Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye bye Public Services Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Portsalon wrote: »
    Pretty good argument for using the PSC right there!

Well no not in its current form, as this report has found there are holes in the current system. A proper identity card system would work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Why isn't DOB on it so it can be used as proof of age. I have a PSC and a Garda age card aswell as a learner permit. Some places only accept a Garda age card or Passport as proof of age for getting into a nightclub or buying booze/smokes what's the point on it when the PSC card could just have DOB printed on it.

The PSC was not intended to be an ID card. It was just ti have something with a picture on it because the previous cards didn't have a picture. Nothing to stop you going in with a deceased relatives card, so to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Which makes you wonder why FG decided not to introduce an identity card in the correct manner.

Anytime anything remotely like that has been tried, it raises a big public panic because Irish people don't like the government knowing too much about them and generally want to be able to pull a "fast one" should the need arise. I think I recall similar worries about the Eircode, but it seems to be being adopted now anyway because it's pretty useful I suppose.
    I vaguely remember "reach services"? Anyone know am I mis-remembering or did that fail in the end over similar fears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

The PSC was not intended to be an ID card. It was just ti have something with a picture on it because the previous cards didn't have a picture. Nothing to stop you going in with a deceased relatives card, so to say.

A national ID card would be better

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimjangles

The horrendous scourge that is Seetec should not be allowed to ask people for their Public Service Card either or be allowed to hold data on anybody.
    What they have been doing over the years is definitely illegal.
    They should be next on the chopping board.

• Advertisement

I regard the DPC stunt as a complete waste of time and - much more significantly - potentially a vast waste of taxpayers' funds.

The lawyers get to remind us all who really runs the show around here. Surely that is the main thing...:pac:

I got one of these cards a few weeks ago and will also be irked about this if it ends up mygov.ie + services accessible through it get junked!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Stephen15 wrote: »
    A national ID card would be better

At present, there's no legal requirement for one. The issues you have with the range of IDs you use is down to businesses interpreting things however it suits. Very few people are going to take any action against them and typically only when its blatant discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Which makes you wonder why FG decided not to introduce an identity card in the correct manner. The DPC is doing her job as set out in legislation. She's competent, FG have been shown to be the opposite and quite willing to play fast and loose with taxpayers money. I suggest your direct your irritation at those responsible for this F**k Up and not the person who is fulfilling the functions of her office.
    Just as an aside , why were you delighted? Curious comment tbh.

The debate on a National identity Card isn't for this thread. The government introduced a Public Services Card to facilitate and enhance access to Public Services. It was working reasonably well until Donkey Dixon decided to bray loudly.

I will continue to direct my irritation at whomsoever I may wish to, with or without your approval.

The debate on a National identity Card isn't for this thread. The government introduced a Public Services Card to facilitate and enhance access to Public Services. It was working reasonably well until Donkey Dixon decided to bray loudly.

I will continue to direct my irritation at whomsoever I may wish to, with or without your approval.

The data protection commissioner is doing her job, one in which she has been criticized heavily by the powers at be in Europe of not doing thoroughly. It's great to see her actually using her powers how they should be used.

If she doesn't do her job the right way we will have the EU do it for her.

As someone who benefits from it more than most even I do not like it in its current form. Why they were keeping utility bills ECT for undetermined time was quite ridiculous.

Calhoun wrote: »
    If she doesn't do her job the right way we will have the EU do it for her.

The EU seems more concerned with the giant US multinationals use of data I think. Same ones that all employ 10s of thousands in the state and pay a huge chunk of our corporation tax. Will be amazed if the Irish data protection body touches that with anything more than kid gloves unless directed to by the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The card was expanded to act as an ID card whether you wish to admit it or not.
    Of course you don't need my approval just pointing out you are completely wrong in whom you are blaming for this F**k up . The fault unless you have a bias is entirely the fault of government as pointed out by almost every commentator since the DPC made her finding .
    You still never explained your delight with the card, any interest in doing so?

fly_agaric wrote: »
    The EU seems more concerned with the giant US multinationals use of data I think. Same ones that all employ 10s of thousands in the state and pay a huge chunk of our corporation tax. Will be amazed if the Irish data protection body touches that with anything more than kid gloves unless directed to by the EU.

Well that's what I was getting at she doesn't start doing he job they might circumvent it. The Germans do not like how we run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have one, though I can't recall that I have ever used it. The free bus pass is a different card, so not sure what the overlap there is.

What was (slightly) interesting was that when it was introduced two friends of mine, and I, were called to go and get it sorted right at the start, but our respective husbands were either not called in, or not for a long time. I wonder was it anything to do with the fact that all of us females were not Irish (2 english, one spanish) while all our husbands were Irish.

Well that's what I was getting at she doesn't start doing he job they might circumvent it. The Germans do not like how we run it.

