Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap taxi to the airport?

• 16-08-2019 5:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

I paid €40 for a taxi just now from Clonee to the Airport which is complete robbery.

Anyone know of cheaper or cheaper taxi’s?

All the threads on here are old ones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Peak or off peak, number of passengers, hailed on the street or booked? All makes a difference to cost.Check the NTA's taxi fare calculator to see what it would be.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

Premium rate as before 0800, assume 2 passengers and pre booked rather than hailed gives an approximate cost of €35 to €45.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

I paid €40 for a taxi just now from Clonee to the Airport which is complete robbery.

I just paid 15 from Ridgewood (as close as you can get to the airport). there was 3 quid on the meter when we got in, then it clocked up to 12 by the time we got to drop off, then another 3 added because reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Peatys wrote: »
    I just paid 15 from Ridgewood (as close as you can get to the airport). there was 3 quid on the meter when we got in, then it clocked up to 12 by the time we got to drop off, then another 3 added because reasons.

**** me they saw me comin!

It was just me. No stops. Booked it the night before from 018303030. Don’t know the name of the company. Clonee to the airport direct.

What company did you use?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ridgewood is in Swords, right beside the airport, so the price is not really comparable with a taxi from Clonee. I think the point Peatys was making was that even that close it still cost EUR 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm in Blanch village, getting a taxi out to the airport last time was €37 booked on MyTaxi or whatever they're calling themselves this week. Mad, mad money. I've started deliberately not booking early flights where possible and doing the train/41 combo to get out for €6 or so instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

ive never paid more than 31 from coolmine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Is there any sort of bus service from Dublin 15 to the airport, private or public?

Taxi's are shocking value for money so I try and avoid them at all costs but making multiple connections via city centre with bags just adds to the hassle. Generally drive to the airport but parking is increasingly expensive for anything over a few days especially when we live relatively near where a taxi booking should be economical.

Was there ever anything like Aircoach going via Blanc village or centre.

There used to be a bus to the airport, Urbus I think it was, but it was discontinued a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭thomasj

Peatys wrote: »

The 41 bus will be going 24 hours in the coming months.

The 39 shouldn't be too far behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sad really that a bit down the road in Rathoath and Ashbourne Bus Eireann have a bus service that runs to the Airport and Dublin City, 24 hours a day .

• Advertisement

It's crazy really that there's no direct public transport between D15 and the airport.

Paid €35 with NRC from Clonsilla last week, prebooked. On the way back, from the rank at the airport, it was €29.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Flying Fox wrote: »
    It's crazy really that there's no direct public transport between D15 and the airport.

Paid €35 with NRC from Clonsilla last week, prebooked. On the way back, from the rank at the airport, it was €29.

I think there was a service from D15 to airport a few years ago (Urbus??) but they stopped it due to lack of usage.

In relation to the OP, I've been paying in or around 30-35 euro for years anytime I get a taxi to/from airport to Ongar so 40 euro from Clonee (which is a little further out again and in another county - yes they add a surcharge when they cross the county border - why, I don't know) seems fairly standard so I don't think OP was individually ripped off as I'd say that is in or around the going rate.

Just came back from France and we used Uber a few times (all half the price of onstreet taxis - why Ireland won't introduce them, I don't know...reminds me of pre-deregulation taxi driver protectionism...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭DvB

ongarboy wrote: »
    Iyes they add a surcharge when they cross the county border - why, I don't know)

I challenged this a couple of years back & was told that this doesn't exist & there is no such regulation and if a driver attempted to charge it to get their details & report them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

On a related matter, even after feeling they have been fleeced, does anybody tip the taxidriver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Murt10 wrote: »
    On a related matter, even after feeling they have been fleeced, does anybody tip the taxidriver?

I generally use mytaxi or whatever it is called now. Removed the tip when drivers started adding the €2 pick up charge. Only tip for exceptional service now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,885 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Flying Fox wrote: »

€35 Clonsilla to the airport sounds seriously expensive. It’s about a 15 minute drive.. also to only be charged 29 on the way back that would have included the airport pickup charge too.

ongarboy wrote: »
    they add a surcharge when they cross the county border - why, I don't know
    DvB wrote: »
    I challenged this a couple of years back & was told that this doesn't exist & there is no such regulation and if a driver attempted to charge it to get their details & report them.

