only valid ID I have at the moment. I don't drive so no license. Passport has expired and am waiting for my divorce before I renew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

fmpisces wrote: »
    It's the only valid ID I have at the moment. I don't drive so no license. Passport has expired and am waiting for my divorce before I renew it.

The card is still required for payments and services administered by the Dept of Social Protection such as benefits and the free travel schene.

It's not needed for any other services or applications that a requirement has been snuck into.
    So no need for it, for License or Passport renewals, Susi, HSE and so on.

The data collected at PSC application cannot be retained either as other than the identity verification it serves no other lawful purpose.

It was the outcome signalled for quite a while by the ODPC and it's good to see their review bearing fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Damn I lost my pps free travel card two weeks ago reported it on the day and still haven't received a replacement now I know why

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Doubt it's the end of it ,

A sly change in legislation will Keep it now the majority of the country actually have one

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

am i the only person in the country who never got one of these in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Seve OB wrote: »
    am i the only person in the country who never got one of these in the first place?

Nope. Didn't get one, don't need one.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

So if this actually happens what will replace FTP, will we be going back to the old days of showing a paper pass to the driver? I would certainly regard that as a regressive step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Gatling wrote: »
    Doubt it's the end of it ,

It's still needed for all Department of Social Protection payments and Free Travel, so there is still currently a valid and legal requirement for the card in those specific circumstances.

The ODPC have knocked the requirement to have a card to access other government services on the head, aswell as requiring the deletion of the data provided during the PSC application.

I have no doubt however that the Government will try and find a way to keep the data but the ODPC are at least demonstrating a modicum of independent backbone on this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

banie01 wrote: »
    It's still needed for all Department of Social Protection payments and Free Travel, so there is still currently a valid and legal requirement for the card in those specific circumstances.

The ODPC have knocked the requirement to have a card to access other government services on the head, aswell as requiring the deletion of the data provided during the PSC application.

I have no doubt however that the Government will try and find a way to keep the data but the ODPC are at least demonstrating a modicum of independent backbone on this topic.

Interesting re the free travel; my pass is MIA but on record and currently no need for it at all. Going nowhere unless on 2 feet ...I had a very bruising encounter with the boss at Intreo when I was very new here and after that refused to apply. She was openly abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

banie01 wrote: »

I would have considered the Department is bound by the National Archives Act of 1986 which stipulates that no record can be destroyed without formal certification from the Archives.

The National Archives have guidance in this area, advising that national legislation supersedes the GDPR in relation to the retention/destruction of national records. I'd be interested to know if the DPC made any reference to this obligation in their determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

i never even heard of it. No joke

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ted1 wrote: »
    I’m not.

Why not? It's clear that this was an attempt by FG to introduce a mandatory ID card and more critically, collect and reference a whole lot of data they had no business to.

Given the general incompetence of most state institutions (individual people who may be excellent aside), this outcome is a great result as it was only a matter of time before a significant breach or abuse of the data came to light.

I don't have one myself and fingers crossed I will never need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

fmpisces wrote: »

But the PSC has never been a valid form of ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

You only need to look at the individual politicians involved to see why this mess wasn't sorted out before it got to this stage.

Of course the people who vote these incompetents are as much to blame subsequently appointed to positions they are not capable of.

And the commanders in the RSA should be hauled in and fired for ignoring the AG's advice for a further 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Honestly I couldn’t believe how flippant and casual Regina Doherty was over the last few years regarding it.

No harm it’s gone and she should be sacked

Regina Doherty when asked over the last few years was more or less saying ah sure it’ll be grand

Chancer or lazy I don’t know

She should be sacked ASAP

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting re the free travel; my pass is MIA but on record and currently no need for it at all. Going nowhere unless on 2 feet ...I had a very bruising encounter with the boss at Intreo when I was very new here and after that refused to apply. She was openly abusive.

