Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bye bye Public Services Card

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Lots of people don't have them or have any need for them.

also what is the situation about foreign nationals resident here? so no need to apply for eg Irish passport

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Gatling wrote: »
    Doubt it's the end of it ,

A sly change in legislation will Keep it now the majority of the country actually have one
    It's the stretching of what it could be used for that was the clincher in this. Its most common usage in Welfare payments and the basic idea of a single card is not a terrible one, just not one with all that unnecessary data gathering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

This F**k up by FG has cost the taxpayers of this country 60 million and has made the state liable for data protection breaches if individuals wish to sue even if they suffered no harm. Take a bow FG you absolute bunch of incompetent imbeciles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This F**k up by FG has cost the taxpayers of this country 60 million and has made the state liable for data protection breaches if individuals wish to sue even if they suffered no harm. Take a bow FG you absolute bunch of incompetent imbeciles.

Your outrage should be directed at those who voted them in .

Keep up the high levels of vitriole.... doing good:)

Nope, your suggestion is akin to suggesting I should blame the passengers if the pilot crashes.

Thanks it's a forum for opinions and expression however your sarcasm is noted. Any thoughts yourself on the f**k up considering you are a state employee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Having worked in the dpc, they also take it seriously

They don't give off that vibe externally, they look like they are very weak when it comes to private entities.

I would think the outrage should be at the politicians and also the public servants who ****ed up the deployment and rollout but also the retention of data illegally.

You don't vote in politicians and get a full break down of how something will be rolled out. You also would expect the permanent fixture public servants would roll it out correctly and also not break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

So anyone take legal advice yet on taking an action against the government? They were told last year this is a huge data/privacy breach. Surely it's an actionable situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pretty sad state of affairs if class actions are taken in relation to this ruling by the DPC.

The concept of a national identity card is a great idea and look forward to the day it finally comes into being.

So anyone take legal advice yet on taking an action against the government? They were told last year this is a huge data/privacy breach. Surely it's an actionable situation.

Would there be a solicitor in the country that would look at it?
    Genuinely asking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Plenty of poor barristers wanting to make a name for themselves, would probably take it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

seligehgit wrote: »
    Pretty sad state of affairs if class actions are taken in relation to this ruling by the DPC.

The concept of a national identity card is a great idea and look forward to the day it finally comes into being.

We just can't seem to carry out any major project without going around the houses and it costing a fortune.
    Speaking of such,how in the name of Jehova did it cost sixty million?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

kneemos wrote: »
    We just can't seem to carry out any major project without going around the houses and it costing a fortune.
    Speaking of such,how in the name of Jehova did it cost sixty million?

Why do you think it wouldn't?

Why do you think it wouldn't?

I ain't no expert in these matters,but what's involved other than a data base and some equipment to take photos?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I ain't no expert in these matters,but what's involved other than a data base and some equipment to take photos?

Producing the card. Reviewing the different cards you want to use. Paying for the people who are working on the projects. From database admins, software developers, legal administration. Distribution for the cards and any literature produced. And that's just off the top of my head.

I didn't think class action were possible in Ireland?

National ID cards? NO! I dont need to identify myself in my own country. It's a huge infringement on civil liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any significant project of this nature is going to involve some of the following. I'm not justifying the €60m, but I am saying that it's more complicated than a database and taking pictures.
    • Project management and governance
    • Vendor selection and procurement
    • Infrastructure and hardware
    • Software and development costs
    • Testing
    • Training
    • Communications & awareness
    • Legal advice
    • Security and controls

National ID cards? NO! I dont need to identify myself in my own country. It's a huge infringement on civil liberties.

You do need to identify yourself for all sorts. An ID card would make life so much easier for all concerned,and make more services available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's exactly the type of situation class action suits would be appropriate for, but this isn't America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

But you may need to stop someone else identifying themselves as you. That's half the point of the PSC!

But then again, if your precious civil liberty is more important to you than identity theft, then you're now sucking diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Thankfully, FG's attempts to introduce one through stealth has rendered the concept completely toxic. Three cheers for FG and their absolute buffoonery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Another FG disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Jizique

Thankfully, FG's attempts to introduce one through stealth has rendered the concept completely toxic. Three cheers for FG and their absolute buffoonery.

The old fashioned way of proving my identity with a utility bill is clearly the future

Portsalon wrote: »
    But you may need to stop someone else identifying themselves as you. That's half the point of the PSC!

But then again, if your precious civil liberty is more important to you than identity theft, then you're now sucking diesel!

Glug glug glug ahhh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Jizique wrote: »
    The old fashioned way of proving my identity with a utility bill is clearly the future

I think you mean "proof of address". Or do utility bills come with a picture of your face on them nowadays?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Another FG disaster.

You surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,019 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Your last line is a bit of a fallacy.

Revenue you need to produce an ID (your PPS NO)
    Social welfare need to produce ID and still this card
    Stopped by the police need to produce an ID. (Was going to be a thing in the past but gadget police were going to use is been looked at for Data protection)
    Getting a flight still need ID
    Look under 25 could be asked for ID

I think a national ID chart is great

Your last line is a bit of a fallacy.

Revenue you need to produce an ID (your PPS NO)
    Social welfare need to produce ID and still this card
    Stopped by the police need to produce an ID. (Was going to be a thing in the past but gadget police were going to use is been looked at for Data protection)
    Getting a flight still need ID
    Look under 25 could be asked for ID

If you are stopped by the guards walking down the street there is no obligation to have any form of ID on you. Also they need to have a reason to do so. I know we are heading towards a dystopian EU police state but we are no there yet. I suppose people like you are looking forward to it?

Yes when you get on a flight a passport is usually required that's not new, a driving licence will do going to the uk.

People under 25 are not obligated to carry ID either.

I think a national ID chart is great

Do you like the idea of facial ID camera's and micro chipping people too?

Are you the type of person who uses fingerprint or face scan to unlock their phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Similar to eircode, how did that cost 20 odd million?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

jim salter wrote: »
    No only should Regina Doherty and Paschal Donohoe should be charged with offences.

"Public Expenditure and Reform Minister Paschal Donohoe is now calling on anyone over the age of 18 who has not yet signed up for a Public Services Card (PSC) to do so." - https://www.newstalk.com/news/what-is-a-public-services-card-and-do-i-need-one-581773

https://www.thejournal.ie/regina-doherty-psc-4503956-Feb2019/

Not to mention the company who got the contract to handle the data : https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/firms-involved-in-. .
    biometric-database-in-india-contracted-by-irish-government-1.3214640

Not the first time This pair have exposed themselves as idiots. O Donoghue introduced a load of FPN for cycling offenses but left cycling on footpaths out because he wanted to cycle with his kids when they were going to school. Each time you get a whack from someone cycling on paths remember Paschal. Did I use the word idiot to describe him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,514 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

A centralised system that can cross check peoples welfare, revenue and general status e.g. married, permission to work etc, and which can easily share this info with other EU member states sounds like a sensible idea to me. It could instantly detect anyone working and claiming welfare, working when their permission has expired, woking while a spouse is claiming for them etc.

Apparrantely that makes me a right wing extremist, in some circles

Advertisement