Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye bye Public Services Card

Options

Comments

KildareP wrote: »
    Never bothered getting one myself either although they have been hounding me endlessly and going to the liberty of making several appointments "for my convenience".

Wouldn't mind but the appointments are office hours only, meaning I'd have to take time off work and frankly, there's nothing I'm currently entitled to that requires a PSC - so why bother!

Just hope that you don’t need illness or unemployment benefits any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You still need the PSC card for free travel and to access welfare payments etc.

Not sure what your point is quoting my post??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,602 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When my dad reached his pension age he needed to get one of these and it was loads of hassle.
    I remember I got one in the post a few years ago and I was delighted because if I every needed access to social welfare/etc it was one less thing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,727 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Graces7 wrote: »
    Interesting re the free travel; my pass is MIA but on record and currently no need for it at all. Going nowhere unless on 2 feet ...I had a very bruising encounter with the boss at Intreo when I was very new here and after that refused to apply. She was openly abusive.

MIA?

They will just suspend paper passes from a certain date on public transport. Somehow I don't think you will turn down free travel...

Not sure what your point is quoting my post??

You seem to be under the impression that the cards have been abolished. They haven’t. It’s just the information stored that’s under review, not the cards themselves, so I’m sure that yours will be reissued soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Is there any way in which I can notify the various Government Departments who hold my records that I am quite happy for them to retain my "massively sensitive" personal data* indefinitely and that I really couldn't give a donkey's turd for the worthless views of the DPC and the rest of the tinfoil hat wearing civil liberties nutjobs?

* (name, address, gender, DoB, PPSN, penis length and girth, foot size, blood group, favourite colour and mobile phone number)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Am I supposed to have one? Is everyone in Ireland supposed to have applied? I am employed, have a driving licence, no passport (8 years out of date) as I only travel to the UK by ferry a few times a year.

Oops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Am I supposed to have one? Is everyone in Ireland supposed to have applied? I am employed, have a driving licence, no passport (8 years out of date) as I only travel to the UK by ferry a few times a year.

Oops?
    Lots of people don't have them or have any need for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Portsalon wrote: »
    Is there any way in which I can notify the various Government Departments who hold my records that I am quite happy for them to retain my "massively sensitive" personal data* indefinitely and that I really couldn't give a donkey's turd for the worthless views of the DPC and the rest of the tinfoil hat wearing civil liberties nutjobs?

* (name, address, gender, DoB, PPSN, penis length and girth, foot size, blood group, favourite colour and mobile phone number)

You tell em Mary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I've never had one. I'm now 75 and have never needed one. Then again I've never looked for any SW payment or allowances.

• Advertisement

Lots of people don't have them or have any CURRENT need for them.

My edit in bold.

And they will remain in that happy state until they suddenly need one in a crisis and realise that they're in trouble.

It's rather like the fools one periodically reads about who didn't bother to take out travel or house insurance and are caught out when disaster strikes.

Car99 wrote: »
    You tell em Mary.

But how can I tell them? (That's actually why I asked the question.)

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

My edit in bold.

And they will remain in that happy state until they suddenly need one in a crisis and realise that they're in trouble.

It's rather like the fools one periodically reads about who didn't bother to take out travel or house insurance and are caught out when disaster strikes.

Jaysis! If there's a nuclear holocaust I'm fooked so...

Not to worry. Helen Dixon and her Civil Liberties pals will be running soup kitchens and handing out free elastoplasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,139 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I've never had one. I'm now 75 and have never needed one. Then again I've never liked for any SW payment or allowances.

Do you not use free travel at all ? We use our card all the time on LUAS and trains etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The application of it was fine. Just the legislation is out of step. Surely the law can be modified to ensure the continues widespread use between different departments of a perfectly efficient and functional system like this card.
    The law must be complied with. Dept of Social Protection are rightly getting a rap on the knuckles. The data must now be deleted.
    But the legislation was lagging the sensible implementation of the technology. But presumably the data can be recollected legally one the necessary amendments to the law are made.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You seem to be under the impression that the cards have been abolished. They haven’t. It’s just the information stored that’s under review, not the cards themselves, so I’m sure that yours will be reissued soon.

:confused: ok I don't know what you're at but please don't quote me again, I did not state anywhere at all that the cards are abolished :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Not to worry. Helen Dixon and her Civil Liberties pals will be running soup kitchens and handing out free elastoplasts.

You sound bitter about the whole thing, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Will we need a PPS card to access the fall out shelters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Do you not use free travel at all ? We use our card all the time on LUAS and trains etc

No. Haven't used public transport in many years - rural area and no transport provided. I prefer to drive anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

Who got the 60 million euros anyways?

The cost of this utter $hitshow

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stephen15 wrote: »
    So if this actually happens what will replace FTP, will we be going back to the old days of showing a paper pass to the driver? I would certainly regard that as a regressive step.

The PSC is not being revoked. What was considered an excessive need for it, has been curtailed. It's only required for Department of Social Protection. No other government function can have it as a precondition for the services of those functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What I don't get is why they don't actually put the proper legislation in place.

A national identify card for all central services is not a bad thing in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Calhoun wrote: »
    What I don't get is why they don't actually put the proper legislation in place.

A national identify card for all central services is not a bad thing in theory.

The card is useful at the point of contact with the public,but everyone has a PPS number they've just never been good at sharing information between departments.

You sound bitter about the whole thing, why?

Merely irritated.

I think that the PSC was/is an excellent idea and was delighted when it was introduced.

I have absolutely no issue with my so-called biometric data as held on the card being held/shared by other government bodies with whom I transact business from time to time and I am aware that the information held on the PSC is probably held in other formats by the public service organisations anyway, so I regard the DPC stunt as a complete waste of time and - much more significantly - potentially a vast waste of taxpayers' funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

kneemos wrote: »
    The card is useful at the point of contact with the public,but everyone has a PPS number they've just never been good at sharing information between departments.

I use the services with my daughter , it's a pain in the ass navigating the public service.

I also recently claimed paternity leave, apparently they had me down as a different name from the one I pay taxes on.

It's ridiculous how disjointed the services are.

I use the services with my daughter , it's a pain in the ass navigating the public service.

I also recently claimed paternity leave, apparently they had me down as a different name from the one I pay taxes on.

Pretty good argument for using the PSC right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Merely irritated.

I think that the PSC was/is an excellent idea and was delighted when it was introduced.

Which makes you wonder why FG decided not to introduce an identity card in the correct manner. The DPC is doing her job as set out in legislation. She's competent, FG have been shown to be the opposite and quite willing to play fast and loose with taxpayers money. I suggest your direct your irritation at those responsible for this F**k Up and not the person who is fulfilling the functions of her office.
    Just as an aside , why were you delighted? Curious comment tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Why isn't DOB on it so it can be used as proof of age. I have a PSC and a Garda age card aswell as a learner permit. Some places only accept a Garda age card or Passport as proof of age for getting into a nightclub or buying booze/smokes what's the point on it when the PSC card could just have DOB printed on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

When I went to get mine done, they couldn't find any information about me, even though they booked the appointment and sent me a letter for it. But when I presented identification to them to confirm who I was, when they referred it against the data they had. They couldn't find me. I insisted they sort it out, becuase I wouldn't come back in again. So they called up "CSO" and it seems my surname was down as my dads middle name.

Advertisement