Sorry to hear that graces 7

No need for abuse from someone providing a public service :/

What was the nature of the abusive treatment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

No only should Regina Doherty and Paschal Donohoe should be charged with offences.

"Public Expenditure and Reform Minister Paschal Donohoe is now calling on anyone over the age of 18 who has not yet signed up for a Public Services Card (PSC) to do so." - https://www.newstalk.com/news/what-is-a-public-services-card-and-do-i-need-one-581773

https://www.thejournal.ie/regina-doherty-psc-4503956-Feb2019/

Not to mention the company who got the contract to handle the data : https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/firms-involved-in-biometric-database-in-india-contracted-by-irish-government-1.3214640

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Are you sure about that, that is the first instance I have heard that public records with personal data do not fall under the remit of the National Archives. Section 61 of the Data Protection Act 2018, which restricts the exercise of data subjects' rights for archiving purposes, states otherwise. I'd be grateful if you could share any authority or guidance that you are relying on.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,656 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nope, me neither

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Regina Doherty when asked over the last few years was more or less saying ah sure it’ll be grand

Chancer or lazy I don’t know

A little from column A... A little from column B
    She should be sacked ASAP

She should, as should several of her colleagues, but she won't.

We don't do political accountability in this country. Even on those rare occasions when their positions become completely untenable, at most they get a temporary slap on the wrist, and welcomed back into the fold not too long after.

At least in the UK, politicians do actually resign or even quit/rebel based on certain issues. Here the aim is solely to enrich yourself, relatives and your hangers on, and set yourself up for a cushy board membership or 3 afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I don't get the problem with having a government ID card, maybe this will force them to treat it as one and put it on a sound legal basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Perhaps the Data Commissioner should now investigate and issue a report on the Register of Births Deaths and Marriages. This contains very sensitive information which is kept on every citizen and is available to anyone who wishes to obtain information from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Allinall

I don't get the problem with having a government ID card, maybe this will force them to treat it as one and put it on a sound legal basis.

+1.

Rather than calling for sackings, the legislation should be changed to allow for the cards to operate as they were designed.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

dudara wrote: »
    The card will still be required to access certain services. These are the ones where the law supports the use of the PSC. What this ruling essentially says is that a lot of other services had no legal basis to demand the card. This means one of two things will happen. Those services will work away without the card, or they will lobby for law changes so that the law says they require the card.

This ruling highlights deficiencies in two areas, firstly excessive retention of data and secondly, a misunderstanding of the concept of legal basis. Really glad to see the DPC investigate this and come out with a clear finding.

We have a pretty solid Commissioner, as it happens. I always expected a good (read: impartial) result out of the investigation. Helen Dixon isn't as prone to handing out fines as the UK's DPC is, but I kind of prefer the tact of directing people how to do things correctly rather than an outright fine straight off the bat. GDPR is still really new, and there's not a lot of case law to figure out how things should work under it just yet.

There is, I think, some data sharing legislation in the works between Departments. Or at least there should be a push for it. It's kind of a waste that every Department has its own record of the basics of each person. If you want to update your personal data with the government (as you're fully allowed to under the GDPR and Data Protection Act) you need to contact each Department individually - anytime you're communicating with a public body they could have different information to the last public body you contacted because only one of them got...I dunno, you're new contact address or something. It's a pain, and a waste of manpower. And not every Department is staffed to the same level of IT security expertise to protect that data. I'd imagine if the Sharing legislation does actually come into effect that there'd be provisions within it covering the Public Services Card as a form of identification and accessing government services.

But, the Irish Government being the Irish Government, they didn't make sure they had the foundations properly in place before everyone started demanding the PSC. They just kind of haphazardly branched out its use. I'm glad they got smacked round the head for not bothering to do this properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The tin foil hat gang will be out. People who don't want it usually have something to hide.

That card should be kept for the social welfare fraud reductions alone. The PPS number system is a joke. People sharing them. I would also use the card to clean up the voting register.

Advertisement