There used to be a surcharge when you left the Dublin taxi meter area (i.e. Dublin county), but it was done away with a number of years ago when the whole country was made a single taxi meter area. So now it doesn't matter how far you go or how long the duration of the journey is, you'll be charged at the same rates for all trips. Obviously there can still be extras added for more than one passenger, airport pick-up, anti-social hours, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭corkboy38

I paid €19 from busaras to the airport last week which seemed more than reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Zaph wrote: »
    There used to be a surcharge when you left the Dublin taxi meter area (i.e. Dublin county), but it was done away with a number of years ago when the whole country was made a single taxi meter area. So now it doesn't matter how far you go or how long the duration of the journey is, you'll be charged at the same rates for all trips. Obviously there can still be extras added for more than one passenger, airport pick-up, anti-social hours, etc.

Exactly. I remember Tommy Gorman at the time discussing this on the radio, & that was years back. Hence challenging the driver at the time when I asked him what the extras were on the fare.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Zaph wrote: »

DvB wrote: »
    Exactly. I remember Tommy Gorman at the time discussing this on the radio, & that was years back. Hence challenging the driver at the time when I asked him what the extras were on the fare.

If anyone has concerns about their taxi fares here is a very simple Taxi Fare Estimator tool from Transport For Ireland
    https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/taxi-fare-estimator/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

The sooner Uber arrives in this Rip off Republic the better for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    The sooner Uber arrives in this Rip off Republic the better for all

We have Uber, they just have to be registered metered taxis. Our laws don't allow them to work as they do elsewhere. What you're looking for would be illegal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Caranica wrote: »
    We have Uber, they just have to be registered metered taxis. Our laws don't allow them to work as they do elsewhere. What you're looking for would be illegal here.

Clearly the law need to be changed to align with ya know.............the rest of the civilized world.

Amazing how giving somebody a lift in your car has turned into such a heavily regulated bureaucratic industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭camz09

Guys, quick question... Flying on Wednesday morning to Dublin T1 and was quoted a fixed fare of 30 euros. Is that a fair price dya think? I only used mytaxi/free now and it varies, sometimes I get ~27 to ~32 eur, granted the days I used it varied. Thinking it's a Wednesday, might get more traffic around 7am so do you reckon the fixed quote of 30 would be better? Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

camz09 wrote: »
    Guys, quick question... Flying on Wednesday morning to Dublin T1 and was quoted a fixed fare of 30 euros. Is that a fair price dya think? I only used mytaxi/free now and it varies, sometimes I get ~27 to ~32 eur, granted the days I used it varied. Thinking it's a Wednesday, might get more traffic around 7am so do you reckon the fixed quote of 30 would be better? Thanks!

Instead of risk paying €32?? Fix now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I live beside Blanch IT and it's normally about €30 to the Airport. It is a rip of for a 10-15 minute journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I live beside Blanch IT and it's normally about €30 to the Airport. It is a rip of for a 10-15 minute journey.

Am away in Portugal on a breakeen. Got a taxi last night,3 of us ,the taxi journey was about 35 / 40 minutes each way and that was driving zero traffic delays. The first taxi was probably 2 tears old ,immaculately clears,as was the driver,a/c turned on and adjusted to our liking. The 2nd car was just out of the box it was brand new. That driver was as professional as the first.
    The cost was €21 each way. Youd need to sell your first born to undertake a journey like that at home,and it would be hobsons choice as to what kind of a charabang and steerologist would show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Am away in Portugal on a breakeen. Got a taxi last night,3 of us ,the taxi journey was about 35 / 40 minutes each way and that was driving zero traffic delays. The first taxi was probably 2 tears old ,immaculately clears,as was the driver,a/c turned on and adjusted to our liking. The 2nd car was just out of the box it was brand new. That driver was as professional as the first.
    The cost was €21 each way. Youd need to sell your first born to undertake a journey like that at home,and it would be hobsons choice as to what kind of a charabang and steerologist would show up.

I took a taxi in Bangkok. Journey time 3.5 hours and 11 tolls too. Traffic was mad. Cost €25. Could not even imagine the cost of that here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I took a taxi in Bangkok. Journey time 3.5 hours and 11 tolls too. Traffic was mad. Cost €25. Could not even imagine the cost of that here.

Be cheaper to buy one :)

Advertisement