Completely IMO but it is ultimately a state body. Rapping a government department on the knuckles and showing them who is the boss is one thing. Delving deeply into affairs of the likes of Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft etc who the government base large parts of their industrial/economic strategy on is entirely another. Call me cynical but I just don't believe such a thing would happen because Data Protection Commission is very concerned about how they are using Irish people data or whatever. If it happened it would (ultimately) come via the EU (I suppose from the likes of the Germans as you mention who worry about this stuff).

fly_agaric wrote: »
    Completely IMO but it is ultimately a state body. Rapping a government department on the knuckles and showing them who is the boss is one thing. Delving deeply into affairs of the likes of Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft etc who the government base large parts of their industrial/economic strategy on is entirely another. Call me cynical but I just don't believe such a thing would happen because Data Protection Commission is very concerned about how they are using Irish people data or whatever. If it happened it would (ultimately) come from the EU.

Yah I think it's a veiled attempt to look like it's doing its job. I could be wrong but agree they won't go after the companies with the same rigor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

fmpisces wrote: »
    It's the only valid ID I have at the moment. I don't drive so no license. Passport has expired and am waiting for my divorce before I renew it.

It's not a valid ID. Try using it in a bank or if you get ID'd for buying booze you'll find out. it's only useful for government issued stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

When I went to get mine done, they couldn't find any information about me, even though they booked the appointment and sent me a letter for it. But when I presented identification to them to confirm who I was, when they referred it against the data they had. They couldn't find me. I insisted they sort it out, becuase I wouldn't come back in again. So they called up "CSO" and it seems my surname was down as my dads middle name.

I suspect that they called up "CIS" which stands for Client identity Services.

CSO would know roughly about as much about you as I do!

Yah I think it's a veiled attempt to look like it's doing its job. I could be wrong but agree they won't go after the companies with the same rigor.

Yes that might be it.

It's just a bit sad if this really does mean "bye bye" to the whole Public services card/mygovid.ie effort.
    I want the government bodies and departments to be linking up with each other and sharing my data as they require and to already know who I am when I interact with them. I want secure digital government services where I can verify my identity. I don't really want to be put to more hassle (due to legal Chinese walls between the departments or just the impossibility of linking up data [because we have nothing like a state ID]). Possibly I'm a mug who is not suspicious enough, but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

This current government have literally no clue of what they are doing, the more the likes of this craic goes on is just total proof they literally don't care either. They are getting played all sides by institutional entities already existing within the establishment that know this government don't give a $hite. Fine Gael would want to up their game or else the next general election they'll get binned out quicker than a Christmas day Turkey carcass on New years day. Wont even need a recession in order for it to happen. Totally inept and clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭jimjangles

Hey I was wondering if anyone was thinking of messaging Helen Dixon and asking her about the legality of Seetec.
    Surely what they're doing can't be legal and is a huge breach of people's rights of privacy.
    They're the biggest abuser of this that I can think of.
    The problem was people who were unemployed were forced to go to Seetec, threatened that they would lose their social welfare if they didn't comply.
    So how many rights and laws were being broken there.
    Your right to freedom and your right to privacy so probably multiple laws being broken by the government there.
    They also force you to sign some kind of contract with Seetec or else you lose your benefits.
    That can't be right.
    I'm glad I don't have to deal with Seetec anymore but when you really think about it they are a flipping mafia government for doing that.
    Part with all your data and smile or else it's poverty for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

• Registered Users Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭buried

This is the same crew what are going to face a no deal Brexit.

They couldn't deal with a family deal supermacs meal fcs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭bassy

It's not a valid ID. Try using it in a bank or if you get ID'd for buying booze you'll find out. it's only useful for government issued stuff

I was able to open a account with boi with my pps card.

buried wrote: »
    This is the same crew what are going to face a no deal Brexit.

They couldn't deal with a family deal supermacs meal fcs

Surely it's the civil service pushing usage of the PSC, not a political agenda?

Vologda69 wrote: »

Binned. Thats one of the examples of 'mission creep' that the PSC ended up being used for highlighted in today's findings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't be so sure. Currently 14 statutory Investigations against Facebook Ireland.

Loads more against the other multi techs as well.

Don't be so sure. Currently 14 statutory Investigations against Facebook Ireland.

Loads more against the other multi techs as well.

Hopefully they do it properly, from working with other countries overseas they take data protection very seriously.

looksee wrote: »
    I have one, though I can't recall that I have ever used it. The free bus pass is a different card, so not sure what the overlap there is.

What was (slightly) interesting was that when it was introduced two friends of mine, and I, were called to go and get it sorted right at the start, but our respective husbands were either not called in, or not for a long time. I wonder was it anything to do with the fact that all of us females were not Irish (2 english, one spanish) while all our husbands were Irish.

I doubt it. I was called in and told, never asked or explained to, that i was getting it. I'd say about 8 years ago.
    However my husband who isn't Irish has never been called for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Hopefully they do it properly, from working with other countries overseas they take data protection very seriously.

Having worked in the dpc, they also take it seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    MIA?

They will just suspend paper passes from a certain date on public transport. Somehow I don't think you will turn down free travel...

as I said, I do not use public or any transport.

Advertisement