Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic car insurance

• 16-08-2019 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi I want to insure a classic car, I have a van as a everyday driver on commercial policy. Does any one know is it possible to get classic insurance when having a commercial insurance
    I rang a few insurance companies but they wont take me on, are they all singing of the same hym sheet?
    Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Have you tried Autoline ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 buzzy111

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

No didint try them, I will contact them and see thanks

It a 91 Toyota carina 1.6, rang a few insurance crowds this morning, all said no with a commercial policy, so I got my brother to ring around this afternoon, he has a private car policy. What they said to him they dont reguard a Toyota carina as classic, another said dont cover Toyota , they are not interested in making money at all, AXA is to ring him back tomorrow.

https://www.iveta.ie/
    Heard from somebody recently that they have no issues with Jap stuff. Please don't take that as Gospel :)

https://www.iveta.ie/
    Heard from somebody recently that they have no issues with Jap stuff. Please don't take that as Gospel :)

Figures crossed they will insure it, will know in the morning, hopefully they wont care that I have a commercial policy,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

First ireland brokers were good for getting classic insurance for me.

Skatedude wrote: »

Tryed them, they wouldn't insure me

I tryed autoline today, they had no bother insuring me great to deal with.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

They've gone to the dogs the last 2 years. I think his year will be my last year with them (over 12 years with them for classic insurance). Their staff have gotten extremely ignorant and rude.

antodeco wrote: »
    They've gone to the dogs the last 2 years. I think his year will be my last year with them (over 12 years with them for classic insurance). Their staff have gotten extremely ignorant and rude.

Ya they told me they couldn't insure me because I had not got a private car policy, when my brother rang them they didn't insure Toyota

• Advertisement

buzzy111 wrote: »
    Ya they told me they couldn't insure me because I had not got a private car policy, when my brother rang them they didn't insure Toyota

Autoline had no issue at all

antodeco wrote: »

I agree, Last 2 years they didn't even send out the renewal paperwork until a few days after the policy was due to renewal, the forms were even dated the day after the policy was due. then weeks passed and kept ringing them and they finally told me they were waiting for me to send in my no claims letter, which they sent to me in the first place. that they had on file.
    Then they said they were waiting for the no claims letter for my other car? Er what other car? i only own the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I agree, Last 2 years they didn't even send out the renewal paperwork until a few days after the policy was due to renewal, the forms were even dated the day after the policy was due. then weeks passed and kept ringing them and they finally told me they were waiting for me to send in my no claims letter, which they sent to me in the first place. that they had on file.
    Then they said they were waiting for the no claims letter for my other car? Er what other car? i only own the one.

I thought you needed a second car as a main drive to have a classic insurance policy on another?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hoboo wrote: »
    I thought you needed a second car as a main drive to have a classic insurance policy on another?

Depends on the company.

You need a 2nd vehicle, which most companies assume to be a car.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 13 apacheah64

Hi lads,
    I'm trying to insure a 1982 car at the moment.
    I only have 9 years named driving experience, never had a policy in my own name.
    I even rang autoline and they told me to get the boat.
    they're all saying the same stuff. am I completely snookered?
    Thanks, Neil.

Sounds like this is a main Car, rather a second car insured on a Classic Policy. It's very difficult to get a classic insured as your main Car. Without a no-claims bonus it's probably impossible (or hugely expensive).

I'm 34 and have an unblemished 9 year driving history.
    they don't give a tinker's curse.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

apacheah64 wrote: »
    I'm 34 and have an unblemished 9 year driving history.
    they don't give a tinker's curse.

Did you try IVETA?

IVETA are only going to sort insurance on a classic ....as long as the Insured has a Main Car.
    It seems like apacheah64 is trying to insure a 1982 Car as his Main Car.

My main car is actually my taxi. I was hoping to use the classic car recreationally.

• Advertisement

Is the Taxi in your name ? Or are you renting the plate ? If it's your's then most Classic Insurers will usually take it as a main Car.

Is the Taxi in your name ? Or are you renting the plate ? If it's your's then most Classic Insurers will usually take it as a main Car.

thanks for the reply. I rent the plate and it is not in my name. ironically I do own the car but I had to transfer it in to the name of the gent I rent the plate from to satisfy the same name on the car/plate taxi criteria.

...and the plate Owner has to insure it, not the Driver/Renter ;).
    Is there a Mrs with her own Car ? Somebody might possibly put you as a named driver on the '82 Car.

...and the plate Owner has to insure it, not the Driver/Renter ;).
    Is there a Mrs with her own Car ? Somebody might possibly put you as a named driver on the '82 Car.

am I really going to have to buy another car I don't want, put the policy in my name, nct it, tax it, and insure it in order to drive another car I do want? This is a ****ing farce now.

Well, technically you probably won't have to NCT it, don't have to tax it, and just leave it parked up.
    It just depends on how much it costs to insure something like an '06 Corsa or similar.
    On the brightside you will be building up a no-claims (which you won't be doing on a classic policy).

Hoboo wrote: »

It was first Ireland themselves that suggested i go onto classic insurance, they know i only own one car as I have been insured through them for many years.

Doubt any new customer would get a quote though.

Advertisement